Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 06:31 AM

7,341 posts, read 5,230,702 times

Advertisements

"Well, I didn't know that."-- Dick Martin. Thanks for pointing this out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tria...rage%20of%2014.

I have to object...They're always blaming us Mafiosi for everything....I did have to laugh when the article says the EU is bringing charges against Italy, but are silent about where all the toxic waste is coming from-- the rest of Europe.....Those EU officials better be careful. The life expectancy of those who oppose organized crime in Italy tends to be short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 09:21 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,372,917 times
Coming from you, it sounds so natural and humorous.
I wouldn't dream of disrespecting Don Corleon.

Old 05-12-2024, 05:26 PM

7,341 posts, read 5,230,702 times
"I get no respect."-- Don Cor-- oh! Wait. That's Rodney. Dangerfield

The Italians have a long history of problems handling waste. ....The aqueducts were built because they had fouled the Tiber River so badly....long standing tradition of dumping victims in the river, and their sewer system (cf-- Cloaca Maxima) emptied directly into it. ....Maybe that's why they were the first to come up with concrete that would set under water for those famous cement overcoats?

And then there's Monte Testaccio-- Rome's "eighth hill," It was made of discarded oil amphora. They couldn't clean the residual oil out of the clay pottery walls so they couldn't reuse them. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Testaccio

Old 05-14-2024, 03:49 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,522,857 times
Default I heard it was transported to Texas for disposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
While chemicals from Industrial spills can be detected at amazingly long distances, ground water from OH is going to wind up in the Gulf, and prevailing winds go west to east, so it's not very plausible that TX would get any from that particular spill.

Chem!cals disperse by an inverse square law, so they dilute very rapidly as they sp!read, so unless you're an eyewitness, so to speak, of a spill, you're probably safe.....There are no poisons, only poisonous doses for all chemicals. Even water and oxygen can reach toxic levels.

It's been 60 yrs since the Cayahoga River in Cleveland caught fire. "Pollution" is not the problem it used to be, and we're long past the point of diminishing returns in pollution regulation......Habitat loss dwarfs pollution as an environmental problem.

Yes, I mean this "
I believe creepy is talking about actual waste, likely contaminated soil, being dug up and transported to Texas for disposal. Not environmental dispersion." but in this case the liquid, I heard it was transported to Texas for disposal.

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,715,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Yes, I mean this "
I believe creepy is talking about actual waste, likely contaminated soil, being dug up and transported to Texas for disposal. Not environmental dispersion." but in this case the liquid, I heard it was transported to Texas for disposal.

The liquid waste would have to be treated (contaminated water) or recycled/conditioned for reuse (the actual product itself). There is what's referred to the "paint filter test." You put some of the waste into a paint filter and if any liquid drips out, it can't go into a landfill without further treatment. I had some waste put into "drum jail" until we figured out next steps and cost because the waste in the drums didn't past the filter test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living