Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 04:21 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times

Advertisements

Orioles to Nashville? First I've heard of this "rumor."

Probably won't happen, but I think it's extremely positive that Nashville is the first city that comes up as a relocation spot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...ooted-for.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:58 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Orioles to Nashville? First I've heard of this "rumor."

Probably won't happen, but I think it's extremely positive that Nashville is the first city that comes up as a relocation spot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...ooted-for.html
We're being used as leverage, period. The son of the owner (who is basically running the operation now) has a home here. It's convenient. And I'd generally be wary of any team expressing interest in relocating here. They're looking for taxpayer money.

I think any proposal to move a team is DOA if the owner doesn't finance a significant portion of the bill for the new stadium that would be needed. I don't think either of the mayoral candidates left are going to heavily pursue this -- certainly not John Cooper -- especially with the recent awareness that Metro needs to work on some budget issues.

At a minimum, I think it is 10-15 years before we're ready to handle MLB.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:41 AM

384 posts, read 229,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
We're being used as leverage, period. The son of the owner (who is basically running the operation now) has a home here. It's convenient. And I'd generally be wary of any team expressing interest in relocating here. They're looking for taxpayer money.

I think any proposal to move a team is DOA if the owner doesn't finance a significant portion of the bill for the new stadium that would be needed. I don't think either of the mayoral candidates left are going to heavily pursue this -- certainly not John Cooper -- especially with the recent awareness that Metro needs to work on some budget issues.

At least that long since the almost new First Tn ballpark is too cramped in by the surroundings to expand. MLB would require an all new stadium. Maybe a dome could be constructed to house both the Titans and a baseball team also, provided the Titans are even still here by then.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:46 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeMed View Post
At least that long since the almost new First Tn ballpark is too cramped in by the surroundings to expand. MLB would require an all new stadium. Maybe a dome could be constructed to house both the Titans and a baseball team also, provided the Titans are even still here by then.
(Edit: I'm totally wrong about this paragraph) I think there was some discussion of expanding First TN in a Tennessean article that outlined the "what ifs" of a potential MLB expansion team in the coming years. Seems like this article ran in the early summer. I forget the specifics, but the article made it sound as though First TN Park could be (dramatically) increased to accommodate the numbers needed for an MLB franchise. I have my serious doubts about the feasibility of this, but my recollection was that the article was pretty adamant that it was possible. *goes to look for the article*

edit: Here's the article from the 1/20/2019 issue of the Tennessean . Possibly paywall. So I was absolutely incorrect, the article specifically states "Metro government spent $91 million in 2015 to build the Sounds' First Tennessee Park — a 10,000-seat stadium that can’t be expanded to major league proportions."

Old 08-14-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

That would make sense! I couldn't see them leaving Baltimore, but hey, money talks too, so you never know.

I think Nashville will get an MLB team--not sure when, but I think interest seems to be very high, when mentioning Nashville & MLB.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:19 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Group trying to bring Major League Baseball to Music City has chosen name: Nashville Stars

from The Tennessean...

A few highlights:

Quote:
The local group, Music City Baseball LLC, led by newcomer businessman John Loar and also including former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and retired pitcher and front office executive Dave Stewart, announced the nickname Wednesday in meetings with local media.

Nashville Stars is an homage to the Negro Leagues, Loar said. Stars was one of several nicknames used by a Nashville team in the Negro Leagues.
Quote:
The team nickname comes with the context that there is no formal effort by the MLB to expand. The decision to expand, and the process of selecting expansion cities typically takes many years.
Quote:
The idea of a big-league franchise coming to Nashville gained momentum last summer when MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred dropped the city's name during a television interview while in Washington, D.C., for the All-Star Game.

"We have a real list of cities that I think are not only interested in having baseball, but are viable in terms of baseball — places like Portland (Ore.), Las Vegas, Charlotte, (N.C.), Nashville in the United States, certainly Montreal, maybe Vancouver, in Canada. We think there's places in Mexico we could go over the long haul," Manfred said.

MLB has stated that any expansion plans are on hold until stadium issues in Oakland and Tampa are settled. The Tampa Bay Rays were given permission from the league office in June to explore playing a split season with games in Tampa and Montreal.
So...don't get too excited, but I guess there's a pretty influential group continuing to stoke the embers of expansion.

As a baseball fan, I'm not in favor of expansion. As a lifelong Nashvillian...I have my doubts that we can support a MLB franchise and support 3 other major sports franchises, but am certainly open to the possibility.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:39 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
They had Dave Stewart and the other guy on yesterday on ESPN 102.5 The Game. Willy and Darren are huge baseball fans but even they said that people shouldn’t get too excited about this happening, at least in the near future.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Group trying to bring Major League Baseball to Music City has chosen name: Nashville Stars

from The Tennessean...

A few highlights:

So...don't get too excited, but I guess there's a pretty influential group continuing to stoke the embers of expansion.

As a baseball fan, I'm not in favor of expansion. As a lifelong Nashvillian...I have my doubts that we can support a MLB franchise and support 3 other major sports franchises, but am certainly open to the possibility.
I was just reading that article.

This is extremely positive news for MLB & Nashville. There are many hurdles, and as the article said, it would be a 3 to 6 year project.

I think the support is there and the fanbase, and I think Nashville can support 4 teams.

I believe Nashville would be the smallest market with 4 teams, but considering the metro area is growing fast, and fan support would be drawn from the rest of TN and possibly other states, I don't believe that's the biggest challenge.

I think the biggest challenge is getting the ballpark built. That will be tough and expensive.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:03 PM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
This is an honest question, and I don't mean to offend any hardcore Soccer fans, but is the MLS really on the same level as an MLB, NFL or NHL franchise. I hear a lot of comments about how an MLB team would not succeed in Nashville, with there already being three Pro Sports, but in my experience, MLS is a smaller league and with less attendance, appeal, etc.

I could be wrong, but just curious.

I think Nashville could support another team, but the MLB, like the NBA, is hard to swing for a lot of cities due to the sheer volume of games in one season.

Although, there is definitely a void of MLB teams in the South outside ATL and Florida.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:18 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
you know who needs a MLB team... Willco. Let them pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville