Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 03:24 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ironic since Dallas and Houston have similar crime rates.
When people talk about "Dallas" in terms of attracting transplants, they mostly mean the Collin County and Denton County suburbs, not the City of Dallas. Because there is this (highly suspect) perception that those suburbs are so much "better and safer" than ours. Yeah, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 03:42 PM

98 posts, read 99,116 times
In 1981, Houston was the murder capital of the US with 701 homicides. Things aren't quite as bad as they used to be.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:21 PM

727 posts, read 304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Probably not unusual depending on the part of town you're in - what area was this?
About 3 miles from West Bellfort Ave, Brays Oaks, Southeast Expwy.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:58 PM

332 posts, read 260,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
About 3 miles from West Bellfort Ave, Brays Oaks, Southeast Expwy.
Yeah, Fondren SW - not the greatest area. Might be worth looking at hotels in Sugar Land if you need to stay on the southwest side of the city.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:14 PM

727 posts, read 304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Yeah, Fondren SW - not the greatest area. Might be worth looking at hotels in Sugar Land if you need to stay on the southwest side of the city.
Yeah, if I only knew. It was the Holiday Inn Sugarland something or other. A cesspool.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:16 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times
Best way to describe Houston’s crime is a yo-yo: It’s down some years & up others. The pandemic has jacked up crime nationwide. Look at New York, the poster child for crime reduction; even NYC is experiencing rising crime. Dallas’ crime has jacked up since the pandemic, so it’s ironic to make it seem like Houston is worse than Dallas. I’m concerned about the rising crime in Houston, but then again I'm not because I don't put myself in dangerous positions and I'm from the hood, so those street smarts I picked up from Acres Homes are still embedded in me.

Last edited by AcresHomes44; 05-19-2021 at 04:53 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 07:12 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I don't really care how crime in Houston compares with other cities, I care about how much worse it is than the Houston of 5-10 years ago. And it is worse. Heck, I found out last week that a murderer was harboring a tiger right around the corner from my house!

If Houston doesn't get serious about crime, we're going to continue to trail Dallas and Austin in attracting transplants/relocations, and we're going to continue to lose taxpayers to the suburbs and enclave cities, which have a much more visible police presence and lower crime rates than Houston.
It's up big times in most major Cities like NY, Chicago, Baltimore, on and on.....

NY is getting back to the 1970's and Chicago has always been a war zone in certain parts of town.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:17 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The massage parlors are impossible to miss. I see them all over. They are most heavily concentrated on the Southwest side but no matter the area, theyre still there. Same with the prostitutes' on Bissonett though I dont think those girls are trafficked.

Ive got no beef with prostitution and if a person decides that they want to hustle that way, more power to them. Being forced into it is a huge problem though.
I believe they consider prostitution sex trafficking if that woman has a pimp. Majority of these women and sometimes underage girls definitely have a pimp. I know the rap group The Sauce Factory had some members that were charged with sex trafficking. They insisted that it wasn't sex trafficking but "PIMPING". But you know pop culture has romanticized the pimp culture.

I'll say nowadays an "independent" sex worker is more likely to do her business via the internet. If she's "independent" on the street more than likely she's borderline homeless and on drugs. And it's only a matter of time before those ladies on the street end up with a pimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn in a bad area of Houston while visiting family. I didn't do my research. The place reeked like pot, prostitutes in the lobby openly propositioning people, early Sunday morning I woke up at 4 am to someone trying to open my door, it wasn't the cleaning lady, it was a drunk individual who was very close to getting shot.
Do you know what area the Holiday Inn was in? There's hotels like that in every city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I don't really care how crime in Houston compares with other cities, I care about how much worse it is than the Houston of 5-10 years ago. And it is worse. Heck, I found out last week that a murderer was harboring a tiger right around the corner from my house!

If Houston doesn't get serious about crime, we're going to continue to trail Dallas and Austin in attracting transplants/relocations, and we're going to continue to lose taxpayers to the suburbs and enclave cities, which have a much more visible police presence and lower crime rates than Houston.
You do realize Dallas and Austin is experiencing a spike in crime as well. Just like every other major city in America. And that's not me dismissing crime in Houston. No more crime is always a problem. I definitely don't be out in certain areas once it gets dark like I use to. I'm almost more aware of my surroundings even in the daytime(I've always been that way to begin with). So an uptick in crime is an issue. But other cities are going through the same thing and people are fleeing to the burbs in other cities as well. Welcome to America.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:28 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's up big times in most major Cities like NY, Chicago, Baltimore, on and on.....

NY is getting back to the 1970's and Chicago has always been a war zone in certain parts of town.
NY isn't getting back to the 70s. In the 70's NYC regularly recorded over a 1,000 homicides. Nowhere near close to that. Relax

Old 05-19-2021, 08:29 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,520,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
It’s like open season out here smh. These judges have given criminals carte blanche. Where else can you commit a murder, get out on a low bond, and wait 4-5 years for a trial. You can violate the conditions of your bond and still get another extremely low bond lol. This is getting ridiculous.
Elections have consequences. When you vote in someone like Kim Ogg as D.A., and all the Harris County Democrat judges who swept the election in 2018. Now we get to live with those consequences.

https://ktrh.iheart.com/content/2021...harris-county/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston