Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 09:53 PM

211 posts, read 119,096 times

Advertisements

Hey there - So I currently live in the Edgewater Neighborhood in Chicago -

I have been looking to buy a modest condo in the next year or two and I've visited Milwaukee a number of times. I enjoy the surrounding areas a lot too. The Driftless, Door County, and being relatively closer to Marquette and by extension Pictured Rocks and it's a little closer to Duluth/Superior Trail region.

I like being near Lake Michigan and I enjoy the preferrable topography Milwaukee has to Chicago, although it's still not a super hilly city or anything. And it's nice to still be in reasonable distance to Chicago with the Amtrak right near downtown as well.

I like the presence of various chicago franchises like Lou Malnatis, Pizanos, and Taqueria Comales. And I feel Milwaukee is a very nice middle sized city.

Originally from Johannesburg ZA so definitely feel comfortable with the crime in Milwaukee.

I feel Milwaukee is one of the nicest midsized cities I've spent time in

- I do envy St Louis's low property taxes, but Milwaukee has better urban planning at present, is on the lake, and is closer to nature I enjoy (not to discount the nice hilly terrain in many of St Louis's suburbs though) -

Also in Milwaukee I'd be purchasing a house, rather than a condo. Condo's in Milwaukee seem closer to Chicago's rates, at least when being compared to second and third-tier Chicago neighborhoods -

Something that does occur to me is I wonder about the incidences of break-ins.
I'm looking to live some place where I can have a strong work/life balance and not have to constantly worry about a massive property tax hike or the pension crisis or anything like that - Looking to likely learn a trade before I move as well.

But going off topic. Wondering if I was to be away from Milwaukee for a while (a few months here and there maybe, like doing work in Africa or something) would there be any solid preventative measures to prevent a break-in or at least protect my valuables? Or is that sort of crime not be a huge concern or would have a good work around?

So that's my general take away.
I love Chicago, but I can't really relax thinking about all these costs that could arise and I just don't see my income keeping up perpetually with the costs of political/economic turmoil -

And with a condo I'd be paying HOA fees forever. Yes, houses are expensive for repairs and the like but there's a fair bit you can do to fix things yourself if you're willing to learn and be handy, HOA fees are not negotiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 07:55 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Buy a house in Milwaukee suburbs, Ozaukee or Waukesha counties, not the Milwaukee itself and you'd enjoy lower tax rate and lower criminal rates, 2 in 1.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:45 AM

Are there good old urban walkable areas in those burbs?

Not huge on New Urbanism. Definitely know Milwaukee is somewhat car dependent, but like to be able to walk around or take transit if I want as well.

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post

Not huge on New Urbanism. Definitely know Milwaukee is somewhat car dependent, but like to be able to walk around or take transit if I want as well.

Thanks!
A person can live in Milwaukee without a car. We have bus system to travel anywhere in Milwaukee county, and there's Uber if you want something extra

Old 02-27-2023, 06:51 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post

Thanks!

I don't know Ozaukee. I did a fair amount of work in the 90s in Waukesha. Unless something is drastically changed, I'd never live there without a car. Not really feasible. Of course, I wouldn't live there with a car.

Just stick to Milwaukee. It's a great medium sized city. Just did another Madison / Milwaukee visit last month. One of my good friends bought a condo in Walkers Point several years ago. Loves it. There is a ton to do for a city its size, and we never got in our cars when getting around during my visit. It's not the easiest city of its size to be car free, but if you just want to walk, bike, bus, uber most of the time and have a car for weekends or just commuting to work, its very doable.

Old 02-28-2023, 03:52 PM

I knew a guy who lived in Milwaukee for several years without a car at all. I traveled by bus here and there when car was left at a shop for repairs and it's not a problem at all. I was able to ride a bike through the trail system from North to Center and then across in about 1 hour. And I knew a guy (another one, not the one who has no car) who biked to and from work all seasons, spring, fall and winter included (this dude did it mostly for health reasons).

So, it's totally doable when you live in Milwaukee county, not in the suburbs.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:58 PM

Ah I see thanks! Yeah I really like Milwaukee. It reminds me in places of San Francisco and Oakland. Not just Chicago. It’s a very well built and scaled city that has done a really good job, despite crime, in keeping a continuous swath of its city feeling very nice and prosperous.

Milwaukee literally feels like a much richer city than it is because of these smart urban planning choices!

Old 03-01-2023, 07:39 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know Ozaukee. I did a fair amount of work in the 90s in Waukesha. Unless something is drastically changed, I'd never live there without a car. Not really feasible. Of course, I wouldn't live there with a car.

Just stick to Milwaukee. It's a great medium sized city. Just did another Madison / Milwaukee visit last month. One of my good friends bought a condo in Walkers Point several years ago. Loves it. There is a ton to do for a city its size, and we never got in our cars when getting around during my visit. It's not the easiest city of its size to be car free, but if you just want to walk, bike, bus, uber most of the time and have a car for weekends or just commuting to work, its very doable.
I lived in Port Washington, and while the city is definitely walkable, Ozaukee County is not.

RM

Old 03-01-2023, 07:57 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I loved fishing off the piers in Port Washington, nice place.

Old 03-02-2023, 11:51 AM

2,659 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I loved fishing off the piers in Port Washington, nice place.

Cool memory- your comment reminded me of being in college in MKE area. I fished piers all up and down the SE WI coast. It was a way to be outside in the fresh air. Watching sun come up over Lake Michigan was awe inspiring. Sometimes actually caught fish!

Many a morning I forced myself out of bed after 3-4 hrs sleep and somewhat hungover. Being outside on the pier helped get rid of the hangover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee