Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 07:29 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times

Advertisements

I'm in St. Paul

The Mrs. and I used to ride the train from Everett, WA, to visit her family in Chicago, so we would go right through Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 11:19 AM

78 posts, read 76,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I'm in St. Paul

The Mrs. and I used to ride the train from Everett, WA, to visit her family in Chicago, so we would go right through Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Hubby took that train from here to Chicago a few years ago. My daughter had a commitment so we couldn't join him and we flew instead. I'm from Chicago originally and love that town!! See, big city girl. From Chicago to L.A. (a year in Madrid during college) and now the twin cities.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:55 AM

How do you like living in L.A.?

Old 02-01-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
How do you like living in L.A.?
I don't live there any more. I was taken there when I was 9.....by my father with the wanderlust. The family took a trip west from Chicago, came back and sold the house and I remember missing Halloween that year because we were on the road. I was perfectly happy where I was but you know....what can one do at 9?

I did meet my other half there so it wasn't all bad. I moved to the east coast, went back to be with the husband to be and as soon as I got back to L.A. I was plotting how to leave again. Our rental house was burglarized twice and we left just after the L.A. riots(or really during it) in 1992. Yea, I'm glad I left. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I can't afford it anyway! ha!

Old 02-01-2021, 04:56 PM

Too crowded, too expensive!

Old 02-01-2021, 11:21 PM

11 posts, read 24,117 times
Default Is it OK to ask about the drought?

A lot of great information in this thread, but one thing isn't mentioned: southeast New Mexico's severe drought. How concerning is that to residents in both the short-term and long-term? I'm considering retiring to the Las Cruces/Alamogordo area but the persistent drought gives me pause.

I'm a native Kansan so I know something about droughts (and about living in dry, windy places, although southeast New Mexico has Kansas beat when it comes to the dry part), but the one in New Mexico is very concerning.

Please forgive my ignorance about the situation. All of the research I've done online has quoted climatologists who say things are just getting worse and worse, but I'd like to hear from folks who actually live in southeastern New Mexico about how things are playing out.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaswanderer View Post
A lot of great information in this thread, but one thing isn't mentioned: southeast New Mexico's severe drought. How concerning is that to residents in both the short-term and long-term? I'm considering retiring to the Las Cruces/Alamogordo area but the persistent drought gives me pause.

I'm a native Kansan so I know something about droughts (and about living in dry, windy places, although southeast New Mexico has Kansas beat when it comes to the dry part), but the one in New Mexico is very concerning.

Please forgive my ignorance about the situation. All of the research I've done online has quoted climatologists who say things are just getting worse and worse, but I'd like to hear from folks who actually live in southeastern New Mexico about how things are playing out.
It's definitely something to consider. When I first started looking at houses for sale online in LC the brown was everywhere. That and most yards do not have grass which is a bit startling at first for someone who has lived in the lush green of spring/summer for nearly 30 years (yikes! I gotta get out of here!! heh).

On the other hand.....every place one lives has something right? I remember water rations in southern California, also a desert, so I have had a taste of it waaaaaaaaaay back when.

I agree. I would like to hear from people who live there about this issue too. I'm not sure it will change my mind because my number one requirement is that I need the warmth and sunshine. Going from 3,000 days of clouds (yes, a slight exaggeration) to over 300 days of sunshine? ah............I think I could deal with the drought just to have the warmth and sunshine.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:52 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
yea, I'm not a big fan of moving either but I cannot stay in this cold weather. I hope I don't have to move again, that's why I'm doing all this research. we've been lucky here in that both of our houses were/are in very desirable neighborhoods. we sold our first house in three days and had many offers, because we chose the right realtor. we're hoping she's not retired when we want to sell again. my guess is this house will also sell quickly and yep, our plan is to be ready to go at that point.

thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

I suggest Phoenix, where there are already too many people. Plus it snows in Las Cruces, there is already a housing crunch so that people who live here and have to make a living on low New Mexico wages often can't afford to buy because so many people from high income areas are driving up prices because they seem quite reasonable to people from elsewhere.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I suggest Phoenix, where there are already too many people. Plus it snows in Las Cruces, there is already a housing crunch so that people who live here and have to make a living on low New Mexico wages often can't afford to buy because so many people from high income areas are driving up prices because they seem quite reasonable to people from elsewhere.
um.....wow.

It does snow in LC. From what I've read, yes, it can snow there but it doesn't stay on the ground there very long, unlike, oh, I don't know, Minnesota. I took a look at the forecasts for the next week:

LC: SUNNY and mid 60s just about every day.
Twin cities: oh wow, we'll get some sun(so unusual for winter)........but highs around zero and the high on Sunday is projected to be 6 below zero.

How do you know that I want to live where there are already too many people? Phoenix doesn't interest me at all. And even more so since you say there are too many people. I left Los Angeles for that and other reasons.

I am sorry that wages don't keep up with housing costs in LC, I really am. You should probably talk to your legislators about that and maybe don't comment on a thread where the person is asking about a different city?

Old 02-02-2021, 11:40 AM

Tucson is another choice. Tucson is more eclectic but has some nice areas, too. I am really used to Tucson because I used to live in Willcox, 80 miles eastward of Tucson. Willcox is a little hick cowboy town but my hospital job was there. I worked one week on, then one week off. So guess where we'd go on my week off?

Tucson. Tucson has Eegee's sandwiches and great icees. And it has Club Congress for rock shows and The Rialto Theater for the arts of all kinds. Tucson also has an Animal Kingdom store, which I loved ta go to to see the puppies for sale. They are horribly overpriced puppies, but they were the most adorable puppies anywhere. Housing prices will be more reasonable in Tucson as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces