Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 08:18 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadjaBreton View Post
Shostakovich
Bach
Mozart
Prokofiev
Sibelius
Schubert
Chopin
Janacek
Arvo Part
Brahms
Erik Satie
Schonberg
Saint-Saens
Stravinsky
Tchaikovsky

And oh, so many more!
I love classical, but I listen to so many different genres of music.
Music is life!
I love some of Schubert's short piano pieces - my mum used to play some. Still does sometimes.

I was listening to the radio this morning and they played Saint-Saens's carnival of the animals - a real favourite from when I was little and I had to just sit in the car park at work until it finished, it really took me back!

I think it's good to have eclectic tastes - few of us are just into one genre aren't we? I just replied on the Metallica thread as well - ha ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
I had written earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Everything I know about classical music I learned from Bugs Bunny cartoons But seriously, I have been listening to classical more and more, thanks mainly to the really good classical radio station we have here in Washington DC. I am starting to have quite a few favorites.
And RH1 wrote, in part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
... I was listening to the radio this morning and they played Saint-Saens's carnival of the animals - a real favourite from when I was little and I had to just sit in the car park at work until it finished, it really took me back! ...

Carnival of the Animals is one of my new favorites, thanks to a number of things. I recently retired and have more time with the radio. And here in Washington DC, after chaos and shakeout in the radio market, we have a fine public radio classical station that can play long pieces without interruption. I think I might take a class in music, because I don't know the difference between a concerto or a minuet, etc and am curious about all these many forms.

I've even enjoyed an Opera or two thanks again to this station and the Metropolitan Opera (http://weta.org/fm/opera.php - broken link) programs they broadcast on Saturday afternoons. These Met programs, they explain all the characters and action, interview the players, and make these programs a lively and interesting pleasure. I especially enjoyed Carmen.

RH1 wrote further:
Quote:
... I think it's good to have eclectic tastes - few of us are just into one genre aren't we? I just replied on the Metallica thread as well - ha ha ha.
And I have been writing in the Best Drinking Songs and AC/DC vs Aerosmith threads as well Cheers...

Last edited by quiet walker; 04-23-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Wheres the Steve Reich love?

YouTube - Steve Reich/Music For 18 Musicians

YouTube - Steve Reich/Different Trains

IMO Music for 18 Musicians is one of the most perfect and mesmerizing pieces of work ever composed..period.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
And I have been writing in the Best Drinking Songs and AC/DC vs Aerosmith threads as well Cheers...
Cheers indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Wheres the Steve Reich love?

YouTube - Steve Reich/Music For 18 Musicians

YouTube - Steve Reich/Different Trains

IMO Music for 18 Musicians is one of the most perfect and mesmerizing pieces of work ever composed..period.
Oh this is one of those time where I get really annoyed that I can't view YouTube links. What sort of music is it - is it comparable to any other composers? I'll have to Wikipedia him...

Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
,,, yea, besides the Wiki article Steve Reich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, might also check out:
The Steve Reich Website
Classical Net - Basic Repertoire List - Reich
Steve Reich – Listen free at Last.fm

American Mavericks: An interview with Steve Reich
Essentials of Music - Composers
Amazon.com: "Steve Reich: A Discography" (http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Reich-A-Discography/lm/378A1B9GW5PUQ - broken link)

Thanks to via Chicago for this mention!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Oh and here's another piece I found that I love.

YouTube - PROKOFIEV - Romeo & Juliet - Ballet

Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Oh and here's another piece I found that I love.

YouTube - PROKOFIEV - Romeo & Juliet - Ballet
That's still my absolute favourite ever. I've got a condensed version and the full version on CD. My first boyfriend bought it for me when we were students - I thought it was the most expensive thing ever! A double-CD on a student grant... Ahhhhh....

Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
,,, yea, besides the Wiki article Steve Reich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, might also check out:
The Steve Reich Website
Classical Net - Basic Repertoire List - Reich
Steve Reich – Listen free at Last.fm

American Mavericks: An interview with Steve Reich
Essentials of Music - Composers
Amazon.com: "Steve Reich: A Discography" (http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Reich-A-Discography/lm/378A1B9GW5PUQ - broken link)

Thanks to via Chicago for this mention!
That essentials of music link is interesting. I love the idea of the pendulums piece - I want to hear it now! It's so frustrating that I can't play sound or video clips...

Old 04-29-2008, 06:40 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
That essentials of music link is interesting. I love the idea of the pendulums piece - I want to hear it now! It's so frustrating that I can't play sound or video clips...
Ok, was gonna ask before, but since ya mentioned it again just have to inquire... why can't you play youtube, sound, and/or video clips? You on a dial up w/ the speed of a one-legged tortoise making its way through cold molasses against a head wind, uphill?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
That's still my absolute favourite ever. I've got a condensed version and the full version on CD. My first boyfriend bought it for me when we were students - I thought it was the most expensive thing ever! A double-CD on a student grant... Ahhhhh....
I understand! I've only just heard it again on a tv arts program during the week and now I have to go out and buy it! I can quite imagine the drama I'm going to have trying to get a good version of it and a complete one too.
I'm not very savvy when it comes to buying classical, because I just like the music and I'm always struggling with names and titles and good orchestrations.

It's a beautiful, beautiful piece of music though. And expensive in monetary terms I'm sure, but food for the soul for starving students!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music