Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 08:59 PM

5,010 posts, read 591,459 times

Advertisements

One of the World’s strictest anti-tobacco laws has been imposed in Mexico, setting in force a total ban on smoking in public places, including hotels, beaches and parks.

How will Mexico's anti-tobacco law affect tourists who are smokers? I wonder but don't care since I quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 09:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
I guess the tourists won't be allowed to bring their own tobacco products across the border with them, otherwise they'd likely be charged with the attempted smuggling of contraband into the country.

Old 07-16-2023, 06:29 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
The tourists are less impacted than the locals I'd say. Mexicans smoke at a higher rate than most countries due to relatively low taxes and the hands off approach to smoking up until the last 10-15 years. I remember it sucked when they still had smoking in restaurants and especially cafes and bars.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:39 PM

30 posts, read 22,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
One of the World’s strictest anti-tobacco laws has been imposed in Mexico, setting in force a total ban on smoking in public places, including hotels, beaches and parks.

How will Mexico's anti-tobacco law affect tourists who are smokers? I wonder but don't care since I quit.

every thing is just like before that law didnt go throu.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:57 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
About 15 years ago, they banned smoking in restaurants and bars, but these new laws are more inclusive, no smoking in hotels, public places, beaches.

When I lived in Las Vegas for 22 years, I happily made over 80 trips to Tijuana, until they restricted smoking in bars and restaurants. Then I stopped going. Being a smoker I couldn't imagine sitting in a bar and drinking a couple Tecate's and no smoking. The one bar I frequented so often, the bartender, hesitantly, told me I could smoke. And, there I am, having a smoke, a police officer walks by, sees me and smoking, and? Bribe money!

And now with these new restrictions, Mexico is off my travel list.

It could be worse, in New Zealand, all tobacco sales will end by, I believe, 2028.

I'm just glad I did all my foreign travels before I reached 65, I've been to just about every big city in Mexico, so been there, done that!

Old 07-25-2023, 07:11 PM

12,039 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I spent six weeks there this spring and saw less smoking but hotels were making accommodations for their guests and most people were being discreet with their public smoking. It's definitely an improvement in courtesy but by no means as stringent as it sounds.

Cigarettes and cigars are available but not displayed. Ash trays are still on some tables.

There were still some people smoking outright on the beach and the beach bars.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:38 PM

5,010 posts, read 591,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
........And now with these new restrictions, Mexico is off my travel list.
Yeah, I started feeling panicky when I heard about the new law, then I remembered I'm a non-smoker now.

I go to PV every few years, it's sure going to be different next time I go. I had good times hanging with the locals who all smoked.

Old 07-26-2023, 12:35 PM

3,451 posts, read 2,779,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post

So you can’t smoke tobacco publicly but you can smoke marijuana publicly?

Old 07-26-2023, 02:44 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
I thought I read that marijuana is partially legalized in Mexico now, you're allowed a certain measurement in your possession, but no dispensaries like they have here in the U.S. Not sure if tourists can find it when visiting Mexico.

I'd quit smoking after 55 years but I'm fearful of my taste buds coming back. My Dad quit after smoking for 50 years, gained 50 lbs. and next stop was bypass surgery. My sister quit, says she'd rather be fat than smoking. And yes, I know, some people who quit never gain weight. Not ready to take the risk.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:10 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I thought I read that marijuana is partially legalized in Mexico now, you're allowed a certain measurement in your possession, but no dispensaries like they have here in the U.S. Not sure if tourists can find it when visiting Mexico.

I'd quit smoking after 55 years but I'm fearful of my taste buds coming back. My Dad quit after smoking for 50 years, gained 50 lbs. and next stop was bypass surgery. My sister quit, says she'd rather be fat than smoking. And yes, I know, some people who quit never gain weight. Not ready to take the risk.
Its fully legal now along with the possession of a lot of other drugs in limited amounts. While the status is the same, I think the Mexican culture still looks down on it a lot more than the US and any open dispensaries are going to be opposed by area residents and politicians. So getting it means ordering it from someone selling it on online platforms but those sellers have to be worried about not having too much in their possession or getting the attention of the real drug dealers who don't want the competition. Fun stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico