Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:43 PM

93 posts, read 347,527 times

Advertisements

I'm considering visiting Iowa City and possibly moving there. When driving cross country, I passed through Iowa a few times though was never able to stop and check it out.

I am a woman, mid sixties. Iowa City comes up in my searching for a neuroscience center along with support and education for nonfiction writing. I am contacting the neuroscience institute and the writing programs for overview information.

What is Iowa City like? Is it liberal, conservative? What about apartment rates and safety? My diet is about 99% vegan and I'm very interested in health and nutrition issues. Are there vegan or vegetarian restaurants in IC?

What do people like, not like about living in this city? Are there good resources here for seniors? What about museums and libraries? Cost of living? Is anyone in this forum involved with the writing programs or the neuroscience institute?

About ten years ago I moved from a very rural high desert area of New Mexico, to Lexington, KY. I was led to believe I could get treatment for a some rare medical disorders here. This proved not to be the case. I became stranded when my savings ran out. This situation may be changing so I'm looking at places to relocate. For both writing and neuroscience, IC is showing with a big thumb's up. I hope to start some conversations here. Thanks for any response

Zoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 01:29 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Hi!

It's one of the more liberal cities in the state. It's a nice college town. There are a few bad pockets, but overall, it's fairly safe. I'm older myself, and I'd probably live in Coralville if I lived over there. I want to be far away from the students, LOL!

I usually go to the Pioneer Co-op when I'm in the area, but I know there's vegan restaurants.

https://www.newpi.coop/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...City_Iowa.html

Old 04-15-2018, 06:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Good to know there's a co-op.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 PM

I'm from Ohio. If you do make it out here, you'll find there is a lot more sunshine in the winter than in KY, which helps to off-set the cold. You will find there is more snow and less ice, so driving is a tad easier, although there are times when it's just best to stay home until the storm passes.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Hi!

It's one of the more liberal cities in the state. It's a nice college town. There are a few bad pockets, but overall, it's fairly safe. I'm older myself, and I'd probably live in Coralville if I lived over there. I want to be far away from the students, LOL!

I usually go to the Pioneer Co-op when I'm in the area, but I know there's vegan restaurants.

https://www.newpi.coop/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...City_Iowa.html
Are you from Iowa City? Are there pretty good resources for seniors here? My tentative plan is to visit sometime before next winter. I may need some assist in finding a temporary place to stay while visiting the city. What are the seasons like?

Old 04-16-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I'm from Ohio. If you do make it out here, you'll find there is a lot more sunshine in the winter than in KY, which helps to off-set the cold. You will find there is more snow and less ice, so driving is a tad easier, although there are times when it's just best to stay home until the storm passes.
That's good to know. The winter here has not been so severe as it's been just dreary. While Lexington is a more liberal area of the state, it is pretty conservative-I'm not so have never really fit in here.

Right now I have no transportation. I sold my dear old Chevy van a few years ago. it was just too expensive to keep up in the city. I hope by the time I can leave here I will have a vehicle. How is the bus service in Iowa City. Most likely I'll use public transportation if I move there. I walk a lot too. It's two miles round trip to my grocery store here. I shop a little more often for the walking and carry my stuff in my back pack without too much weight in any trip.

We had snow here today, cold and mostly flurries. We may go from a little spring weather right into summer here this year.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:57 PM

I live in Des Moines and shop/visit friends in IC, so I can't share much about living there.

It's a college town: there are buses and lots of rentals. I know students who've lived there without a car, but they've lived on or very close to campus. I would look more closely at nearby Coralville. There are senior activities -- it's away from all of the college students. That's where my friends live. It's still close to the hospitals and everything.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:31 PM

How far is Des Moines from Iowa City? And Coralville? What kind of senior activities? I will do a Google on Coralville. Lexington is a college town too. I would like to find more people in my age range wherever I end up going. Iowa is coming up with a lot of pluses in my searching.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:50 PM

Coralville/IC are right next to each other. Des Moines is about an hour west on I-80.

Link to one of the senior centers:

https://www.thinkiowacity.com/listin...or-center/148/

If you're going to use the University of Iowa hospital a lot, you will probably be better off living in the area: Coralville isn't too far. Des Moines can be a hike in the winter. In fact, I rarely drive over there between January - March.

Here's a link to Iowa City events:

https://www.thinkiowacity.com/events/

Old 04-17-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Coralville/IC are right next to each other. Des Moines is about an hour west on I-80.

Link to one of the senior centers:

https://www.thinkiowacity.com/listin...or-center/148/

If you're going to use the University of Iowa hospital a lot, you will probably be better off living in the area: Coralville isn't too far. Des Moines can be a hike in the winter. In fact, I rarely drive over there between January - March.

Here's a link to Iowa City events:

https://www.thinkiowacity.com/events/
Thanks,

When I lived in New Mexico, I was 40 miles from town, and over a hundred from my neurologist. Don't need them often, but good to have close on hand if necessary. I was getting a little squirrely, living so far from populated areas, but very much miss the solitude, quiet, and immense peacefulness felt in the high desert. Thanks for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City