Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems like your in major denial? Not saying WV is a klan heaven, but really you are acting as if hate crimes don't happen everywhere in America?

It sounds like you are still doubting careful one after she even showed proof of being assaulted, who are we to judge her opinion of WV?
One she didnt prove of being assualted. She showed a copy of the defendants court notice. I did look it up and it was in point marion and there is a WV area code on the notice. It doesnt prove her claim. If anything it cast doubt on it. The defendant is a thug wannabe who has a FB of them throwing gang symbols. There is also a charge for giving alcohol to a minor. How did that happen at Apple Annies?

I will give them the benefit of the doubt they were assaulted in Point Marion. First I dont see how that is relevant to Morgantown. It is close to Morgantown, but Newark is close to Manhattan and nobody confuses the two.

Finally I do doubt her stories. It is a big stretch from being assaulted by a thug wannabe to having your daughter chased down by a mob for being multiracial and being beaten.

Of course hate crimes happen in America. I actually pointed this out many times in this thread. THere are racist people everywhere, even in NYC and DC.

However, if what she is saying is true she should call Jesse Jackson. Being chased out of resturants, having her daughter beat by a mob, her husband coworkers hating him, people refusing to talk to her when they found out she married a black man, etc. That is the kind of situation that can gather national attention. In fact why did she use the thug wannabe assault as an example when she could just mentioned the alleged lynch mobs that went after her family. It is a much stronger example. At the very least I recommend she tell the Dominion Posts, or the media. It would shock the town as well as the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 PM

16 posts, read 42,182 times
Default Wow! That would be newsworthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
One she didnt prove of being assualted. She showed a copy of the defendants court notice. I did look it up and it was in point marion and there is a WV area code on the notice. It doesnt prove her claim. If anything it cast doubt on it. The defendant is a thug wannabe who has a FB of them throwing gang symbols. There is also a charge for giving alcohol to a minor. How did that happen at Apple Annies?

I will give them the benefit of the doubt they were assaulted in Point Marion. First I dont see how that is relevant to Morgantown. It is close to Morgantown, but Newark is close to Manhattan and nobody confuses the two.

Finally I do doubt her stories. It is a big stretch from being assaulted by a thug wannabe to having your daughter chased down by a mob for being multiracial and being beaten.

Of course hate crimes happen in America. I actually pointed this out many times in this thread. THere are racist people everywhere, even in NYC and DC.

However, if what she is saying is true she should call Jesse Jackson. Being chased out of resturants, having her daughter beat by a mob, her husband coworkers hating him, people refusing to talk to her when they found out she married a black man, etc. That is the kind of situation that can gather national attention. In fact why did she use the thug wannabe assault as an example when she could just mentioned the alleged lynch mobs that went after her family. It is a much stronger example. At the very least I recommend she tell the Dominion Posts, or the media. It would shock the town as well as the nation.

I scanned a copy of the notice for the defendent that was sent to us so we can attend the hearing, that is why the wv address is on it. I tried to protect our privacy by covering some of the personal info. There is an alcohol charge on it because they were drinking. Big surprise there I'll bet! You managed to look it up anyway... Oh well, Very clever.

Apple Annies was a seperate incident. People at another table made it clear with words and gestures that they wanted us to leave. We left. Not a big deal.

My daughter was assaulted by two people not a lynch mob. She was attacked initially because of a girl getting jealous over a guy who seemed interested in my daughter. It turned racial after they beat her and she tried to leave, they chased her (in a car)and threatened to kill her. I have already explained this.

I could see where it would be difficult to believe the story you are telling however it is not what I said at all.

Why are you being so hateful about this? You keep misquoting me and using dramatic language. Sarcasm seems to be your best friend. This could have been a much different discussion. Arghhh....

Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carefulone View Post
I scanned a copy of the notice for the defendent that was sent to us so we can attend the hearing, that is why the wv address is on it. I tried to protect our privacy by covering some of the personal info. There is an alcohol charge on it because they were drinking. Big surprise there I'll bet! You managed to look it up anyway... Oh well, Very clever.

Apple Annies was a seperate incident. People at another table made it clear with words and gestures that they wanted us to leave. We left. Not a big deal.

My daughter was assaulted by two people not a lynch mob. She was attacked initially because of a girl getting jealous over a guy who seemed interested in my daughter. It turned racial after they beat her and she tried to leave, they chased her (in a car)and threatened to kill her. I have already explained this.

I could see where it would be difficult to believe the story you are telling however it is not what I said at all.

Why are you being so hateful about this? You keep misquoting me and using dramatic language. Sarcasm seems to be your best friend. This could have been a much different discussion. Arghhh....
Well I believe you now and must say that I'm sorry this happened. There's a lot of crappy people in the world, and Morgantown isn't exempt. I still think it's a fine place for anyone, but I guess this stuff did happen.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
It can happen anywhere. It seldom happens here. I have never seen it happen here, and I have been hanging around here a very long time.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Perhaps that is the shocker of this issue...what made it so dramatic and difficult to believe.

That these incidents don't seem to happen here often.

This country is polarizing socially...the younger generation (x,y,z, I call them the loser generation) have negative role models...they exist with almost an 'ex-convict, gangbanger type mentality...

These incidents are a 'tip of the iceberg that will become more common as time goes by.
Get ready for it...It also shows the naivety of us who post on this blog.

Thanks for the lesson Careful one.
I'm deeply sorry that you and your family have been the victim of this violence and stupidity.

Wv has been a type of shelter from the outside world for a long time. Those times are changing too quickly.

Let me add this as a caveat:

20 years ago, the politicians wanted prisons here...
Money for them and their cronies in providing goods and services...touted the jobs that it would create.

Greene County's biggest business is their prison...We have one too but it's at Bruceton Mills.
The families of the incarcerated follow them and suck into the welfare system where their loved one is jailed.

My gut feelings is your incident was connected with someone from this chaste.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 PM

I have an opinion about potential problems and how to avoid them. I believe our leaders have steered us in the wrong direction because it was easier than doing what is really needed.

Dr. Martin Luther King was on the right track. He talked about integration and eliminating differences and barriers between races, essentially making race a non issue. Our country had centuries of emphasizing racial differences, so that approach was met with resistence on the part of many whites. Suprisingly, after attempts were made at integration all over the country, it was met with resistence on the part of many blacks as well. People were clinging to their old notions of racial identification and reluctant to give them up. The result was a movement to keep race as a defining issue by instituting a "diversity" movement. This is in direct contravention to the teachings of Dr. King.

Along with diversity, came special preferences for blacks under a program called Affirmative Action. This program says that if two people have essentially equal qualifications, and in some cases if a black person has even the minimum qualifications, the advantage passes to the black person for the job, for admittance to academic programs, and other selective processes in society. We can debate the merits of this program ad infinitum... does it compensate for past injustice, give a leg up, and so forth? But it is no secret that it has caused massive resentment on the part of many whites who believe they are being discriminated against when they themselves had no part in any past discriminations. The same argument, by the way, is applied to gender issues male vs. female.

The diversity movement, good or bad, has accentuated diffrerences rather than unity and integration. There is a flip side to everything, and if blacks or whites wish to maintain some kind of special identity rather than making race a true non issue, there is likely to be some negative consequences associated with that. It is just impossible to truly have it both ways. In my opinion, we come about as close as possible to making race a non issue given the overall diversity climate perpetuated in the country, often in official circles.

By the way, I want to say this is just my opinion and I recognize there are other points of view on this. In 1964 my late college roomate and I helped integrate the New Orleans city bus system (blacks sat in the back of the bus at that time), and a very good friend of mine (he happens to be a black man) participated in the Selma march and is good friends with the King family. He happens to promote diversity so we disagree on that issue.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 01-22-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Thank you for your kind words David Kennedy.

Yes, I agree with you about the role models for this generation. It's sad to see little kids imitating gang bangers. I remember being shocked by seeing a young girl in a Missy Elliot video-now it is more common place. It seems that our young people are fed a steady diet of aberrant sex, addiction and dysfunction. The bottom feeders are rewarded with reality tv shows and attention. Don't see how we could expect anybody to be trying to improve the world if this is their experience.

What you said about the prisons is interesting and not something that I have thought about before now. Makes sense though. Sad that prisons are a business now.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Default Affirmative action

I wonder if there would be less resentment on the part of whites if they truly understood how Affirmative Action worked. It didn't just benefit black families, it benefited white families as well. The program was created to ensure that minorities were hired. Women in those days were considered to be a minority. Hence some companies "double dipping" if they could recruit a black woman. It reminds me of the myth that black people are the majority of folks on welfare when the statistics show that the majority of welfare recipients are white. Even when you break it down to ethnic groups white people have a higher percentage of welfare recipients within their piece of the pie chart. It is interesting to note that with our recent unemployment numbers showing an average of about 8% unemployment nationally, black unemployment numbers are reported to be much higher. Some places as high as 26%. How do we explain this disparity?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM

I don't have any answers for your questions. I think it would take a lot of objective research to answer them. At the same time, some of your comments require further explaination. It is true that whites comprise more people on welfare than other races, but whites are still a majority race. In fact, they still constitute several times the number of folks as do blacks so your statement is somewhat misleading on the face. Just sayin'. As a "percentage" of population there are still far more blacks on public assistance. I have no explaination for that either. For people (like me) who have spent a lot of time working with recipients, and given the "diversity" climate that exists, it is clear that there are cultural differences in terms of acceptability of taking public assistance, for one thing.

There is still a vestage of discrimination and racism in our country. In my personal opinion, the diversity movement only serves to perpetuate it. A climate of true integration and assimilation, as espoused by Dr. King, would virtually eliminate it.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Affirmitave has been a boon to White Wv kids...got them into the Ivy League schools didn't it?

We are working on that right now for my neice. White, 18 yrs old, 4.0 at Marshall and transfering to WVU in the fall. All the scholarships in place...

Graduate Degree? Ivy League of course..and she will make it because being from poor old Wv is her ticket in.
They want to mentor, be diverse and give our poor applachian kids a leg up.

Well baby! Here we come...working the system all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown