Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 01:40 PM

168 posts, read 394,539 times

Advertisements

Asking for more details from those of you who know and love Mexico....

Where is THE safest place to stay for women, men not from Mexico? (and reasonably affordable)

Where is THE safest place - closest to the border ?

Would Cancun be at the top of the list - if not - in the resort area?

Just looking for peaceful, safe - clean and affordable - do not speak Spanish although realize I need to get with it and learn.

What are your thoughts about COVID19 as of today, medical treatment etc. ?

THANK YOU!

And if you like Tijuana please don't reply - I was there years ago and can't imagine it much better today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 07:43 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Taco Bell near Mercado Paisano on CanAm Highway in El Paso, Texas.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:42 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaherbgirl View Post
Where is THE safest place to stay for women, men not from Mexico? (and reasonably affordable)
If you are in your 20's, single and want to meet a lot of European young adults than I would recommend Puerto Escondido on the Pacific Coast. It's not easy to get to so I would say if you are staying two weeks or less it is not a particularly good option. Flights to PXM are out of Guadalajara or Mexico City, or it is a very long bus ride from Mexico City. The ocean is very rough and not good for swimming, but there are pools and a little cove.

For a woman traveling alone, places on the border are either cheap or safe, but rarely both.

It would help if I knew if you were young, middle aged, a beach person, traveling with a significant other, interested in culture or cheap food, interested in ancient ruins, etc.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:18 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
I'm here in Playa Del Carmen, though a very touristy area, you can find areas that are less so and still quite vibrant. This a well loved city to visit or stay long-term. I would settle here in a minute if not for the very hot weather year round, but, I am still debating it, I've made a lot of friends in the area. What I'm looking for is a place with more moderate temps that's not 3+ hours away from the beach.

I've done a lot of searches, just haven't found exactly the perfect location weather wise. There are several places on my list when it comes to climate, including Queretaro. I may just decide to split my time between there and the Quintana areas. I know I will always try to get back to Playa Del Carmen for a least a month or two.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:32 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
What I'm looking for is a place with more moderate temps that's not 3+ hours away from the beach.

Mazatlan has a great climate, cooler, less humidity and rain than areas to the south; and is growing economically.
However, the state of Sinaloa isn't one I'd recommend to our OP.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:09 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Mazatlan has a great climate, cooler, less humidity and rain than areas to the south; and is growing economically.
However, the state of Sinaloa isn't one I'd recommend to our OP.
Thank you. I pretty much researched quite a few locations and ruled out most areas with high crime rates. I figured, I'm just going to have to spend some time in areas closer to the mountains and spend a couple of months in beach areas to get my fix. But we'll see when the time actually comes. I didn't used to mind the heat, but, as I've gotten a few years older I just can't tollerate being out in really hot heat for more than a couple of hours and that's only if going to the beach. I lived in Florida many years was rarely bothered by the heat till the most recent time I spent there back in Oct. Even so, Florida heat ain't go nothing on Quintana Roo year round. Everytime I go to the market here in Playa, I come home drenched.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Default Bucerias

Coastal town north of Puerto Vallarta. Both an expat colony and a Mexican commuter town.

13,000 population. Expats along the beach. Mexican inland. Substantially less expensive than PV.

Better beaches than PV. Wide and clean.

Easy access to Puerto Vallarta. We often took the bus. A neat experience in itself.

A very nice hybrid of tourist Mexico and real Mexico.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:12 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaherbgirl View Post
Asking for more details from those of you who know and love Mexico....

Just looking for peaceful, safe - clean and affordable - do not speak Spanish although realize I need to get with it and learn.

THANK YOU!

And if you like Tijuana please don't reply - I was there years ago and can't imagine it much better today.

This part can change every few months. The state of Guanajuato was very safe and was attracting growing visitation and expats for a decade and then it became an open battlefield between some new cartels. Chihuahua and Coahuila alternate between safe periods and hell on earth periods, just depends on if a cartel is firmly in control of an area or not.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
Quote:
This is difficult, generally the state of Yucatan is distinguished by being safe:
Merida, Puerto Progreso, Valladolid.

Other options could be in Quintana Roo: Holbox, Tulum and Bacalar.

In the pacific coast, La Paz in Baja California and Puerto Vallarta in Jalisco looks like a good places.

Quote:
Ensenada.

Quote:
The resort area is safe but way expensive.

Quote:
Look the places I told you also Puebla, Guanajuato, Zacatecas for inland cities.

Quote:
Don´t make any plans until this Covid19 crisis ends.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:19 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I lived in Florida many years was rarely bothered by the heat till the most recent time I spent there back in Oct. Even so, Florida heat ain't go nothing on Quintana Roo year round. Everytime I go to the market here in Playa, I come home drenched.
They say over time your blood thins, adapting you to hotter climates.
Such was not my case after a decade in Florida, so I left.
Most colonial towns in central Mexico are safe for foreigners; not as safe for Mexican citizens with money though.
I'm really in love with Mazatlan, as I just can't handle the Gulf anymore; sand's too hot in summer and so is the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFub2XFNsPM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico