Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 05:44 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I fully grasp its place in the system and the ripple effects to the community, but it's a private for-profit company that has been flouting state finance reporting regulations, and they have not submitted any plan. The state certainly has a role in facilitating contingencies and perhaps helping to broker discussions among the healthcare community's leadership perhaps leading to sale and/or merger. But the problems faced by this private for-profit company are its own and the state should not be in a position of bailing it out in any fashion.
Again, this is not Stewart's first time at the rodeo.

https://prospect.org/health/2024-01-...teward-health/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 07:05 AM

9,907 posts, read 7,254,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I fully grasp its place in the system and the ripple effects to the community, but it's a private for-profit company that has been flouting state finance reporting regulations, and they have not submitted any plan. The state certainly has a role in facilitating contingencies and perhaps helping to broker discussions among the healthcare community's leadership perhaps leading to sale and/or merger. But the problems faced by this private for-profit company are its own and the state should not be in a position of bailing it out in any fashion.
I don't believe that the state should bail out Steward and let them to continue to operate the hospitals. I see a path where the state help fund the hospitals while they go through a reorganization. Steward and Medical Properties Trust would have give up it's claims and allow another healthcare organization take over.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:57 AM

3,237 posts, read 2,140,722 times
They are currently $3 million (ish) in default to my employer. We were a contractor for them up until 3 months ago until they pulled all there work from us abruptly. They were a terrible company to work with and had Primary's leaving their network by the dozens on a weekly basis. Good times!

Old 01-29-2024, 10:04 AM

377 posts, read 149,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
They are currently $3 million (ish) in default to my employer. We were a contractor for them up until 3 months ago until they pulled all there work from us abruptly. They were a terrible company to work with and had Primary's leaving their network by the dozens on a weekly basis. Good times!
Yeah, my primary was with them for many years and about a year ago (maybe less) he up and left for MGB. Seems like a few others from that office did the same.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:07 AM

3,773 posts, read 4,118,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I don't believe that the state should bail out Steward and let them to continue to operate the hospitals. I see a path where the state help fund the hospitals while they go through a reorganization. Steward and Medical Properties Trust would have give up it's claims and allow another healthcare organization take over.
Medical Properties Trust should not have to give up anything. They purchased the property fair and square in a transaction that was very favorable to Steward by providing Steward the cash to continue operations and expand. It is the deregulation and reregulation of the health care industry by government officials and Steward's mismanagement and greediness that created this mess. Unfortunately, if Steward does go under, Medical Properties Trust could also be thrown into bankruptcy.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:39 AM

12,575 posts, read 9,675,150 times
Quote:
That they are nor meeting their legal requirements for reporting for their business, and are fighting in court to prevent disclosures of the required information indicates that they are not working with the state in good faith, and I'd say that it also suggests that at a minimum, their position is far worse than they have disclosed, and they may also be hiding some kind of irregularities in how they've run this business.

That doesn't sound like a place that deserves a bailout. Not unless you investigate and flush the rats out and disinfect it first.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:22 AM

3,686 posts, read 1,897,892 times
PE usually ruins companies. I've worked for a couple of firms that were acquired by PE. The only folks who really benefit are the highest levels of management of the company being acquired (Pres, COO, etc.) plus those in the PE firm. They 'extract value' from everything. Then they all go and buy their multiple million dollar+ properties and luxury cars as they get their payouts (beach houses, rental properties, G Wagons..you name it.) I've seen it first hand. They leave their long term employees out to dry as the acquiring firm typically gets rid of all the original employees and brings in their own or new. The smart ones usually leave before that starts to happen. I know that's what I did, about 4-5 months after getting acquired I knew what would be happening so I jumped ship.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:25 AM

377 posts, read 149,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again, this is not Stewart's first time at the rodeo.

https://prospect.org/health/2024-01-...teward-health/
This Prospect.org story is wild. The corruption goes so far, it seems. And it's not JUST the private equity, either.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
There was a story in the Globe on Thursday that a medical device company had repossessed their products from St. E's. One patient died in an emergency situation due to the lack of the device.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Medical Properties Trust should not have to give up anything. They purchased the property fair and square in a transaction that was very favorable to Steward by providing Steward the cash to continue operations and expand. It is the deregulation and reregulation of the health care industry by government officials and Steward's mismanagement and greediness that created this mess. Unfortunately, if Steward does go under, Medical Properties Trust could also be thrown into bankruptcy.
MPT isn't going to go into bankruptcy. They own close to 450 facilities across the globe and recently sold an undeclared interest in Steward properties to an asset manager for $105 million citing the favorable conditions for letting other investors in.

Also note that of the $1.25 billion Steward received, $1 billion went to Cerebus when they divested Steward.

IMHO, MPT should consider the optics of the situation. They could forgive part of the monies owed and consider selling the properties to whoever takes over the facilities should that happen. Holding on to empty medical facilities doesn't generate any income to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts