Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:30 PM

95 posts, read 296,210 times

Advertisements

Ok..here's the real deal from a Black man who's lived here 23 years..... Yes there is a Black population on Oahu. Like previous posters have said, you will tend to see us in the communities around the military bases. Aiea, Pearl City, Kailua, Kaneohe, Wahiawa, Waianaie and in Honolulu proper. Contrary to popular believe, there are Blacks who were born and raised here like everyone else. There are Blacks also on the more affluent east side such as Hawaii Kai. Things like getting a hair cut or soul food, you will find more on the Leeward side (Pearl City or Wahiawa). As far as the clubs, take it from a former bouncer such as myself.... you will love it but only if you go in with an open mind and accept ALL cultures. This is a tourist town FIRST AND FOREMOST so there are people from all over the world in the clubs and on the beaches. The radio stations play the same stuff that's on the mainland because all the radio stations are owned by Clear Channel or the competition so it's all the same stuff over and over and over..... Start buying mixed tape CD's if you want some dope sounds..... As far as the women, it's like 31 flavors over here with all the mixed cultures..... What ever skin tone you're into, you will find here. My best advise to you is if you have a "attitude that you are better" than everyone else because you come from the mainland, LOOSE IT FAST or you will have major problems here. I've been here 23 years and never had a problem with a local just because I'm Black. In fact, I"ve gotten more "love" from the locals than in Alabama or SC where I came from... Just learn to relax and do things just a little bit more low key than whrere you came from and you'll love it here......From at 23 year vet in the islands....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM

34 posts, read 369,305 times
Thanks for the info Ray. So Pearl City seems like the best area to move to. Close to honolulu, available to get around the place and the rest of Oahu and its close to the airport. I'm into all types of women...and great to see you've been there so long. But how is the job availability. We are staying at my friends Old Home so no rent cost. but we do have to pay all the bills....Is TV,Internet,Lights, Water, Gas more expensive than the mainland?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit4Life View Post
Thanks for the info Ray. So Pearl City seems like the best area to move to. Close to honolulu, available to get around the place and the rest of Oahu and its close to the airport. I'm into all types of women...and great to see you've been there so long. But how is the job availability. We are staying at my friends Old Home so no rent cost. but we do have to pay all the bills....Is TV,Internet,Lights, Water, Gas more expensive than the mainland?
Yes and no... We have NO winters so no heating bills and trade winds most of the year so you can get by w/o a/c except maybe August and September... Getting a job may be a problem if you're not a vet or already have a history with a mainland company doing business in Hawaii. Over here, it's who you know, not what you know that can open a lot of doors. I've worked for the federal government except for a 5 year period with a Fortune 500 mainland company that had an office here. Pearl City / Aiea or Salt Lake are close to downtown HNL but not in the city proper. Stay away from Ewa Beach or Waianae because you will be stuck in traffic constantly and the drive home after a night of partying is brutal... Keep in touch, I'll give you the 411.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 PM

I don't know what line of work you're in, but you may try to hook up with a job on base. Google GREAT LIFE HAWAII for links to base jobs that aren't civil service but are base jobs. Also check out this temp agency called Labor Ready. I have some contacts there that I could name drop and maybe get you in the door. If you are a vet or prior civil service, then check out USA JOBS or ARMY CPOL. There are tons of civil service jobs that also include COLA or Locality Pay on top of the salary.....

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit4Life View Post
Great thanks for the input. Can't wait and since my buddy's a native we shouldn't experience too much discrimination right?
Some advice....NEVER call a "local" person NATIVE.... "Local" or Hawaiian (if he's native or part native Hawaiian) is cool. I'm surprised you haven't got a verbal beat down yet in this post on that one.... Your "buddy" should've told you this stuff..... Just what part of Hawaii is he from?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM

34 posts, read 369,305 times
My friend just informed me that we'll be coming staying in the Salt Lake area for a few years. Is there nice shopping in the area? Great to know about the heating/My line of work is in Construction and Hospitality type of jobs. Also thank you for the info about the jobs available. Salt lake doesn't look to be far after a night of partying and hanging out. lol I will make sure to call them locals. You've been very helpful and its much appreciated.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 PM

17 posts, read 39,936 times
There are def. AA people in Hawaii! many families move their are from military, of course military isn't permanent though. islanders embrace reggae as well

Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,482 times
Yes I have not heard of Hawaiians being discrimantory towards blacks. They are very friendly good hearted people, I am not sure of relations with whites, depends on the types of whites you encounter. My aunt is Hawaiian and she married a black man and has no problems with it, nor does her family. I think despite whatever your ethnicity is just respect the culture you will be entering. Although it is part of the U.S. the way of life is quite different out there. Just go in with appreciation with what you will learn and show that appreciation when you encounter others. You will be fine. The women are gorgeous and the men are very handsome...such a beautiful group of people!! Mahalo!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 AM

50 posts, read 154,108 times
melaniej65

Thank you for your comment on 5/31/2010 it really gave me a better understanding I am a African American female I Just moved to Oahu I live in Ewa Beach right now and I LOVE IT!!! Personally I feel the locals are very nice here. I have always been greeted with a warm smile...........But just like in the Mainland you can pass the haoles and they act like they did not hear a word when you say hello or ALoha I learned long ago 9 out of 10 of them just THINK they are better than everyone else and only God knows why because ALL MEN WHERE CREATED EQUAL!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
Mbennie-
I am so glad that you have found a warm welcome here and that you love it! Hawaii has a lot to offer to those who wish to give her a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii