Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:25 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,655,633 times

Advertisements

Go to a small hole in the wall restaurant about an hour away when on business. They have a large unheated aquarium (approximately 60 to 80 gallons?). About a year ago, noticed about 6 newly released large Cichlids (looked like Red Devils) dead on bottom...they were clueless! Let them know and they disposed of them.

Next time back (about a year ago), there was only ONE feeder goldfish in the entire tank...quickly went to Petsmart, got a handful of feeder goldfish and released them in the tank. Fessed up to owner about a week later, he was so happy...gave my mom and myself free lunch!

A year later yesterday (new restaurant now) I went back and they still have the aquarium. Five healthy, lively, hungry feeder goldfish that have DOUBLED IN SIZE and filling out the tank nicely!

Now have an excuse to eat there when in the area and check up on the goldies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 09:35 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,059 times
My daughters won goldfish at the fair one year. Those little feeder ones. One died right away, but the second one we bought a tank for and Sparkle lived for at least four solid years, could have been even longer I lost track. Pretty good for a feeder goldfish. It also probably doubled if not tripled in size. When we got her she was all orange and black, but it turns out some of that color was trauma, she got healthy and turned a beautiful bright orange. She was a mean thing, killed other fish, so she ended up being a loner.

So nice of you to help that Chinese place out and now you can see those fish thriving every time you visit.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
One thing about goldfish, they will grow fast if given space. Last April I bought a dozen of the 22" feeders for my pond in the back yard, after some raccoons got my 6-8" fish. Now it has a wire screen over it. Anyway, they are at least double in size, after less than a year, and just yesterday the snow and 2" of ice finally melted so I can see that they survived the winter.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
My daughters won goldfish at the fair one year. Those little feeder ones. One died right away, but the second one we bought a tank for and Sparkle lived for at least four solid years, could have been even longer I lost track. Pretty good for a feeder goldfish. It also probably doubled if not tripled in size. When we got her she was all orange and black, but it turns out some of that color was trauma, she got healthy and turned a beautiful bright orange. She was a mean thing, killed other fish, so she ended up being a loner.

So nice of you to help that Chinese place out and now you can see those fish thriving every time you visit.

Feeder Goldfish Doubled In Size in 1 Year!?-5fish1yrlater.jpg

Yeah, they are doing well, pooping a lot and grubbing on the bottom consistently. There is a filter and some air stones in there with no heater (best for goldfish). Water quite dirty though...told new owner that should be a half/two-thirds water change every month or so. They swim up to you when you walk by tank...always hungry. Better the goldfish there, rather than being sold as turtle or Oscar food. The place is a hole in the wall, but the Kung Pao Chicken was very good! Will check up on them next time in the area.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Most varieties of goldfish are best kept as pond fish. They can easily grow to nearly a foot in length, and can live for 50 years or more. As a general rule of thumb, you want to allow 50 gallons of water for each common (aka feeder) goldfish at maturity.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:59 PM

10,297 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Someone dumped a goldfish in Lake Hodges many years ago. Fast forward to about 2015 or so. A fisherman nailed a six and a half pound goldfish. Made it an "all tackle" record.

Dunno how it tasted...

It was likely released, but not sure.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
That's hilarious that you stealthily put fish in their tank.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Attachment 208510

Yeah, they are doing well, pooping a lot and grubbing on the bottom consistently. There is a filter and some air stones in there with no heater (best for goldfish). Water quite dirty though...told new owner that should be a half/two-thirds water change every month or so. They swim up to you when you walk by tank...always hungry. Better the goldfish there, rather than being sold as turtle or Oscar food. The place is a hole in the wall, but the Kung Pao Chicken was very good! Will check up on them next time in the area.

Update...unfortunately the restaurant changed owners...looked in there...tank still there but empty. Apparently, the new owners were clueless about how to clean the tank and put soap or something in there and the goldfish died...frustrating. Well, at least they had a good home for a good 2 or 3 years before that happened.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:14 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post

Those restaurants dont have time to clean tanks,they work long hours and barely have time to wash their hair,you know wok stirfry is bad for hair

Old 05-08-2022, 11:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
feeder gold fish?
I go to a pet shop and they sell Koi and other fish,are feeder fish tiny ones used for feeding other fish?they are very cheap,if they do stay alive and grow,I may get them next time.
I dont have a fish bowl,can I just keep it in a plastic tub? 14 x8 x4 deep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish