Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 11:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times

Advertisements

For anyone interested in history of early Hollywood, I recently read Fay Wray and Robert Riskin, a Hollywood memoir written by Victoria Riskin. Lots of interesting content on early years of Hollywood and the start of Screen Writers Guild and the unionization movement as well as how life was for actors and writers in the studio system. Robert Riskin writer who partnered with Frank Capra for the string of classics in 1930s - It Happened One Night, Mr Deeds Goes To Town, Meet John Doe and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 04:39 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
I suspect the OP has long since moved on. However, if he is still reading this and is interested in book recommendations one of my favorite books that is about 350 pages long is His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph Ellis. He covers the important points about Washington and doesn't get bogged down in intricate detail the way that some authors do.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:18 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I recently read Eric Larson's Splendid and the Vile covering Winston Churchill's efforts to keep Britain's morale up and defended during the Blitz.

Shelby Foote is sometimes criticized these days, but I liked his The Beleaguered City - The Vicksburg Campaign.

Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917 Sally M. Walker (A munitions ship blew up and killed 2,000 people.)

Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe Laurence Bergreen (A survival story)

Half Moon: Henry Hudson and the Voyage that Redrew the Map of the New World Douglas Hunter (He was supposed to be exploring a sea route around the north of Russia, oops.)

House of Rain: Tracking a Vanished Civilization Across the American Southwest Craig Childs (This is an interesting examination of the succession of the Southwest's pueblo-like cultures following the author's notion of an evolution of cultures.)

Unknown Shore: The Lost History of England's Arctic Colony Robert Ruby (Sir Martin Frobisher's attempt to explore and establish a colony in the Canadian Arctic in the 1570s)

Young Stalin Simon Sebag Montefiore (One-dimensional demon, Josef Stalin followed a complex path to power from a very unlikely start.)

One book I always recommend for any history buff's bookshelf is The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events by Bernard Grun, which is a reference book of concurrent events. We often fail to realize what all was happening at the same time. (1642: English civil war began, Cardinal Richelieu died, the Puritans closed all theaters in England, Rembrandt painted "The Night Watch", Galileo died, Isaac Newton born, England started income and property tax).

Old 03-22-2024, 01:43 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
One book I always recommend for any history buff's bookshelf is The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events by Bernard Grun, which is a reference book of concurrent events. We often fail to realize what all was happening at the same time. (1642: English civil war began, Cardinal Richelieu died, the Puritans closed all theaters in England, Rembrandt painted "The Night Watch", Galileo died, Isaac Newton born, England started income and property tax).
I had that book a long time ago. Have no idea where it disappeared to, but it's long gone.

I find anything written by Walter Lord to be easily accessible. He had a knack for doing highly detailed research but distilling it all down to a fairly brief, easily digestible and highly interesting format. He is best known for A Night to Remember, about the Titanic. He also tackled Pearl Harbor in Day of Infamy. But my personal favorite work of his is Incredible Victory about the Battle of Midway.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:42 AM

1,411 posts, read 565,000 times
Some books that I enjoyed:

"The Washing of the Spears" Donald Morris
"The White Nile" and "The Blue Nile" Alan Moorehead
"The Campaigns of Napoleon" David Chandler
"Conquest" Hugh Thomas
" The Forgotten Soldier" Guy Sajer"
" Goodbye to All That" Robert Graves
" Son of the Morning Star" Evan Connell
"Personal Memoirs" U.S. Grant
"Strong Men Armed" Robt. Leckie
" With the Old Breed" Eugene Sledge
"Bugles and a Tiger" John Masters
" The First Day on the Somme" Martin Middlebrook

Old 04-08-2024, 03:58 AM

6 posts, read 10,661 times
I’d like to recommend Albion’s Seed by David Hackett Fischer, it gives a fairly broad picture of colonial America, showing how the cultures of different areas in the U.S. were determined by the different regions of the British isles that people immigrated from. It is more textbook-ish but that also means you can jump around to different subjects in it that interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History