Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMTRON View Post
I grew up in Scottsbluff, on Broadway to be exact.
I haven't lived there since 2000, but I remember it being a very nice place.
The area is very high school sports oriented, and quite competitive with surrounding towns, from what I remember.
He won't be bored to death as long as he is outgoing and can make friends easily.
Not sure on single men or the price of homes..
Crime rate? Does that even exist?
Just stay away from W. Overland, I remember that being the shotty part of town. Not sure if it still is, but I remember it being kind of bad as far as Nebraska standards go..
CRIME DOES EXIST IN SCOTTSBLUFF, METH IS VERY BIG AND IT'S NOT WEST OVERLAND THATS SHOTTY,IT'S EAST OVERLAND
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 07:41 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Talking Scottsbluff..

I was in Scottsbluff one time

and congrats on your first post suejass!!

meth is a problem everywhere, meth is everywhere and I really doubt that Scottsbluff is going to be unique in that regard.

Some people just dig things up, they will believe what their perception allows them to see, and the same goes with everyone else including myself..

Obviously, there are a lot of people here that like Scottsbluff, obviously not everyone, and I guess that is why suejass is trying to save this person from moving there..

Anyway, most people generally like it and everyone's voice counts, but if the majority likes it then you should be good in that regard

Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Unfortunately, I have not been to Scottsbluff. It is one of the few major Nebraska cities I have not been to along with Lincoln and Beatrice. I have been to all of the others. I find Western Nebraska to have some interesting landscape with a few rugged areas. Most of it was along I-80, which one gets a limited perspective of what the scenery is like when going on an interstate highway. I think that Scottsbluff and Western Nebraska (outside of I-80) would be an interesting area to see on a weekend trip.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:03 AM

139 posts, read 470,377 times
I lived there from the time I was 13 until I was 17, and I remember quickly making friends and everyone being so hospitable. I've been to all sections of Scottsbluff and Gering and I don't remember a "rough" part of town, that just seems laughable. Everyone has their own perception of crime and compared to where I live now (Asheville, NC pop. 71,000) Which still has a low crime rate but makes Scottsbluff look like Mayberry.

I'm actually moving back to Gering in a few weeks, and i'm excited about getting out of the rat race. It has it's small-town issues, but overall I would highly recommend a move to the area.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 26,863 times
Well... I would be selective in where you plan to live though. I lived in a bad part of Scottsbluff sadly when i moved into it, I was abused daily as a minority. I felt what it was like on the other side, surrounded by Hispanics (no offense... They just happened to be Hispanic, its not the race, its the person.) who picked on me daily.

So All the comments seem positive, but still, be selective in exactly where you want to live within Scottsbluff.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 PM

11 posts, read 48,896 times
Default Scottsbluff is great!

I would have to agree with Soundforlanguage. Our economy has not been hit nearly as badly as other areas in the country. Some retail shops are experiencing a bit of a slow down, but there haven't been any hiring freezes. Aurora Loan Services just hired 60 people and is has 30 open positions and the hospital RWMC has about 130 openings. We love it here after leaving the rat race of Los Angeles. They just passed a school bond issue and will be building a new middle school. The hospital is recruiting 25 physicians to the community over the next 5 years. There is a brand new Menard's store which is hiring over 130 people and the new Chili's is going to be opening soon! It really is pretty progressive for a rural Nebraska community with a lot of great things going on! It has a low crime rate, is safe for kids and a is very affordable community!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,201 times
Not to insult people of Western Nebraska, or Scottsbluff specifically, but I find it disappointing. Nebraska, imho, totally ignores the western side of the state. The is supposed to be a new highway running north-south along the western parts of all ther plains states and Nebraska is dragging thier heels. South Dakota is working its ass off to get it done nd to reep ther benefits in the black hills area, but what good as that if Nebraska doesn't finish its part. This highway would greatly benefit Scottsbluff and the rest of western Nebraska. South Dakota proably has the best developed western part that any of the other plains states.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Nebraska has been dragging their butt, I agree. At least the Kimball interchange is getting done. I know the next portion is up in the air again. I will say however that South Dakota has a little more incentive to get it done because it benefits its second largest city and its tourism magnet, the Black Hills. But, that said I totally agree that western Nebraska gets ignored.

By the way, does anybody know if anything happened with the proposal of Scottsbluff and Gering becoming one city?

Last edited by tpabes; 11-21-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 11:03 AM

139 posts, read 470,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
By the way, does anybody know if anything happened with the proposal of Scottsbluff and Gering becoming one city?

I remember some talk of this in the 90's, I suppose it would make sense on the government level, but I really like the character of both towns (especially Gering). I'm sure merging the two would definitely take a lot away from Scottsbluff and Gering's individual charm.

Also, if this were to eventually happen would they merge the name? "Scottsbluff-Gering" I suppose a lot of people say it that way already.

We shall see.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:31 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Scottsbluff seems to be the only major city/town thats not growing, atleast in the city limits.
In City Limits pop.
Columbus went from 20,971 to 21,399 (+.4%)
Lexington went from 10011 to 10115 (+1.1%)
North Platte went from 23,878 to 24,079 (+1.1%)
Norfolk went from 23,146 to 23,516 (+1.5%)
The tri-cities have seemed to have boomed in the last 7 years.
Hastings went from 24,064 to 25,343 (+5.4%!)
Kearney went from 27,431 to 30,129 (+ 8.7%!)
and Grand Island went from 42,940 to 44,802 (+3%)

Scottsbluff however went from 14,732 to 14,692 (-.8%)
and Gering went from 7,751 to 7,645 (-1.7%)

Not that bad but I have to wonder why they aren't experiencing similar growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska