Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you see your children or grandchildren?
Daily 4 23.53%
Weekly 3 17.65%
Monthly 4 23.53%
Twice a Year 2 11.76%
Once a Year 2 11.76%
Who? 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 06:42 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times

Advertisements

I have a son, DIL and grandson who live less than 20 miles away and my other son, DIL, and 4 grandyoungsters live about 75 miles away. We see the 20 mile away grandson every Sunday, but that's when we drive down there. They can't make it over here. Plus they live 5 miles from DIL's mother, so guess where she spends every day off? My wife just had shoulder replacement surgery yesterday and won't be able to make that 20 mile drive for several more weeks. It was a hard enough ride for her anyway because of back and hip problems, so don't know when we'll get to see him and them.
As far as my other grandkids, their dad and I don't get along very well. His mother, after we divorced, made sure he hated me. If I see his kids, I have to drive up there, leaving my wife home. I've always made it a point to drive up for each one's birthday and take them to get their present. They choose where to shop and I give them a $25 limit. The two oldest (14 and 16) have cell phones now so I'll text them from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 08:38 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
My youngest is 32 and living in my house so I see him most days unless he's travling. My oldest is 36 and lives in another part of the state so I only see her 1-2 times a year in person We talk and text regularly though. I see my mom at least weekly, usually more, she lives close but no longer drives so I do her shopping and take her to appointments, etc. . The kid who lives with me sees her and his gradpa on his dads side, who lives about 30 minutes away, maybe once a month. When the kids were little we all saw my parents and inlaws weekly or more, someone was always dropping by the others house on their way to or from somewhere. It was nice!

My kids aren't on tract to have children of their own so visits from grandchildren probably aren't in my future.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:16 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
The ones that live 500 miles away - about 4 times a year. We drive for long weekends.

The ones that live 2000 miles away, used to fly out 4 times a year, now try to make it 2-3 times.

The ones that live 300 miles away, about 6 times a year. Sometimes I'll bring 1 or 2 grandkids back home with me for a few days.

My youngest daughter lives 30 minutes away, see her a bit more often, they're busy too.

We'd love to see all of them more. We joke that we have fun, happy visits because we're not there long enough to get on each other's nerves.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:21 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,390 times
My son, DIL and grandkids (one was born during Covid so I haven't met him yet) live 3000 miles away. Unfortunately they don't like to fly and I now have anxiety when flying so I haven't flown back in 3-1/2 years.

They are planning on coming out next spring because my daughter is getting married otherwise they would probably not make a a trip out. I asked my daughter if she would fly with me this summer because I really miss them so we are now planning a trip out in the next month or so.

I used to fly back to California several times a year (especially when my Mom had dementia). However it took a toll on me flying back and forth every couple of months so I just have an aversion to flying now. I also can't drive long distances to see my daughter who is 3 hours away. My husband has to either drive me down or I go back with my daughter when she comes for a visit (trying to psych myself up to take the train). I don't know how I got this way but it sure does suck especially because I used to be so adventurous!

At some point, after my daughter has children, I will make a decision on moving. Just not sure right now if it will be to where my daughter lives or back to California. I just know I want to be close in proximity to at least one of my children and be active in my grandchildren's lives. This is not how I envisioned living my golden years :-(

Old 12-17-2023, 07:59 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
My grown grandchildren live in 3 different states, and my 2 little ones in Puerto Rico. We have seen all of them this year, but normally this never happens. Our travel budget does not allow us to fly around the country every year.

We live in a favorable climate, so they tend to visit us sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents