Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM

65 posts, read 299,780 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,
i am wondering if you could help me come up with some gift ideas for my mother in law. my husband and i have a 6 mo old baby who my mil adores. she has also helped us out so much financially and emotionally all through our marriage, especially with our baby. she will be visiting us this weekend from out of state, and i really want to do something special for her while she is here visiting us. what are some great gifts that grandmas have recieved or would love to? Or, what is something special grandma and baby can do together? We have about a 100$ to spend. any ideas would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Rhea, honey, don't worry about spending money on Grandma You have given her the greatest gift she could ever hope for..Just let her spend all the time she wants with the babyand let her do as much of his care as she wants..Take yourself a needed rest while Grandma is there to help out..She will love it This would be a good time for you and hubby to have a night out..That is good for you and him, and will show grandma how much you "need her"..If she came by plane, (or drove herself) it would make her happy if you would surprise her with a small giftbag to carry on with a few snacks, a magazine and a letter or card handwritten telling her how much it means to you and the baby that she can spend time with you and help make good memories for the baby as he grows..I guarantee you that a personal letter of love will be more precious than any storebought gift

Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 AM

Default appreciation is better than material

hi blue62- that is a great idea- i love it! she is flying so i will make her a gift bag and a note to tell her how much she means to us! that is better than anything we could buy her. i will defiently take advantage of the date night with my husband! thank you!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
You could take her to have her picture taken with the baby too. A little portrait to hang up in her house.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM

261 posts, read 954,273 times
A handwritten note is always a great way of showing someone how much they mean to you. If you are crafty, put pictures that you may have of baby and grandma, together in a scrapbook and send it to her after she goes home and it will be waiting for her in the mail. Write a nice little note or poem inside signing it with lots of love.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,545 times
You might want to make something like this paper plate.
This is an old post I did during christmas time but I love this
plate she made for me.
I also have a little flower vase that has a suction cup on it and it is on my kitchen window, I call it my grandma vase. Every time one of my girls brings me weeds or very short stem flowers out of the yard I put them in the vase to enjoy until the next time even if they are dead. lol

I have a paper plate with a hand print of the oldest grandchild from pre school with this on it .And I nearly cry every time I read it.
I miss you when we're not together
I'm growing up so fast
See how big I've gotten
since you saw me last
As I grow, I'll change a lot,
The years will fly right by.
You'll wonder how I grew so quick.
When and where and why?
So look upon this handprint
That's hanging on your wall.
And memories will come back of me,
When I was very small.
I love you Grandma!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 PM

Default gift for grandma

i love all these ideas! sounds like handmade is better over store bought! i am going to make a homemade coconut cake decorated with flowers and a cute little flag on the cake that says "i love grandma" I can't wait! I also bought some beautiful stationary to write a note of thanks too

Old 02-28-2008, 04:54 AM

303 posts, read 980,239 times
An excellent plan! Please share with us her reaction!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM

104 posts, read 435,379 times
Here's a couple of ideas should you need to purchase a gift in the future. I treasure two items I received at Christmas. One is a "child" necklace with my grandson's birth stone in it. The other is a small photo album for me to keep in my purse to show off my grandbaby.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 PM

Smile conclusion

hello everyone. Grandma left a couple of days and this is what we did for her.....
on her first night here we made a homemade coconut cake- yum! I decorated it with flowers adn wrote "i love grandma" on it. My mother in law loved it! Then the night before she left we gave her a gift bag with a framed picture of our daughter Rowan, a magazine for the plane ride, and a baby book called grandma and me by molly katz. My husband also wrote her a note telling her how much she means to us. My mother in law loved it and was so thankful! tears were defientley shed!
Thank you all so much for your suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents