Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 07:18 AM

32,120 posts, read 34,781,879 times

Advertisements

Also, the Call of Duty series beat this movie to the punch. They basically stole the ending from a video game that came out 15 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKI-W0kH7vU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 11:56 AM

6,154 posts, read 3,372,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This movie is not that great. Not because they don't fill us in on the causes of the war. The zombie apocalypse genre is notorious for not giving much backstory yet it still has some semi-decent movies and TV shows. The problem with CIVIL WAR is a thin plot. It's a story of four well-known archetypes in cinema--the old fount of wisdom, the fun guy, the cynical veteran and the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed young gunner--taking a cross-Mid Atlantic journey to interview the President. In between skirmishes here and there, and a very predictable dangerous encounter along the way, there are more quiet stretches full of dialogue that don't provide us much information about the characters or the United States of America they inhabit. That's the movie in a nutshell.

The ending almost made me burst out laughing. It was so cheesy and predictable.

The sound engineering, as noted already, is incredible.

It's also weird to see some of these Millennials like Kirsten Dunst and Amanda Seyfried morph into middle aged-actresses taking on roles with more gravitas. That's life, I suppose.
Zombies don’t really need all that much explanation. A virus gone wrong is all you need to know, and that can be assumed. Sometimes, like in I Am Legend, they explain that it was a cancer treatment that didn’t work. But even that isn’t necessary.

Civil War absolutely needs a very detailed backstory in order to work.

This movie started the day before one side would win. We have no idea who was right or wrong or how it initially started. What happened to the military bases in CA and TX? No way would they immediately join the rebels, who I guess are the Western Forces? Most military members assigned to Fort Cavazos or Dyess AFB or any other within Texas, are not Texans, except for small Guard bases. Same in California.

The US military was aligned a lot differently back in 1860.

It’s almost infinitesimally impossible for a shooting Civil war to start up in 2024 and beyond. So because it’s so implausible there needs to be a back story of how it happened.

Otherwise, the audience feels disconnected from the movie.

Old Today, 01:18 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Yea. the person who wrote/directed the movie explained why he had California and Texas team up. He said they are the 2 largest and most independent states by overall infrastructure. Both could have ideological differences with the federal government and still be ok. And that both could have those differences and still think the president killing Americans is wrong and team up .
I figured that had to be the direction he was going with the Texas/California team up, but even at that, they'd only be wartime allies (like the US and the USSR during WWII), not members of the same state under one flag.

Old Today, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Zombies don’t really need all that much explanation. A virus gone wrong is all you need to know, and that can be assumed. Sometimes, like in I Am Legend, they explain that it was a cancer treatment that didn’t work. But even that isn’t necessary.

Civil War absolutely needs a very detailed backstory in order to work.

This movie started the day before one side would win. We have no idea who was right or wrong or how it initially started. What happened to the military bases in CA and TX? No way would they immediately join the rebels, who I guess are the Western Forces? Most military members assigned to Fort Cavazos or Dyess AFB or any other within Texas, are not Texans, except for small Guard bases. Same in California.

The US military was aligned a lot differently back in 1860.

It’s almost infinitesimally impossible for a shooting Civil war to start up in 2024 and beyond. So because it’s so implausible there needs to be a back story of how it happened.

Otherwise, the audience feels disconnected from the movie.
So, we have to take all the backstory as wild fable, then say, "Given an absurdly implausible backstory, this is realistically what would happen next."

Old Today, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Now if you made a movie about our current political climate coupled with a much deeper and prolonged Great Recession 2.0 and vast infrastructure failure (going 2 weeks at a time without electricity), then that might be somewhat believable.
We went through that in Texas a few years ago...and there was no secession from the Union.

Old Today, 01:24 PM

2,911 posts, read 2,155,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I was considering seeing this, and I checked out a few of the review sites, reading at least 24 individual reviews, and generally speaking, leftists like it and righties don't. I think that should tell people something.

Btw, it seems the MAIN objections were plot holes, little explanation as to what happened, and bad acting. Despite anyone's political leanings, I think those three things are enough to make most people pass, and I will be one of those people. It will be interesting to see what it does at the box office, though

what is that something it should tell me?

Old Today, 06:07 PM

20,761 posts, read 8,606,055 times
If you want a great Civil War movie watch Gone With the Wind instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies