Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 09:49 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
We're not talking about a buyer assuming existing obligations from a seller.

We're talking about a buyer who currently has a mortgage on property A, transferring it to property B, with the same interest rate, just a different collateral.

As I said at the beginning, I doubt there are any laws prohibiting this except for government-backed loans. However, 1) it SHOULD NOT be allowed for govt-backed loans, because the increased interest-rate risk is taken by John A and Jane Q Public, who're already on the hook for WAY TOO MUCH; and 2) any bank or mortgage company that'd agree to this would either be idiots or the fees would be so extreme that it'd cost you more than just originating a new loan at prevailing interest rates.
That question has already been answered, IMO. Such a transfer of collateral would only be allowed if the lender (holder of the note/mortgage) agreed to it which I think is very unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 09:53 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Due to affordability, wouldn't lower interest rates promote higher real estate prices?

Altho, I do think you're correct, in that interest rates aren't going to be 2% for a LONG time. (After all, look how long it took to get them into the "2's" the first time.) And it took a pandemic to do it.
Absolutely! And the converse is also true. Higher interest rates will promote LOWER real estate prices on MOST properties. The exceptions would be the homes that typically sell for cash.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:00 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I'm silly enough to think that maybe one should try to keep posts within the general subject of the thread as defined by the OP. Not in a rigid doctrinaire way, but at least somewhere in the general vicinity.
Since the original post has been dealt with quite adequately, there's no issue in discussing tangents.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:25 PM

11,104 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Of course it does, its unlocks all the homes of people not moving due to their low interest rate. Also, depending on the region many homes are being transitioned now into rentals versus selling due to the interest rates.
I don't think people are going to NOT MOVE due to interest rates. People have REASONS to move, like a new job in a new place, a growing young family, marriage and moving in together, downsizing, moving to a retirement location, etc. Interest rates may be one factor in their decision, but for most it wouldn't be the DECIDING FACTOR. Some owners may transition the home to a rental, but there are probably additional factors in that decision too... such as wanting a second income, building a real estate portfolio, holding onto a home because a family member's going to need it later, or waiting for the market to come up to a certain level prior to sale.

Cash sales account for over 30% of home sales nationally, so the interest rate has ZERO bearing on those buyers and sellers. I can't see any banks in the U.S. allowing mortgages to be ported to a different home. That's actually what the OP was about, not assuming a mortgage. It would require restructuring of the mortgage industry.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:28 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Since the original post has been dealt with quite adequately, there's no issue in discussing tangents.
I'm not the one you need to tell this to.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:14 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Too many powerful special interests would be against it.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:12 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
An original borrower should never allow a loan assumption if they are not relieved of repayment responsibilities in case the assumer fails to pay.
Assumable loans used to be quite common, I bought two houses with them and on everyone I ever heard of the originator of the loan isn't on the hook - where did you see a loan like that?

Old 07-25-2023, 04:35 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Assumable loans used to be quite common, I bought two houses with them and on everyone I ever heard of the originator of the loan isn't on the hook - where did you see a loan like that?

The devil is in the details. Sellers allowing assumption should never assume they are off the hook. I would want to see a contractual and recorded cancellation of my obligation to the lender.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/a...s/#pros-v-cons

"(Sellers) You could still be responsible for the debt – If the buyer doesn’t make payments, the seller could potentially be negatively affected. “If the lender doesn’t release the original borrower from liability for the mortgage, and the assumptor defaults, then the original borrower suffers damage to his or her credit rating,” Wooley says. And could even be on the hook for payments."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/assumable_mortgage

Sellers must be careful because they may still be liable for the mortgage even after the sale to the buyer, unless the creditors specifically release them from the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages