Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 04:11 AM

14 posts, read 4,711 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My girlfriend and I will have 1 more semester before graduation, in other words we are hopefully going to be computer engineers 6 months later. We both are from Turkiye and my girlfriend's goal is to study PhD in the States. She also wishes me to come by her. We planned to apply for some colleges in US but there is a question in my mind: I was convicted of verbal abuse for 3 months and 22 days. I have not been convicted but had to pay a fine for the offence. Will this kind of criminal record bar me from studying in the States?

Old 01-08-2024, 09:52 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reboun View Post
Hi,

My girlfriend and I will have 1 more semester before graduation, in other words we are hopefully going to be computer engineers 6 months later. We both are from Turkiye and my girlfriend's goal is to study PhD in the States. She also wishes me to come by her. We planned to apply for some colleges in US but there is a question in my mind: I was convicted of verbal abuse for 3 months and 22 days. I have not been convicted but had to pay a fine for the offence. Will this kind of criminal record bar me from studying in the States?
Please clarify the bolded. tTank you.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:33 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Criminal convictions often are reasons for not being allowed to enter. But you are contradicting yourself so it is unclear what your situation is.

Old 01-09-2024, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Please clarify the bolded. tTank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Criminal convictions often are reasons for not being allowed to enter. But you are contradicting yourself so it is unclear what your situation is.
I am sorry. I was not convicted. I was sentenced for a punitive fine of 3 months and 22 days.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:20 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Hi,

It's generally crimes of a moral crimes involving moral turpitude, although I think any prison sentence over 4 years is an automatic ban.

I don't think mere verbal abuse will prevent you from entering the US, although whether this effects a college application is another matter.

It's also worth noting that despite all the big talk on the visa waiver forms, the US does not have instant access to other countries criminal record systems and to carry out such a check is expensive and slow, so it's doubtful that the authorities would even check.

In terms of minor offences they are generally removed from records after 6 years in some countries, although records are not expunged in relation to more serious checks in relation to an application to work in a sector connected to children or other vulnerable groups, however again this usually related to more serious offences.

I wouldn't worry too much in relation to a minor non-violent and non-sexual crime that did not involve serious harm to anyone or serious damage to property, and which was not drug related and which you only received a fine in respect of rather than a custodial sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlock

Crimes involving moral turpitude are grouped into three general categories. They are:

Crimes committed against property (for example, arson, blackmail, burglary, larceny, robbery, fraud, false pretences, theft, receiving stolen property);

Crimes against governmental authority (for example bribery, tax evasion, perjury, fraud against government functions); and

Crimes committed against persons, family, relationships and sexual morality (for example, serious assaults, gross indecency, lewdness, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, murder, voluntary manslaughter, rape).

Travelling to the US – Do I need a visa? - Unlock

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-09-2024 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I am sorry. I was not convicted. I was sentenced for a punitive fine of 3 months and 22 days.
This is considerd a conviction.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

It's generally crimes of a moral crimes involving moral turpitude, although I think any prison sentence over 4 years is an automatic ban.

I don't think mere verbal abuse will prevent you from entering the US, although whether this effects a college application is another matter.

It's also worth noting that despite all the big talk on the visa waiver forms, the US does not have instant access to other countries criminal record systems and to carry out such a check is expensive and slow, so it's doubtful that the authorities would even check.

In terms of minor offences they are generally removed from records after 6 years in some countries, although records are not expunged in relation to more serious checks in relation to an application to work in a sector connected to children or other vulnerable groups, however again this usually related to more serious offences.

I wouldn't worry too much in relation to a minor non-violent and non-sexual crime that did not involve serious harm to anyone or serious damage to property, and which was not drug related and which you only received a fine in respect of rather than a custodial sentence.
Please read the actual verbiage of the questions regarding criminal history.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:45 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Please read the actual verbiage of the questions regarding criminal history.
I have read it, and it's not a conviction merely a fine, is not an offence related to moral turpitude and is not an offence relating to a prison sentence over 4 years, so there should not be a problem in terms of entering the US, as for colleges own policies that's a matter for them, but I doubt a minor offence resulting in a fine would bar someone from studying.

Whilst I would suggest you tell the truth on applications, however in relation to minor offences resulting in a fine etc there is unlikely to be any checks, as it's time consuming and expensive, and countries generally do not have instant access to each others data, indeed quite the opposite, and a lot of personal data is actually protected via different laws in different countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlock

Access to the UK Police National Computer (PNC)

The United States does not have access to the Police National Computer (see the FOI response below). The security services do share information about high-profile crimes, serious offences or if someone is a security risk, but this is not done as a matter of routine.

However, the United States authorities are able to seek details of any criminal convictions held on the Police National Computer on an individual request basis through Interpol channels. This rarely happens.

Travelling to the US – Do I need a visa? - Unlock

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-09-2024 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I have read it, and it's not a conviction merely a fine, is not an offence related to moral turpitude and is not an offence relating to a prison sentence over 4 years, so there should not be a problem in terms of entering the US, as for colleges own policies that's a matter for them, but I doubt a minor offence resulting in a fine would bar someone from studying.

Whilst I would suggest you tell the truth on applications, however in relation to minor offences resulting in a fine etc there is unlikely to be any checks, as it's time consuming and expensive, and countries generally do not have instant access to each others data, indeed quite the opposite, and a lot of personal data is actually protected via different laws in different countries.
I have no dog in this hunt
Moral turpitude and prison sentences over 4 years are only some of the applicable offenses. What you refer to as minor offenses and in this case verbal abuse (OP does not comment on what the 3 months 22 days stands for so use a crystal ball) do apply. He may see the word conviction only with prison. A judge set his fine. Let's wait until he applies for OTP or H1B and then has to deal with fraudulent visa application instead of an explanation, court records and waiver request.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I have no dog in this hunt
Moral turpitude and prison sentences over 4 years are only some of the applicable offenses. What you refer to as minor offenses and in this case verbal abuse (OP does not comment on what the 3 months 22 days stands for so use a crystal ball) do apply. He may see the word conviction only with prison. A judge set his fine. Let's wait until he applies for OTP or H1B and then has to deal with fraudulent visa application instead of an explanation, court records and waiver request.
I wasn't imprisoned, I just paid a punitive fine equivalent of 3 months and 22 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.