Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing that they lengthened the runway. That seems to be a major issue these days. Charleston nearly lost their Air National Guard wing because of their runway, and only the intervention of Byrd saved it. The larger planes need more runway space, and I know they're lengthening the runway at Clarksburg too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
Default Huntington Tri-State Airport among the top 10 most competitively priced small airports

The great news continues for Huntington Tri-State Airport, being listed among the top 10 most competitively priced small airports in the nation. There has been some great growth there over the last few years and with more flights and projects expected, this looks to continue. Here's the article:

Tri-State Airport makes top list for competitive pricing - The Herald Dispatch

Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Default Huntington Tri-State Airport Experiences Largest Boardings per Month Ever

The Growth at Huntington Tri-State Airport continues with the airport having its best month ever in July. I was afraid that Yeager adding nearly identical flights to Florida and Myrtle Beach would hurt numbers but it did not. If they add the rumored direct flight to Las Vegas via Allegiant since they lengthened the runway and add another flight to the northeast, they will be pushing 200,000 passengers a year in a few years. Here's a segment of the article:

"HUNTINGTON — A record 14,270 passengers boarded flights from Huntington Tri-State Airport during July 2011, representing the highest number of monthly enplanements reported in the history of the airport.

July’s boardings were up 5.6 percent over the same month last year, and up 8 percent over June 2011.

The airport served a total of 28,440 arriving and departing passengers last month, according to a press release.

Low-fare carrier Allegiant Air also broke an all-time monthly record at Tri-State Airport, boarding 9,507 passengers in July, the release said. Allegiant provides non-stop, low-fare service from Huntington to Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, and St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Fla., and seasonal service to Myrtle Beach, S.C.

The airport’s other airlines climbed as well. Delta Air Lines posted a 47 percent increase in boardings over the same month last year."

Tri-State Airport has biggest month ever - The Herald Dispatch

Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM

That's good news for Huntington. If they keep that up, they will be a serious rival for Charleston's airport for being the regional departure point for southern West Virginia.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Default Tri State Airport plans for $33million Intermodal Terminal and parking garage.

This is an ambitious move for the airport which has seen unheard of growth over the past five years. It would build a new ticket and baggage claim area, and a new parking garage.

Business, Government , Legal News from Throughout W.Va. - Tri-State Airport Plans New $33 Million Structure

Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM

This will certainly be a much needed upgrade. Very smart decision to make it multi-purpose as well. Hopefully we can get that Huntington - Las Vegas flight they keep talking about added soon as well.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
This will certainly be a much needed upgrade. Very smart decision to make it multi-purpose as well. Hopefully we can get that Huntington - Las Vegas flight they keep talking about added soon as well.
I agree, this is not only much needed but also attractive to more airlines and flights. I've taken a few flights out of Huntington and when there is a flight to Florida that place is PACKED!!! In the waiting area, there is not enough seats for half of the people. The baggage claim is rather sad too, and needed to be bigger.

I do think that this will end any attempt to build an airport between Charleston and Huntington. Both Yeager and Tri State keep growing, and instead on combining, they keep expanding. We'll just have to grow seperate I guess.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I do think that this will end any attempt to build an airport between Charleston and Huntington. Both Yeager and Tri State keep growing, and instead on combining, they keep expanding. We'll just have to grow seperate I guess.
Maybe that's best for both cities? With a regional airport in Putnam County, i think that would draw too much business and traffic away from each city and make a third city/hub there in Teays Valley area.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Maybe that's best for both cities? With a regional airport in Putnam County, i think that would draw too much business and traffic away from each city and make a third city/hub there in Teays Valley area.
I agree, at this point I think that the separate airports are best for both Charleston and Huntington. They need to work together better though to establish different key destinations. Then, they could build on each others success. It will be interesting to see what Yeager replaces the Orlando flight that they just lost with.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 PM

NCWV Airport just picked up flights to Orlando. In reality, our airports here are sattelite airports from Pittsburgh so I think the model they use in the NYC area would work well (Stewart, Westchester, Hartford)... niche flights at cheap prices that draw customers even from Pittsburgh. It has worked at other large cities.

Huntington and Charleston essentially are the only airport ballgames in that entire region. It's a good idea to develop that potential to the max, and a bit of cooperation between them would probably benefit everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington