Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 AM

1,045 posts, read 758,454 times

Advertisements

Spaniards are nothing like Latin Americans, though there are a lot of Latin Americans who think they are Spanish. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 12:25 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Spaniards are nothing like Latin Americans, though there are a lot of Latin Americans who think they are Spanish. LOL.
A little Spain in Mexico.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2U0Z9ljJfU

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 12-11-2019 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-11-2019, 03:00 PM

24 posts, read 61,251 times
Quote:
Culturally speaking Latin Americans share a lot with Spain. The main big one is language. The vast majority of Latin Americans have mixed Spanish ancestry, in varying degrees. I see no problem with Latin Americans claiming that they have Spanish heritage, specially when there's a lot of us that have predominantly Spanish ancestry.

Now, claiming they are from mainland Spain, then thats a different story, since they are not Spaniards. Spaniards are the ones that were born in the Iberian Peninsula.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:53 PM

630 posts, read 525,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC193 View Post
Culturally speaking Latin Americans share a lot with Spain. The main big one is language.
A great deal of Latin Americans do not speak Spanish, more than 200 millions people.
Quote:
The vast majority of Latin Americans have mixed Spanish ancestry, in varying degrees. I see no problem with Latin Americans claiming that they have Spanish heritage, specially when there's a lot of us that have predominantly Spanish ancestry.
No problem with claiming spanish heritage. The problem is denying and looking down on the Native heritage that too often is the elephant in the corridor. Nearly all African Americans have English ancestry
Quote:
Now, claiming they are from mainland Spain, then thats a different story, since they are not Spaniards. Spaniards are the ones that were born in the Iberian Peninsula.
What's mainland SPain?
Quote:
Spaniards are the ones that were born in the Iberian Peninsula.
Spaniards are the ones born to spaniards parents anywhere in the world.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I'm sure your this type of folkloric dance is common ground in Mexico

Old 12-12-2019, 12:54 AM

24 posts, read 61,251 times
[/quote][quote=iron_stick;56843057]A great deal of Latin Americans do not speak Spanish, more than 200 millions people.
Most Latin Americans do speak Spanish, with the exception of people from places like Haiti or Brazil.

No problem with claiming spanish heritage. The problem is denying and looking down on the Native heritage that too often is the elephant in the corridor. Nearly all African Americans have English ancestry

Who says they are denying Native American heritage or looking down on them? At least I don't. I also have Native American ancestry even if it is a small amount on me, but I still have it. I am not denying it, just like I supposed many other Latin Americans of mixed Spanish ancestry.

I have a hard time understanding what you meant with the "the elephant in the corridor"?

What do African Americans have to do with this topic??? We are talking about Latin Americans!

What's mainland SPain?

I am not even going to answer this. You already know what I meant.

Spaniards are the ones born to spaniards parents anywhere in the world.

Wrong! Spaniards are the people that were born in Spain. People that were born outside of Spain from Spanish parents are of Spanish ancestry, not Spaniards. Back in the New Spain, when Mexico and Central America was a providence of Spain, people born in the Americas of Spanish parents, or of full or predominantly Spanish ancestry were called "Criollos". But that term is too archaic and it doesn't have any meaning in current times.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:47 AM

290 posts, read 179,372 times
Mexico is more Americanized
Spaniards are pretty European

BEHAVIOUR
Mexicans play nice to strangers like Americans.
Spaniards are whatever with strangers like Europeans.

WAY OF LIFE
Spaniards are like a typical mediterranean people, more focused on the self, the sun, the sea, the good body, the good food.

Mexicans are more like Texans, big family, big food, big everything.

SPAIN REGIONAL DIFFERENCES
Spaniards vary a lot by region.

Catalans are more stand offish, insular, not as warm. They are southern French like

Andalucians share some similarities with Greeks, Southern Italians, its all about party, beach, relax,the festival etc.

Basques are orderly, workholic, closed.

Gaelicians are more of the sea, like their celtic cousins in Scotland and Ireland

Mexicans are different, they also have their regional variations but they vary from the Spanish ones
Which is not a bad thing.Mexicans have a strong native American input to them... very similar to the native Americans in the US.

Ever been to a Hopi reservation in Arizona... its pretty similar to Mexicans, very centered around staples like corn, big families, spiritual beliefs which Mexicans have mixed with strong Catholicism and native American influences.

SOCIETY
Socially speaking, Spaniards treat each other equally with prejudice based on regional diferences.

Mexicans still hold onto to that caste system hierarchy established by the Spaniards, so richer whiter mexicans get more respect than poor brown ones.

Last edited by backpaker; 12-12-2019 at 02:57 AM..

Old 12-12-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
What do African Americans have to do with this topic??? We are talking about Latin Americans!
African Americans have to do with the topic in the sense that, just like mestizos in Latin America, they are the product of colonial societies and of mixed race, but unlike the aforementioned mestizos they never mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Wrong! Spaniards are the people that were born in Spain. People that were born outside of Spain from Spanish parents are of Spanish ancestry, not Spaniards. Back in the New Spain, when Mexico and Central America was a providence of Spain, people born in the Americas of Spanish parents, or of full or predominantly Spanish ancestry were called "Criollos". But that term is too archaic and it doesn't have any meaning in current times.
I wasn't thinking about those folks from the colonial times. There are many people born to Spanish parents disseminated through Europe, and they are as spaniard in the law's eyes. There many Hispanics living in Spain, ask them if the locals welcome with arms wide open. The answer might be eye opening and/or painful.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:37 AM

290 posts, read 179,372 times
Quote:
Do you realise Latin American is larger, more populated than the United States, and culturally far more diverse than the US will ever be.

What makes you think you know anything about that many people in that giant part of the planet.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:47 AM

8,330 posts, read 2,960,093 times
Mexicans are much more violent. Homicide rates 2017: Mexico 25 per 100k. Spain less than 1 per 100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico