Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:16 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times

Advertisements

They'll move into Brookshire in terms of schools.....what'll happen is the newer communities will want their own elementary and middle schools so they can call the shots before thinking about sending them to the high school or just go private...

or do what Magnolia did....they build a newer school in the city for the older residents and turn the older school over to the Woodlands folks that are zoned there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz06 View Post
How far west do you see the city/suburbs expanding? Brookshire or Sealy perhaps, or no?
Brookshire - probably. Sealy - no freakin' way. Unless people plan on living in their cars full-time, that's just way too far. I think Brookshire is the last stop on the Westward express. If anything, I think the new development will soon trend towards the South, along 288 into Brazoria county.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:09 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Brookshire is already be affected by the growth.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Time View Post
When Katy and Cypress get actual business districts that provide 6 figure jobs like Sugar Land, Clear Lake and The Woodlands, it will expand. Otherwise it will just fill in.
And that would be a good thing. Infill is exactly what Greater Houston desperately needs... NOT more sprawl. Especially the North side suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Clear Lake has a business district?
I don't know about today, but Clear Lake grew up around NASA. At one time it was very much the CBD for that area.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I don't know about today, but Clear Lake grew up around NASA. At one time it was very much the CBD for that area.
Nowadays things are spread out here, but there is a more diverse array of professional jobs here than most people realize. Certainly more than the vast, westmost seas of composite rooftops.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Nowadays things are spread out here, but there is a more diverse array of professional jobs here than most people realize. Certainly more than the vast, westmost seas of composite rooftops.
Yeah, my time in Houston was mainly the 70's and early 80's... and back then Clear Lake's focal point was still NASA. Some petrochemical stuff as well, but the space program was a much bigger force in those days than it is today. I had some friends who lived in Clear Lake, and their parents all worked in Clear Lake. A few worked at the Johnson Space Center. Not a lot of commuting to downtown Houston from CL from what I remember.

I also remember all the protests when Houston was about to annex CL in the late 70's. They wanted to incorporate as their own city, but you know how that goes (Kingwood, anybody?).

That was a long time ago. I'm sure it has changed, especially with the bare-bones space program that exists now.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:25 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
There's still a fair amount to fill in within Katy ISD (north side) and Cy-Fair ISD, and the Grand Parkway will help do it. Some portions of those districts are off-putting to more educated, higher-income buyers because of perceived school quality (at present), but there's still land in more desirable school zones that's available.

I do think that growth for more upscale subdivisions out west at some point (once the oil and gas industry goes back into growth mode) will skip Royal ISD and just go out to Sealy. Home buyers have shown they're more than willing to make the extra drive "for the schools." Seems illogical, but lots of folks on this board subscribe to that philosophy, so the market will respond.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
As long as major employers keep pushing west (as well as north and even east - but only a tiny bit), it will allow people to continue going further out. And unless Houston truly embraces public transportation that works, the ITL will somewhat close to additional business expansion and a greater percentage of companies will expand in the burbs and x-burbs. The push is definitely focused west and north-west.

I also see some expansion and push on the northeast side. I believe Generations Park will be the first of a few large business areas. I'm actually hoping this doesn't happen, because it will only hurt my commute and my property taxes. It appears the planners are realizing the east is going to grow. They are expanding 90 between Dayton/Liberty and Beaumont, and of course 90 between 10 and Crosby is a straight shot highway as of a couple of years ago.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:06 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Brookshire - probably. Sealy - no freakin' way. Unless people plan on living in their cars full-time, that's just way too far. I think Brookshire is the last stop on the Westward express. If anything, I think the new development will soon trend towards the South, along 288 into Brazoria county.
I agree Brookshire will be the furthest westward and most of the people living there will not be working Downtown I see most working in Westchase or Energy Corridor. 288 south I see hwy 6 Manvel being the furthest south

Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As long as major employers keep pushing west (as well as north and even east - but only a tiny bit), it will allow people to continue going further out. And unless Houston truly embraces public transportation that works, the ITL will somewhat close to additional business expansion and a greater percentage of companies will expand in the burbs and x-burbs. The push is definitely focused west and north-west.

I also see some expansion and push on the northeast side. I believe Generations Park will be the first of a few large business areas. I'm actually hoping this doesn't happen, because it will only hurt my commute and my property taxes. It appears the planners are realizing the east is going to grow. They are expanding 90 between Dayton/Liberty and Beaumont, and of course 90 between 10 and Crosby is a straight shot highway as of a couple of years ago.
There's actually very large projects happening out past Kingwood off I-69 now. Also, large tracts have been purchased by potential developers in the Plum Grove area of western Liberty County.

Given how fast it is to get into the Loop on the Crosby freeway, it's only a matter of time before more residential developers and homebuyers start putting northeast on the radar. Perception of school quality is the biggest hurdle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston