Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 10:35 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Well, I really don't like the idea but this country is rapidly working toward an even larger gig society, some of which require contracts. For example, there are two companies who have seasonal work for nomads which pay very well and provide housing. One of them requires signing a contract to work for a certain period of time. Bob Wells did a video about it a while back.
I looked up Bob Wells on youtube, and found his videos. I'll take a look another day. If businesses are providing housing for contract workers, it's because they're saving so much money by not providing the usual benefits package, that providing housing comes out cheap by comparison. That's my guess. It would be the only way to attract quality contract workers, I imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 10:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
And who believes that businesses will rise to the occasion?
Well, if nobody can afford to live there besides retirees, they will have to close their businesses...

Old 08-23-2022, 10:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why should businesses be required to provide or in some way subsidize or fund housing? Many businesses just finished sloughing off the requirement to provide health care. They're not looking to take on another big expense.

There was a time when some enterprises, mining companies for example, did provide housing. They were called "company towns". The arrangement did not work out in favor of the workers. Silicon Valley companies, Microsoft, Amazon and the like wouldn't be too happy to be told they need to build housing for their workers. And what about the workers that would want to choose their own housing? How would that work? Would they be required to live in the company apartment building?

Complicated issue.
I'm not saying to force businesses to do anything. Silicon valley companies can do whatever they want as far as I care. If only retirees can afford to live in the cities they have their businesses in, they will be in for a rude awakening though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces