Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 02:27 PM

18,512 posts, read 31,753,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Her decor seems to have an affect on you.

My niece's house is the same, while not my aesthetic, it doesn't make me feel anything negative.

Her house gives her joy, and I'm happy for her.

LOL, It doesn't make me feel negative, LOL, I just don't want to read her walls, LOL.
I'm totally laughing right now, you made me laugh

Her home really is pretty though.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 03-09-2024 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 02:48 PM

48,629 posts, read 35,093,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

LOL, It doesn't make me feel negative, LOL, I just don't want to read her walls, LOL.

Her home really is pretty though.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2024, 03:17 PM

23,519 posts, read 19,234,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
And horrors, I got the big frames from Home Goods, hope no one notices and is sickened by that.
Getting the frames from HG isn't the problem. They are just facilitators; a means to an end. Filling the frames with mass-produced schlock that holds no meaning for anyone would be! Now if someone sees and buys a piece of mass-produced schlock because it does happen to mean something to them (reminds them of a place they love, a combination of color/pattern/texture they appreciate, whatever), that's something else again. It does happen. The point is, there was thought and intent behind adding it to their home.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Aw, don't worry too much. So many wall quotes and word art are so trite and ubiquitous you probably don't even need to read them to get their gist.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:42 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,529 posts, read 6,346,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
It seems funny to me too. Everyone is different. But this thread is motivating me to finish a few decorating projects. I have a collection of my late Grandpa's pro golfing memorabilia that I'm going to put up by the basement bar area. And horrors, I got the big frames from Home Goods, hope no one notices and is sickened by that.
Sounds like fun. Small collections are the most interesting. Now youll need a neon sign that says "golf".

Nothing wrong with HG. Ive picked up some good garden art there.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Sounds like fun. Small collections are the most interesting. Now youll need a neon sign that says "golf".
Agree. Some people seem to think that a collection must be extensive to be worth pursuing. I've done a bit of collecting of various items over the years (turn of the century Inuit, PNW, and CA Indian baskets, Eastern seaboard working duck decoys, a few fossils and minerals, Oaxacan alebrijes, PNW coast cedar masks, old style Inuit ivory and soapstone carving and traditional ulus).

I suspect the aspects of collecting I enjoyed most were the learning curve, the hunt, and discovering the unique story behind or provenance of each piece. Each of my little collections reached a point when I felt "done" and the urge to keep gathering ended. I seemed to have some sort of mental list of pieces I wanted. Once I found them it was finished. Years later I downsized to a few representative pieces that held special meaning because my now-educated eye could appreciate the unusual beauty, the skill and quality of the workmanship. I sold, traded, or gifted the rest. I really enjoy what's left. They accent my home, they don't overwhelm it. The ulus are mounted in a hobby store shadowbox frame in the kitchen where they "belong" .

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-13-2024 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 06:58 AM

50,472 posts, read 64,337,686 times
I’ve downsized, but now I need to purge again. Funny how things seem to accumulate.

My theory about decorating is, if I only acquire things I really love, they all seem to work together in harmony.

Everybody’s taste is different, and I wouldn’t put family pictures in main living areas, nor would I have sayings on the wall. I hate clutter, but I love to have groups of little surprises here and there.

Our friends bought a house in a new neighborhood. Nobody had any landscaping except sod. Surprising to me is, our friends have put in shrubs and flower beds, but nobody else on their street has. It just goes to show that many people just do not care about esthetics, either inside or outside.

Old 03-16-2024, 07:10 AM

7,209 posts, read 4,895,876 times
I have a wall of musical instruments. I don’t play anything, but I like the way they look. I have two large artwork prints from Hobby Lobby, not original anything, but I like them. I also have a traffic “speed limit” sign, and various other items on the walls. I will hang just about anything.
My kitchen has pans, utensils, a corkboard on the walls.
My walks are brick and bamboo panelling and various shades of cream.

Old Today, 01:27 PM

22,989 posts, read 6,467,705 times
I would hope people would decorate their homes according to what they like, not what the current trend is. Personally I’m neither a minimalist nor a cluttered type. For me a home that is clean with things I like to look at, pictures, plants, colors. If others like minimalism, cheap art, word signs, whatever, it doesn’t bother me. Hoarding does though.

Old Today, 02:52 PM

16,192 posts, read 10,868,537 times
I used to have an ancestor photo wall but when I downsized I didn’t have a place for them. I have my own photos enlarged and framed in several rooms. I have a few original art pieces framed and on display. My house is a “revival” style house where white (whitewashed) walls are true to style. That brightens the house and I keep the mounted artwork or photos to a minimum. I change them around periodically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating