Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 11:49 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Yes it's a real pickle.
My daughter/son-in-law can't afford to "buy us out". To matters worse, the reality of us really moving away finally hit my daughter and everyday is a drama-fest. Yelling, crying, sulking, you name it.
Several thoughts--your daughter and SIL don't need to buy you out. Either file the paperwork to divide up the land so you each own your own parcel and house free and clear, or you rent out the house you are currently living in and move.

Quote:
Its the classic mother - daughter fights. Both are battling to Mother-hen and both are stubborn!
You're trying to make this about both sides being wrong. That's not the issue at all. Your wife already got to raise her children. Now she needs to step back and respect your daughter's lead. If she can't do that (what I hear you saying is that your wife has demonstrated repeatedly that she has no wish to improve her bad behavior) then you need to move to a different state and become grandparents that visit several times a year. The space will be better for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 03:07 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
You're trying to make this about both sides being wrong. That's not the issue at all. Your wife already got to raise her children. Now she needs to step back and respect your daughter's lead. If she can't do that (what I hear you saying is that your wife has demonstrated repeatedly that she has no wish to improve her bad behavior) then you need to move to a different state and become grandparents that visit several times a year. The space will be better for everyone.
+1. I totally agree. Grandma trying to be the "Mother Hen" and out-mother the actual mother is way, waaay out of line.

I had the same issues with my mother-in-law, which I've described elsewhere. Some grandmothers (I haven't seen this so much with grandfathers) really seem to believe that being the Grandma gives them the right to be in charge and do whatever they want with the grandkids, against the express wishes of those kids' actual parents. You all definitely need some more space between you.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
+1. I totally agree. Grandma trying to be the "Mother Hen" and out-mother the actual mother is way, waaay out of line.

I had the same issues with my mother-in-law, which I've described elsewhere. Some grandmothers (I haven't seen this so much with grandfathers) really seem to believe that being the Grandma gives them the right to be in charge and do whatever they want with the grandkids, against the express wishes of those kids' actual parents. You all definitely need some more space between you.
I agree that is likely (Grandmother trying to "out-mother" the real mother causing problems).

Neither my mother or MIL were vocal about how we were raising our children (their grandchildren). Of course, they loved them, but never tried to overshadow the actual parents (Hubby and me). They occasionally stated their experiences or gave us an opinion but never disagreed with any of our decisions or went against our wishes.

I have heard so many horror stories about domineering grandmothers that when I became a grandmother I decided to be extra, extra careful about my interactions with my grandchildren. I clear everything in advance with both parents, when to visit, how long to visit, what items and books to give as gifts, what to feed them, what activities I do with them, etc., etc. They are the parents so their rules and regulations RULE!

Old 05-27-2021, 04:07 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
All helpful ideas but I have decided to suck it up and go back to my old job while I continue to look for job closer to my home.

Staying is the least of all evils IMO. Moving would kill you financially.

Look into legally dividing the properties now, before either of you needs to sell. Your daughter could end up having to sell next year, it could be a huge mess for you if she has to sell in a hurry.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:08 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,782 times
I live in the same community as my son and his wife and grandchildren. Does your wife work? If not tell her to look into volunteering she needs something to do, I see my grandkids weekly, I am there if they need me, but we do live separate lives. We get along because we try not to interfere with their role as parents. We do the best we can. But I would never move because the grandkids know we are there if they need us.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:48 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree that is likely (Grandmother trying to "out-mother" the real mother causing problems).

Neither my mother or MIL were vocal about how we were raising our children (their grandchildren). Of course, they loved them, but never tried to overshadow the actual parents (Hubby and me). They occasionally stated their experiences or gave us an opinion but never disagreed with any of our decisions or went against our wishes.

I have heard so many horror stories about domineering grandmothers that when I became a grandmother I decided to be extra, extra careful about my interactions with my grandchildren. I clear everything in advance with both parents, when to visit, how long to visit, what items and books to give as gifts, what to feed them, what activities I do with them, etc., etc. They are the parents so their rules and regulations RULE!
Hear, hear! Same with me.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:46 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Crap - old obsolete thread somebody responded to where advice is no longer needed.

This thread needs to die since OP long ago made his decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents