Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM

739 posts, read 492,988 times

Advertisements

Hi, can I get some things-around-town ideas for Knoxville? We're flying into McGhee in June, and have a full day/night in Knoxville. What are some areas and sights to explore, and what area to book a hotel room at?

No kids with, just us married gen-x'ers. We like architecture, museums, locale history, tours, sightseeing in general, stuff along those lines. We'll rent a car, so could travel around town. Restaurant recommendations are welcome as well. Budget wise, we're not on a tight one, but also not looking for opulent luxury or anything.

We'll also be going on to Gatlinburg, with a full day/night there as well. I already briefly researched a few of the attractions there, but could use input on what's actually worth checking out.

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 03:28 PM

11,177 posts, read 9,803,279 times
In Gatlinburg, Anakeesta is a very cool place to go. We have season passes and we always take our visitors there. It's especially cool to go later in the day and stay at night for the light show called Astra Lumina. We have no kids, although it's very fun for kids. We just love the beautiful views from up there. On weekends there is often live music too.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 10,683,199 times
As I'm sure you know, Gatlinburg sits right next to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. If you have even the slightest interest in natural beauty, you owe it to yourself to pay a visit. You don't have to spend tons of time hiking or what-not. If you only have a few hours, drive the Cades Cove loop and call it a day.

Going the other direction, the Titanic museum in Pigeon Forge is well worth a visit. I'm not really all that familiar with Knoxville. Their downtown is pleasant. You could pop over to the nearby Sunsphere and relive the memory of the 1982 World's Fair. (My visit to the fair at age 16 was the first time I'd ever been more than a couple miles west of Interstate 95.)

Old 04-12-2024, 08:36 AM

Two nice things in the Knoxville area are the Market Square area downtown. It's full of unique stores, galleries, craft breweries, and restaurants. There are often musical or art events happening there.

Another is the Museum of Appalachia. This is technically not IN Knoxville, but not far away near the very cute small town of Clinton. Clinton itself is a fun time filled with antiques stores and a neat drug store diner, original not recreated. The Museum is a collection of real original log cabins and other structures from around the surrounding area, and a large collection of artifacts from the era. The buildings have been transported and reconstructed on site and there are often "re-enactors" there performing old-time crafts and doing typical Appalachian activities like sheep shearing, weaving, candle and soap making, etc.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:51 AM

Bus man, we are going to be in Pigeon Forge as well, so appreciate the heads up about the Titanic museum.

Very nice guys, thx much, and please keep it coming if you got more tips!

Old 04-12-2024, 12:53 PM

7,543 posts, read 17,269,172 times
I would stay in a downtown hotel if you can find one that you like. The rest of Knoxville is fine, but not that interesting or important (from your perspective as a one-day tourist).

In Gatlinburg, I like Ole Smoky moonshine distillery (fairly gimmicked up, but still pretty fun). Also check out the Village Shoppes and the Mountain Mall for a little slice of old school Gatlinburg. The aquarium is actually really nice, but might not align with your interests/time schedule. If you're looking to get out of Gatlinburg and see rural Smokies, I agree with the Cades Cove loop.

Pigeon Forge is an overbuilt eyesore that I always try to get through as quickly as possible. (You could even consider going in the back way from Knoxville, via Townsend/Wears Valley, and check out Tuckaleechee Caverns...)

Last edited by jabogitlu; 04-12-2024 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-13-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I would stay in a downtown hotel if you can find one that you like. The rest of Knoxville is fine, but not that interesting or important (from your perspective as a one-day tourist).

In Gatlinburg, I like Ole Smoky moonshine distillery (fairly gimmicked up, but still pretty fun). Also check out the Village Shoppes and the Mountain Mall for a little slice of old school Gatlinburg. The aquarium is actually really nice, but might not align with your interests/time schedule. If you're looking to get out of Gatlinburg and see rural Smokies, I agree with the Cades Cove loop.

Pigeon Forge is an overbuilt eyesore that I always try to get through as quickly as possible. (You could even consider going in the back way from Knoxville, via Townsend/Wears Valley, and check out Tuckaleechee Caverns...)
Cool, thanks! Honestly, from what I researched on Pigeon Forge (not withstanding the Titanic museum as suggested), we would have absolutely skip it altogether, it's not our scene at all. But we have a wedding to go to there.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 10,683,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Cool, thanks! Honestly, from what I researched on Pigeon Forge (not withstanding the Titanic museum as suggested), we would have absolutely skip it altogether, it's not our scene at all. But we have a wedding to go to there.
Pigeon Forge is not everybody's cup of tea. If you're a fan of pedestrian-scaled, walkable cities, you're not going to like it. But if you have any interest in the Titanic or even about history in general, I definitely do recommend a stop there.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:25 AM

Pigeon Forge is not laid out well, with the one major route through town and all the traffic that that causes, as well as the garish and crazy mixture of "family fun" type amenities. There are some gems in the mix, but mostly tacky stuff. It all depends on what you like.

We like a couple restaurants there. I like The Local Goat (locally sourced, lighter fare, and creative dishes), and Harpoon Harry's (seafood), also Azul (Mexican food), all in Pigeon Forge.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Pigeon Forge is not laid out well, with the one major route through town and all the traffic that that causes, as well as the garish and crazy mixture of "family fun" type amenities. There are some gems in the mix, but mostly tacky stuff. It all depends on what you like.

We like a couple restaurants there. I like The Local Goat (locally sourced, lighter fare, and creative dishes), and Harpoon Harry's (seafood), also Azul (Mexican food), all in Pigeon Forge.
Excellent, thank for the restaurant pointers there, It will be useful for after the wedding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville