Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times

Advertisements

Catrina: Have you heard about this play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM

10 posts, read 38,902 times
Default tellico village and this play

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Catrina: Have you heard about this play?
I am a native of Knoxville and have lived in Tellico Village for 10 years. What was said about the TVA is completely true. The dam caused a lot of controversy when it was being built. I was a young 20-something, and I was enraged. It was horrible, seeing old people literally CARRIED off of their land that had been in their families for generations. We almost got the dam stopped when we discovered an endangered species, the snail-darter, in the Tellico River (affectionally called the Little T around here-the big T is the Tennessee River). However, TVA had more lawyers and money and managed to successfully relocate the snail darter. We were sunk. Eventually, my rage mellowed, and when I remarried 10 years ago and my new husand who was from W. Virginia and knew nothing of the controversy wanted to move here, I said ok. The quality of life here is strong. My only complaint is that many of the yankees who live here worked in factories up north and assume that the higher wage they got up north was because they were intellictually superior to others (us). What they do not understand is that the people of East Tennessee are very creative and innovative. We had to be or we would have starved. There were not any 20.00 hour factory jobs around here. However, MOST of the yankees are really ok.

Now, as for that play group. Total and compete nonsense. The founder of the group is Doris Ryan, another native Knoxvillian. It is counter-intuitive to say that she would make fun of herself or others in this area. She is down to earth. I am in this group. I am involved in most or all of the plays on some level. This accusation is totally and completely without merit. We just finished Man of La Mancha. Before that was Steel Magnolias. I had a role and all of us in it were from Knoxville. Before that, we did Mame, On Golden Pond, The Moving of Lilla Barton, Old Girls, the list goes on. We do classics. We buy the plays legitimatly and pay all dues. It is a great group, and what I really don't get about this accusation is that most of us running it are natives. My guess is that the person who wrote that may have misunderstood something or may have felt slighted in some way. It is hard to make everyone happy all of the time.

A couple of years ago, we had an expert who moved here. She claimed to be an expert in just about anything that was mentioned. Singing, dancing, politics, surgery, psychology, etc. You get the picture. This person joined our group, and in a very short time had worn out the patience of almost everyone. Maybe she is the author of this accusation.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
TVer, Thanks for setting the record straight on that. I was sure that the poster of that story about the play was wrong. I visited TV this August. My hubby and I are planning to buy there in approx 2 years when we retire from our jobs her in CA. We loved the area and everyone we met was nice. Looking forward to the day when we can be neighbors.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whgiii View Post
What are the monthly homeowner association fees at Tellico Village and what is the history of special assessments over and above these fees? What services do the fees cover?
Current fees are $79.50 per month. I have only been a homeowner there for 4 years but haven't had any special assetments in that time. The fees are basically to cover common property and infrastructure maintenance. User fees are assessed for the various amenities within the community. You can get more info at Tellico Village | Tellico Village Loudon County TN | Knoxville Planned Residential Community | Tellico Village Golf Course | Tellico Lake Community | Tennessee Yacht Club | Tellico Village Lenior City TN | Tellico Lake Boating .

I do not currently reside in the village - will be retiring there in a year or two but I do visit as often as I can.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM

17 posts, read 80,865 times
The fees just went up to $83.25 a month, which is a lot less than most areas with the amount of amenities we have here. Are you moving to the area?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,558 times
It may not be right, but it certainly is not the fault of the people who paid for the property in those developments fair and square! TVA is to blame ... not the people from the north and west and south, who fell in love with the beauty of east TN and specifcally Tellico Lake .... I can say that because I am one of those northern transplants! I love the people of TN ... they were a major factor in our decision to move here ......

Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
jm1j,
I have to agree with you. I was reading some comments of locals written after a newspaper article about Rarity Pointe, and these folks were really mean and blaming people who have only recently moved to the area for what TVA did. That's not fair. People who are living there bought their property 20+ years after the dam went in and the lake filled. TVA sold the land to Cooper, and others, and then Cooper eventually built and sold homes to newcomers years later. Who knows how that crazy rumor about the play got started. I did hear a lot of frustration and (unfortunately) jealousy in the comments people wrote, criticizing the size and cost of the homes in TV. Believe me there are bigger, more costly, homes than anything I can buy in every state, but I'm not a hater and I don't begrudge those people that own them for their good fortune or hard work.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 AM

62 posts, read 312,081 times
Default Can't wait to Move

Hi Lynn

What neighborhood do you live in? We bought a site in Chota. We are right by the new wellness center. Did you build you own home? We are looking into modular home builders. I am such a nervous wreck about building. Any advice? Do you have kids? I have three girls. Wondering how many kids actually live in the neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 AM

62 posts, read 312,081 times
Hi All

We are hoping to move to TV in 2 years. I hear many comments about northerners or as it was put "Yankees". I can really care less about being called a "Yankee". But I am worried about my kids. If my kids are from up north and live in TV will they have any problems. I know that seems like a silly question but don't want my kids hurt or ridiculed. Hoping you will reassure me that this wont happen.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,560 times
Default Tellico Village

I think Tellico Village is nice. We looked at several lots there and in the surrounding area. We settled for Rockwood. I love it there. We are right on the water and couldn't asked for any better views. Sorry about the no response. I am new to this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville