Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 08:15 AM

310 posts, read 777,426 times

Advertisements

Hey all. we are thinking about moving to Montana. I have a wish list and thought i would start here.
im looking for
Mountain views
water view
a fair amount of trees as opposed to plains
45 mins to a hospital
45 mins to a good grocery store
30 mins to fishing
20+ acres
Im sure there is more. I just want to narrow down the part of the state where i would have the best luck hitting most of my list and you guys know best.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 09:29 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
How big of a town do you want to be near? Some of what you described might cost several hundred thousand or a few million if you want to be near any sort of population.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:27 PM

310 posts, read 777,426 times
like i said, 45 mins to a hospital and good grocery store

Old 11-29-2023, 01:30 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Somewhere around Kalispell comes to mind, with the caveat that properties are very pricey in the NW right now, especially since Kalispell is the gateway to Glacier National Park.

You may want to include North Idaho in your search. You've got a decent hospital in Sandpoint, three very good grocery stores, a WalMart, views + fishing: Lake Pend Oreille; wooded hills; two mountain ranges (the Cabinets and the Selkirks).

Old 11-29-2023, 02:49 PM

57 posts, read 61,307 times
What is your budget? 20 acres will cost you a fortune. Not to mention sewer and water.

Old 11-29-2023, 05:22 PM

Are you going to need a job? There aren't many of those in small towns anywhere.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:08 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Something like this?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Don't trust the map. The property is NW of the town of Clark Fork. 30 miles from hospital and grocery stores, 5-6 miles from a local market, less than 10 miles from fishing. 10 miles or so from the Idaho-Montana border. I can tell you more about the general area if you're interested.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 11-29-2023 at 07:18 PM..

Old 11-30-2023, 12:17 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Here in the Flathead it's all gone or priced so dumb that only dumb money would buy it - appears to be plenty of that still happening. IF it's priced aggressively, there's something wrong - so buyer beware.

Between the gloomy Winters and huge influx of wealth, egos, and the bottom-feeders that come with all that, it's just a matter of time before we pull stakes. It's been great for my wife's career, which is what brought us here in the first place.

We had realistic expectations coming in, but the past few years has tested our patience. That short period of time was the most insane experiment The Fed has ever pulled off - and now it's wrecked everything.

No idea where we'll end up, but hopefully not close to a major tourist destination full of ego-stroking billionaires and people who worship status and money.

Old 11-30-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Here in the Flathead it's all gone or priced so dumb that only dumb money would buy it - appears to be plenty of that still happening. IF it's priced aggressively, there's something wrong - so buyer beware.

Between the gloomy Winters and huge influx of wealth, egos, and the bottom-feeders that come with all that, it's just a matter of time before we pull stakes. It's been great for my wife's career, which is what brought us here in the first place.

We had realistic expectations coming in, but the past few years has tested our patience. That short period of time was the most insane experiment The Fed has ever pulled off - and now it's wrecked everything.

No idea where we'll end up, but hopefully not close to a major tourist destination full of ego-stroking billionaires and people who worship status and money.
Dumb money? Aggressively priced? What do those phrases even mean? What's the experiment the fed (federal government) has done?

Old 11-30-2023, 06:56 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Dumb money? Aggressively priced? What do those phrases even mean? What's the experiment the fed (federal government) has done?
The Fed kept the overnight bank funding rate at 0% from ~April 2020 to April 2022 while it flooded the system with liquidity and doled out 'stimmies' and PPP loans. Unprecedented.

Inside of a year, the interest rates more than doubled starting in '22. Unprecedented.

The rest is self explanatory, or should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana