Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times

Advertisements

I used to follow the news back home in Billerica and it was often maddening.

A developer would come who would want to build medium density apartments and condos, but they'd get shot down because they were "too close to the road" or "there were too many units" or "they'd ruin the character of the town" or "It's destroying the nature in our town" etc.

But then another developer comes in, buy up acres of land to put up 15 McMansions and the locals would respond with "Well, it's their land. They can do what they want" blah blah blah.

People seem to forget that if you build higher density housing, you're actually preserving land.

Ugh.

As I've probably stated before, I'd love to move back to the Boston area one day. I still LOVE Boston.

But my wife and I could never afford a small house within 30 miles of the city. Lowell or Haverhill are possible, but I'm sure those houses are going quickly as well.

Central, Western and the South Coast have some affordable housing. I guess we could make it work if you wanted to live in a Springfield suburb and commute to either Hartford or Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
That sounds awful. Sign me up for no thanks. I moved to a town with no public transportation for a reason. I want low density.
And that's fine.

But the cities are where the jobs are, so you have to find a way to get as many people in a small space so everyone can get to their jobs.

if you want to live in a small town in Western or Northern New England, be my guest. Just don't expect the type of employment you'd get in or near the big cities.

Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
That sounds awful. Sign me up for no thanks. I moved to a town with no public transportation for a reason. I want low density.
thats the way my area use to be. Guess what, its not like that anymore. apartment buildings planned, destruction of open space, more traffic, more kids in schools, water and sewer wont be able to handle the bldgs, etc but they, the town and the state dont care. its all about money. follow the money. Ive had 3 friends that have moved out of Ma this year. They were tired of the taxes both state and local, tired of everything that comes with overdevelopment. Another friend will be leaving in a few months. these are all upper middle class.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

16,302 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Exactly, everything is all about profit, not just in MA but in the US. It isn't just MA that is having housing issues...ours are just more pricier than most other states. It's sad that a home has basically become a luxury investment in many cases.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
And that's fine.

But the cities are where the jobs are, so you have to find a way to get as many people in a small space so everyone can get to their jobs.

if you want to live in a small town in Western or Northern New England, be my guest. Just don't expect the type of employment you'd get in or near the big cities.
This is when being self employed and/or having multiple income streams becomes especially critical. Even if you don't live in a small town per se...having multiple income streams is still beneficial. If you are WFH...get another side WFH gig so you are essentially working two jobs in the same amount of time. It's a way you could potentially increase your income by 30-50% or more! The key to this is of course having the flexibility and autonomy of WFH gig and not being micromanaged in one role so you can take on the side gig

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

16,302 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I don't think anyone would say there's much space left in the greater boston area....other than the SSP parking lot I geuss. Should apartment buildings be built upon the blue hills? Everywhere I look it seems like something is getting turned into condos.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't think anyone would say there's much space left in the greater boston area....other than the SSP parking lot I geuss. Should apartment buildings be built upon the blue hills? Everywhere I look it seems like something is getting turned into condos.
Yuck..pack 'em in like sardines.

Old Today, 02:18 AM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
People often downsize into townhouses or one level condo. With the way condo fees are going up it make sense to stay in houses.
As people age, it gets harder to take care of a house and a yard. Plus, sometimes older people can't handle going up and down stairs.

For example, I have a cousin (who doesn't live in MA) who, along with her husband, lived in a house in the 'burbs that was well located. They were near public transportation plus stores and restaurants. Then they got it in their head that they wanted to live on a farmette. They sold the house and bought a farmette that had 10 acres of land and a McMansion on it. Once they moved in, they got a couple of horses. Both of them now had long commutes to work plus no more public transportation. They were in their late 50s when they did this.

Recently, after living there for 6 years, with both of them in their 60s, they sold the farmette and sent the horses to a good home. Now they are living in a 2 bedroom condo where they can walk to restaurants and shopping plus have public transportation in the area.

So...many realize that as they get older, it becomes much harder to do the upkeep on a home. So, yes, many seniors either buy condos or rent apartments with some of those renters living in 55+ developments.

Old Today, 05:35 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
One important factor I haven't seen discussed is hydrology. If towns and cities are going to be gunning hard for large scale development, solutions have to be made for large scale water resources and wastewater treatment. Rivers like the Ipswich River are already heavily compromised and nearly tapped out with several municipalities extracting water from it. Questions need to be answered like how much added water capacity can the MWRA and reservoirs like the Quabin supply. Then there are several semi rural towns like Boxford, West Newbury, Plympton, and Carver that are pretty much all well and septic that would need to be converted with new water and sewer lines.

I'm in the middle ground camp as there are indeed large vacant or underutilized land plots in well developed suburbs as Irfox pointed out that have more transportation sources and infrastructure that can accommodate more growth.

Also consider the Gateway Cities and their potential for more infill and redevelopment. If only the MBTA could get its act together, and really if American public transportation in general could get a serious upgrade going further into the 21st century and be more innovative with proposals such as high speed commuter rail and express trains from places like New Bedford, Fall River, Lowell, & Fitchburg getting commuters into Boston in well less than an hour without multiple stops en route. That would make development prospects in those cities a whole lot more appealing. But the status quo would immediately label such prospects as pipe dreams. And then here we are.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; Today at 06:11 AM..

Old Today, 05:41 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
Housing that state wants to built is affordable housing and we know who will live there.
Yall Bostonians weird. You rather have empty parking lots or dilapidated strip malls that bring in more crime, lets be real, then having a nice apartment complex or condo building with 3 or 4 storefronts. Tf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts