Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:52 AM

947 posts, read 2,100,472 times

Advertisements

My kitchen sink drain was leaking inside the wall and we decided to replace the whole kitchen which previously had water damage from a leaking shower drain from the second floor. You can see the damaged wall with paint flaked off near the stove. They had to cut the drywall on the ceiling to fix the shower drain and hence you see a fake vent on the ceiling.
I knew I can't afford a Kitchen contractor which likely costs $25k to $40k for a new 10x10 kitchen so I didn't bother to get a quote and waste their time. Yes, I am cheap and I rather put the extra cash into my kids' college funds.
My neighbor was using a handyman for their floor and bathroom renovation and the quality seems good enough for me so I decided to hire him to replace my kitchen update my bathrooms. For the kitchen, he is charging me $6500 for total labor (Originally $6200 but I asked for quartz backsplash and quartz bay window which the stonecutters charged the handyman more). Cabinets/sink/quartz/hardware cost another $4800. Tiles, paint and everything else cost around another $700. He pays for the stonecutters.

Cabinet boxes are made of Plywood. The drawers and doors are made of solid wood but some of the woods are joined from more than 1 pieces. I am not sure what the is name of this type of wood. We are almost done. They just need to add door knobs and trims. Here are the likes and dislikes:

Dislikes:
1) Since we are buying premade cabinets, we were not able to fit everything well so there are gaps are covered by fillers. I am not sure why they don't have enough cabinets with various widths to avoid gaps.
2) He didn't sand the ceiling on the previous paint before painting. I didn't have a chance to ask him to sand since I thought it is done normally for better adhesion. Although it is the same color.

1) He replaced the cracked drain pipe. He replaced two areas with new drywalls, patched, sanded, primed and painted everything before installing the cabinets even though most of the walls will be hidden.
2) The tile installation is very good. The gaps are consistent and the tile is flush with the wooden floor with no transition molding required.
3) His stonecutters which he hired and paid did a fabulous job. I can't see the joints from 2 to 3 feet away. I can hardly feel the joints when I run my fingers over. They put the same quartz on the bay window and backsplash.

Conclusion: I get a new kitchen for $12k. Obviously, it is not going to be as nice as a $30k kitchen but I saved $18k. My neighbor recently remodeled their kitchen for $30k and even though their cabinet installation quality is a little bit nicer my countertop and backsplash is much better installed with much smaller gaps. I am quite happy with the renovation.

Attached Thumbnails
Low budget kitchen renovation - k-old.jpg   Low budget kitchen renovation - k-tile.jpg   Low budget kitchen renovation - k-almost.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 12:18 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,089,931 times
My gosh, congrats, what a terrific job!

Old 05-16-2024, 05:53 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,156,277 times
Looks nice, and your costs sound reasonable for what you got.

Nothing wrong with the "before" picture, but I understand sometimes it's time to upgrade or change the look.

I worked with a woman about ten years ago who went on and on for weeks about getting new custom cabinets in her kitchen, with a final cost of $20,000! Yikes. For cabinets to store dishes and food? I can think of better things to spend $20K on.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:09 PM

134 posts, read 213,739 times
Great work, looks amazing. And you probably did not round corner in the process also ;-)

Old 05-16-2024, 09:25 PM

947 posts, read 2,100,472 times
The walls of the cabinets near the sink were always wet and no way we could fix the leaky drain without major work. The walls near the stove is very damaged especially near the ceiling. We were going to wait a few years but the leaky situation forced it.
I went to pick cabinets and within 1 hour we were done. I didn't want to spend too much time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Looks nice, and your costs sound reasonable for what you got.

Nothing wrong with the "before" picture, but I understand sometimes it's time to upgrade or change the look.

I worked with a woman about ten years ago who went on and on for weeks about getting new custom cabinets in her kitchen, with a final cost of $20,000! Yikes. For cabinets to store dishes and food? I can think of better things to spend $20K on.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:26 PM

19,939 posts, read 22,876,819 times
It looks great!

Old 05-17-2024, 05:35 AM

8,515 posts, read 7,500,537 times
Have to admit - I'm a little surprised that you didn't repaint. IMO the point in time when everything is stripped out and before the new floor goes in would have been an ideal time to do so.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:33 AM

9,944 posts, read 7,317,883 times
Regarding your comment on why pre-made cabinets aren't made in a number of widths is because it's expensive to make and stock cabinets in a number of sizes. That's the idea behind pre-made/stock cabinets. Once a standard size is deviated from, it becomes custom.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:58 AM

2,126 posts, read 1,073,139 times
It looks good, but that big sink not being centered on the bay window would drive me batshizit crazy

Old 05-17-2024, 07:06 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,464,516 times
That looks great, OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
It looks good, but that big sink not being centered on the bay window would drive me batshizit crazy
Centering the sink would eliminate the space for the dishwasher. Not having a dishwasher would make me crazier than an off center sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House