Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 12:11 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times

Advertisements

Went to a game in Vegas center ice front row. It was great for my family as it was their first hockey game. I used to go to hockey games back in the 1980's and sat in the nosebleed seats.

I didn't enjoy the style of play or intensity of the game. There was hardly any hitting throughout the game, and there was little intensity. The game was between the first and second place teams in the same division. This should have been a hard-fought game with a lot of hitting, pushing and shoving, screaming. Instead, it was a lot dancing, compliance, lackadaisical demeaners. Based on this game alone, the league looks soft in comparison to what I recall from days of old. Maybe this is what the public wants nowadays, but for me I liked a good fight here and there, and hard hits against the glass. To me the sport is ruined with over officiating and rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienceisgift View Post
lol what is it with these people that want moe violence in their sport. american football like to hit defendless players to show how tough they are then they go to mma ring and nowhere near do they show that aggression they show when hitting someone that can not hit back or being in armor. then hockey fight in 80s happen but even then when somebody sees somebody tougher then him they do not pick on him. i mean what do people go to arenas to watch in n american sport s
Hockey fights from 1980's were often an extension of the intensity of the game. I found the game more entertaining when it was a physical rough game. I don't exclusively find the fancy skating and less contact as entertaining. If there were more of a balance, I could find it more palatable. Overall, I think the sport has overdone the rules nowadays. Of course, I only represent myself, and if the public likes the sport the way it is now, then I don't have to watch, which in general I don't.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienceisgift View Post
so you want to play tough and be what constantly in your face tough guy lol. that is extremally boring
You aren't a very good writer so it's hard to understand your posts.
I'm not playing hockey; I've stated the style of hockey I like to see.
It appears you like today's hockey, which I find to be boring in comparison to hockey from the past.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:14 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
You aren't a very good writer so it's hard to understand your posts.
I'm not playing hockey; I've stated the style of hockey I like to see.
It appears you like today's hockey, which I find to be boring in comparison to hockey from the past.
Some would agree, while many others appreciate the skill level, which now is superior compared to the past.
Fighting in Hockey is still alive but much less then before. Many players of today though get some formal training in combat fight skills. That being said I would take most NHL players in a fist fight over most NFL, MLB or NBA players, not that that is totally relevant to your argument.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Some would agree, while many others appreciate the skill level, which now is superior compared to the past.
More finesse skills in today's hockey. Speed and skating are faster. Hitting is way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Fighting in Hockey is still alive but much less then before. Many players of today though get some formal training in combat fight skills. That being said I would take most NHL players in a fist fight over most NFL, MLB or NBA players, not that that is totally relevant to your argument.
I liked the spur of the moment wild brawls that would occasionally erupt. The fans seemed to really enjoy that, and generally still seem to. As the game evolved now the penalties are so severe and rules so strictly enforced that the game has become sterile to me.

Here is a fun little fight from yesteryear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZx_U3s8IY&t=404s

Old 11-29-2022, 05:39 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I-m glad bench clearing brawls from the 80s is gone. 5 on 5 brawls are still good though. I guess that means I prefer the 90s. I loved 80s hockey, just not the bench clearing brawls. .The intensity of hockey was not just due to fighting. They still have very intense games, especially in the playoffs. However, I say the above despite being a Red Wings fan that loved the Wings-Avs rivalry, especially the game on March 26, 1997 that featured a lot of blood on the ice. That was all 5-on-5 (6-on-6) fighting though.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:43 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
The game is just much too fast and technical now to include constant huge hits. Not to mention, there would be too many career-ending injuries -- much more than prior. I, for one, have no desire to watch Scott Stevens kill Connor McDavid with a cheap open-ice elbow to the head. For what? Just so that we can watch some stupid fight at center-ice?

I want to watch the actual game of hockey.

Use hits/checks as an immobilization method -- not to injure/please the casual crowds.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:57 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The game is just much too fast and technical now to include constant huge hits. Not to mention, there would be too many career-ending injuries -- much more than prior. I, for one, have no desire to watch Scott Stevens kill Connor McDavid with a cheap open-ice elbow to the head. For what? Just so that we can watch some stupid fight at center-ice?

I want to watch the actual game of hockey.

Use hits/checks as an immobilization method -- not to injure/please the casual crowds.
That is an excellent point. Todays athletes are better conditioned, bigger, stronger and faster then ever. People complain about current rules in the NFL for example which makes the game seem softer, without realizing if todays football players played with the rules of years ago there would be many more critical injuries.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Went to a game in Vegas center ice front row. It was great for my family as it was their first hockey game. I used to go to hockey games back in the 1980's and sat in the nosebleed seats.

I didn't enjoy the style of play or intensity of the game. There was hardly any hitting throughout the game, and there was little intensity. The game was between the first and second place teams in the same division. This should have been a hard-fought game with a lot of hitting, pushing and shoving, screaming. Instead, it was a lot dancing, compliance, lackadaisical demeaners. Based on this game alone, the league looks soft in comparison to what I recall from days of old. Maybe this is what the public wants nowadays, but for me I liked a good fight here and there, and hard hits against the glass. To me the sport is ruined with over officiating and rules.
Hockey without ****housery is just not fun anymore. Its like watching the local men's league playing.

If college hockey allowed fighting and had more hitting, they can be as big as football.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:41 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
How have the cross checking rules, and boarding rules changed since the 80s? I know it was a lot rougher from HL vids, and what I see in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey