Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 11:39 PM

10,190 posts, read 15,063,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence2148 View Post
There is no place in the United States like Miami-Dade County. Its attractions include the Caribbean sun, beautiful beaches, the nightlife, and the Spanish-speaking entertainment industry.
Nowhere in Florida is in the Caribbean. Jamaica is in the Caribbean. So is Cuba, Trinidad, the Virgin Islands… Florida not so much. How can a place have a “Caribbean sun” when it isn’t the Caribbean or even bathed by the Caribbean Sea? That’s like saying Southern Portugal is the Mediterranean when it isn’t or Cancun is in the Gulf of Mexico area when it isn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence2148
Not even in New York City, the world's capital, with all its diversity, there are so many people born outside the United States.
I doubt that. NYC has a population of 8 million+ while Miami-Dade is around 2.6 million. If 54% of Miami-Dade population was born outside the USA, that’s about 1.4 million. How exactly is that more than the 5.8 millon immigrants that live in NYC? You can fit more than 2x the Miami-Dade immigrant population in NYC’s immigrant population alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence2148
Although Miami-Dade is geographically located in the United States, it feels like the backyard of Latin America, a more prosperous republic than the original countries of its inhabitants.
There are many places throughout the USA where it’s possible to live without ever speaking English. That still doesn’t mean these places are not in the USA.

Something similar to when one is referring to the American media. Yes, NBC, ABC, CBS and the likes are part of the American media. So too is Univision and Telemundo since they are based in the USA. It doesn’t matter they are Spanish-language channels and most Americans don’t watch them. The same could be said of BET. Most Americans don’t watch them either and it’s a media mostly focused on African Americans, but it’s based in the USA and their consumption is mostly in the USA. They are as much American media as all the others.

The same with the written press. People en Español, El Diario La Prensa NY, etc are all American. Yes, geared towards Hispanic Spanish speakers, but nontheless American.

The Goya foods in the supermarkets? American. Do most Americans cook with Goya? No. Is it still an American brand? Yes.

Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 04:21 AM

17,381 posts, read 15,535,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Whether Miami is the closest to Africa or second closest, either way, it would be pretty short sighted for South FL not to have some sort of connection (cultural, economic, financial, logistic, etc.) to the continent. Miami-Dade is desperately trying to have an air link to Far East Asia and Australia via MIA, and I'm with whatever it takes to have air service to Tokyo, Taipei, and Hong Kong, but even though Africa does have a lot of underdeveloped lands, and Africa is the poorest continent on the globe, there are pockets of economic growth in certain countries such as Egypt, Ethiopia, and Morocco.

While the northern hemisphere in Africa may be closer to NY than Miami, I'm wagering that the southern portion is a lot closer to Miami. And much of Africa is in the tropics, and if one were to immigrate to America, the old guard cities of New York and Chicago would make the typical African feel homesick, but Sunbelt cities like Houston and Miami would be perfect.
Miami has little to no connection to any part of Africa. Language and culture being one of many, MANY reasons.

I’ll add to this, it’s obvious without even knowing where you’re from, that you’re not from Miami, or even Florida at all.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-06-2024 at 04:56 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 05:19 AM

25,939 posts, read 12,960,297 times
I thought the Libs were for tolerance, & coexisting? I thought they were for mass immigration, & cultural diversity?

I think the OP needs to visit the Statue of Liberty, & adopt inclusiveness for our Spanish speaking newcomers.

Based upon what I've been seeing take place on college campuses recently, I'm okay w/ Miamian's staying clear of them.

Lastly, to start a new household costs money, & most Americans use consumer debt to help fund it...which is why Miami has a lot of consumer debt.

I wonder if the deliquency rate in Miami is higher versus the other large cities?

Last edited by beach43ofus; 05-06-2024 at 05:40 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 05:42 AM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Why can't people in Miami (or south Florida, for that matter) follow some basic etiquette rules? There seems to be no more people of character any more. What ever happened to returning your shopping cart to its proper location? Turn off your high beams at night in traffic, hold the door open for folks behind you, say please and thank you, use your turn signal, and please, please, PLEASE, why can't you stay off your frigg'n speaker phone in public?

I know why. The rules simply don't apply to Floridians.
Ok if you go to Philly will you find polite people returning shopping carts and greeting you nicely? Probably not.

I will say Miami has an attitude and a lot of people come from areas that are not as nice/trashed so when they treat Miami "like home" then it too becomes trashed. The Miami crowd has ruined the upper keys in the same way then it gets overfished when they don't follow the rules down there either.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:30 PM

195 posts, read 141,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok if you go to Philly will you find polite people returning shopping carts and greeting you nicely? Probably not.

I will say Miami has an attitude and a lot of people come from areas that are not as nice/trashed so when they treat Miami "like home" then it too becomes trashed. The Miami crowd has ruined the upper keys in the same way then it gets overfished when they don't follow the rules down there either.
I've lived and traveled throughout San Diego, Los Angeles, Houston, Las Vegas, San Francisco, New York, New Jersey, Honolulu and throughout the Caribbean. I have never seen so many people lacking such basic etiquette skills than south Florida. How hard is it to remove your hat before entering a restaurant, for Pet's sake?

Old 05-06-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I've lived and traveled throughout San Diego, Los Angeles, Houston, Las Vegas, San Francisco, New York, New Jersey, Honolulu and throughout the Caribbean. I have never seen so many people lacking such basic etiquette skills than south Florida. How hard is it to remove your hat before entering a restaurant, for Pet's sake?
What kind of restaurant are we talking here?
If it's a Chic Fil A, I don't expect a team full of soccer kids and parents in shorts and t-shirts to take their hats off. A lot of "nicer" restaurant, even mid/upper steakhouses, have standard dress codes, and I don't recall seeing patrons wearing hats in there. I don't think you can walk into a Ruth's Chris wearing cargo shorts and a Yankees ballcap, for instance.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
What kind of restaurant are we talking here?
If it's a Chic Fil A, I don't expect a team full of soccer kids and parents in shorts and t-shirts to take their hats off. A lot of "nicer" restaurant, even mid/upper steakhouses, have standard dress codes, and I don't recall seeing patrons wearing hats in there. I don't think you can walk into a Ruth's Chris wearing cargo shorts and a Yankees ballcap, for instance.
It doesn't matter. I guess I was raised differently. Proper etiquette is for a man to remove his hat before walking indoors. There's a thread here, somewhere about hats and wearing them indoors. Yep, most would agree, remove the hat. It doesn't bother me when I see it but it's just a sign that some people just don't have a clue, or simply just don't care. In other words, they were never taught proper etiquette. It's just like talking on speaker phone while in public where everybody can hear your conversation. Now that goes beyond just proper etiquette, that's downright rude and disrespectful, for both all that can hear, as well as the person you are speaking with. These kinds of things happen more frequently in south Florida. Yes, there are folks wearing ball caps at Ruth's Chris, at least here in Florida, there are.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fash...ball-caps.html

Old 05-07-2024, 07:24 AM

1,954 posts, read 3,337,547 times
Quote:
If you lived in NJ you know that every Hoboken bro proudly wears their hat and hoodie into every dive bar on Washington Avenue. Same in LA - none of the cholos taking their hats off for anyone. Ask them fellas to do so and tell me how that goes. LOL!

Old 05-07-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter. I guess I was raised differently. Proper etiquette is for a man to remove his hat before walking indoors. There's a thread here, somewhere about hats and wearing them indoors. Yep, most would agree, remove the hat. It doesn't bother me when I see it but it's just a sign that some people just don't have a clue, or simply just don't care. In other words, they were never taught proper etiquette. It's just like talking on speaker phone while in public where everybody can hear your conversation. Now that goes beyond just proper etiquette, that's downright rude and disrespectful, for both all that can hear, as well as the person you are speaking with. These kinds of things happen more frequently in south Florida. Yes, there are folks wearing ball caps at Ruth's Chris, at least here in Florida, there are.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fash...ball-caps.html
Ruth’s Chris has a dress code.
They don’t allow you to wear hats at the table. You can only wear that at the bar.

https://ruthschris.net/restaurant-et...UIRED%20PLEASE.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Ruth’s Chris has a dress code.
They don’t allow you to wear hats at the table. You can only wear that at the bar.

https://ruthschris.net/restaurant-et...UIRED%20PLEASE.
That rule has no meaning in south Florida. People wear hats at Ruth's Chris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami