Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the name 'Kraken'?
Yes 15 31.25%
No 25 52.08%
Indifferent 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 06:19 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Ask Detroit. Although the octupus isn't the official for the Detroit hockey team, it's association is synonymous with the Red Wings organization and I believe they even have an octopus as a mascot.
Red Wings fans threw octopi on the ice because in the Original Six era, when it started, 8 wins were required to win the Cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 02:32 AM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Just having a name in common doesn't mean it's the same franchise - any more than the current Winnipeg Jets is the old Winnipeg Jets. And the Seattle Metropolitans weren't even an NHL team. They played in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association.
The Montreal Canadiens and the old Ottawa Senators weren't a part of the NHL initially neither. Both of them were a part of the old NHA until that organization became the NHL. Either way, I would've loved to have at least seen the Metropolitans name been revived for legacy and history sakes. Kraken just seems to be full of jokes (Krackheads, Krackers, etc.) but then again, I don't live in the city nor do I own the team and I can only hope the team's name doesn't get made fun off.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:06 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
It just sounds a bit weird. Had to look it up of course, but it seems like they could have come up with something from Scandinavian folklore that was more fitting with Seattle's name.
I think I might be a little jealous because it would have sounded better with Kansas City.... except for the part it's not on the ocean. Although, there might be some freaky stuff lurking in the Missouri River.
Kansas City Kraken. Ah, missed opportunities.

Last edited by sub; 07-08-2021 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 05:13 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The Montreal Canadiens and the old Ottawa Senators weren't a part of the NHL initially neither. Both of them were a part of the old NHA until that organization became the NHL. Either way, I would've loved to have at least seen the Metropolitans name been revived for legacy and history sakes. Kraken just seems to be full of jokes (Krackheads, Krackers, etc.) but then again, I don't live in the city nor do I own the team and I can only hope the team's name doesn't get made fun off.
Hate to say it, but it's only a matter of time.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:25 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
I will give Seattle a little credit here, their jerseys look good in action especially the road jersey. The name however I still think is terrible, arguably the worst in major league sports.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:35 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I will give Seattle a little credit here, their jerseys look good in action especially the road jersey. The name however I still think is terrible, arguably the worst in major league sports.
It’s an AHL/ECHL name at best.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:31 PM

294 posts, read 743,402 times
Should have honored the minor league team history with Totems. Kraken is pure minor league.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:00 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
Should have honored the minor league team history with Totems. Kraken is pure minor league.
The name Kraken has grown on me and now and I like it...my first choice would have been the Totems but now....
I am excited about the second year of the Kraken...second place in the west division and on a 8 game win streak and finishing up winning 7 games in a row on the road which is a NHL record.

Giving the Bruins its first home lost and a shut out to boot...

What's not to like? Well I am not excited about the weird mascot and I don't think it will grow on me either, if it is suppose to resemble a Mystic sea monster it fall was short. It looks like a Seattle homeless person that been on the streets to long.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I like the Salmons or Sea Lions. It goes together with Sea Hawks.

They can even have a big tank with trained Sea Lions doing tricks for mackerel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey