Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 07:44 AM

20,991 posts, read 28,550,167 times

Advertisements

As some of you may or may not know I am a licensed insurance agent. Yesterday 5 minutes before 5 pm my assistant tells me one of my insured's is on the phone. I say ask if I can call her back in the morning. She says it's urgent. I take the call thinking maybe she was involved in a motor vehicle accident or something happened to her house. I come to find out neither is the case. So I ask what's going on. She asks me if I or my boss knows of a way to prove the value of her house is going down. I was like what? I asked her to explain. She is in the town of East Hills BTW. She said 2 years ago the town allowed someone to build this great big house next to hers, she claims the retaining wall is more than 4 feet tall and their main living space is on the 2nd floor so they can see right into her yard and kitchen. She's been fighting with the town for 2 years on this. For what? What does she think the town will do. Anyway from reading some similar threads on CD I realize she will not win. I asked her if the neighbors bother her, have late night parties, loud music etc... She said the house bothers me. I basically told her to give up the fight and that she's not going to win. If the builder got the proper permits and variances then there is no issue with the way the home was built. Why she thought I would know how to prove her home value is going down is beyond me. Personally IMO I think she's over reacting. She is a very nice customer but the situation which does not really involve her home insurance was not an urgent call and could have waited till the next day to discuss. Now granted I am not in her situation so I really don't know how bad it is. I told her I was sorry she was going through this but if the town is ignoring her and not willing to do anything (not sure what she expects them to do) I told her to give up and deal with it. Nothing she can really do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 08:08 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,550,372 times
East Hills code is 32ft max height for buildings and 4ft for fences.

Uniikely a two-story home exceeds the 32ft. There would also be the question of the retaining wall (if it does exceed 4ft) qualifying as a fence. If it is and does, I would guess the most they could hope for is the town requiring the homeowner to make the fence comply with the height restriction.

There are other code items to consider, such as setbacks. Another unlikely avenue, but worth exploring if the "problem" consumes you to that level.

If a variance was needed and obtained to get around any code issues, the time to complain was two years ago. The variance process requires posting public notice, and your client had the opportunity to voice their concerns to the town at that time.

If the town has been ignoring your client for all this time, there is either no problem or the town doesn't care. If the former, there's nothing to be done. If the latter, get involved and help elect people who do care.

If they can't learn to live with it, the best option is to move. She could also build her own big house on the existing property in a way that will mitigate the neighbor's view lines to her kitchen and yard.

They could also plant some trees that will grow large to create a privacy screen.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:31 AM

2,691 posts, read 2,348,469 times
Tell her to call Juan or Jose and have them plant wall of Leylands or giant arborvites and hang up.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:19 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,507,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
As some of you may or may not know I am a licensed insurance agent..

Old 05-14-2024, 10:12 AM

22,719 posts, read 36,928,387 times
as a former adjuster and now in compliance it never ceases to amaze what people think their insurance should help with.

the change in people over the last 30 years to where they cannot handle one thing on their own has been truly amazing to witness.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:14 AM

1,517 posts, read 787,334 times
Tell her to build a better house or move and that no one really cares. She’s in east hills sell at a nice price and move out east where she has more land and space between her neighbors and she’ll probably get a better house.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:15 AM

20,279 posts, read 21,037,949 times
Hey! I thought you were a sandwich artist at Subway!

Old 05-14-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Hey! I thought you were a sandwich artist at Subway!
Not anymore I quit that place in 2017. So glad I did.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Tell her to call Juan or Jose and have them plant wall of Leylands or giant arborvites and hang up.
I wish I could do that but she is a very good client. I basically said in not so many words you are SOL. Deal with it.

Old 05-14-2024, 02:15 PM

Update customer called again thinks that her Replacement cost value on the home should be lowered due to her home value going down. I told my boss to handle the call. She's not letting up on this. Example: if her home is being insured for 650,000 she feels it is too high because the contractor she hired told her the value of her home has gone down. I asked her if she believed him and she said she hired a professional with experience not some guy off the street.so in essence she firmly believes what this contactor told her. The home needs to be insured to value but I have never come across this situation where a client thinks the dwelling amount should be lowered due to the fact that a bigger home was built next door and has made the value of her home go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: