Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 10:37 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times

Advertisements

The kid is 16 now people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 04:22 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Being really overweight is so hard for kids as they go through their school years. It just affects their whole social world and self esteem. I'm one of those kids of grandmothers who would say something regardless of whether my kids got mad or not. They have to know you are right....they just are in denial. For the sake of the child, perhaps you could just sit down and talk to them.
I don't have a link, but I read a study a long time ago that obese kids AND adults are looked down upon and bullied far more than any other reason.

People with deformities, different personality traits (geeks), poor hygiene, minorities, etc, have far less chance of being teased or bullied than obese kids.

It's sad how judgmental society is that fat shaming is a thing, especially with kids. It must break their hearts.

When I was young, I was self-conscious about an almost undetectable deformity and any time it was mentioned, I wanted to crawl under a rock. I can't imagine the torment overweight kids go through.

Last edited by gouligann; 01-09-2024 at 04:33 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 07:26 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Three years later, another regurgitated post.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:14 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Three years later, another regurgitated post.

Yeah, but rest assured, some other grandparent probably needs to hear that it's none of their business!

Old 02-02-2024, 01:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
Stay out of it. If she visits, just make sure you feed her healthy food but don’t make a big deal of it.

I wasn’t obese as a child, but at 12 when I hit puberty, my weight blossomed due to PCOS which no one knew about back then. I got told by my grandmother that “I’d be so pretty if I just lost weight” which I internalized as I was ugly.

I stayed overweight to morbidly obese til 13 years ago when I decided to have a bariatric procedure called a Duodenal Switch. I now weigh 119 lbs at 5’3. I’m being called tiny by medical professionals which is something that had never happened before in my life. Too bad my age has marked my face with time and I’m not “pretty” in the same way a teenager would be. But I am NOT UNHAPPY WITH HOW I LOOK. Also I understand my grandmother meant well, she just didn’t know how to express her concern. She should have said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents