Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 45,471 times

Advertisements

I been roaming around the craigslist and other places the last few days and keep seeing a pattern. We need a place to rent in Fargo; relocating there mid next month from Minneapolis because my other half got a decent job there.

We don't have good credit. We have awesome rent references, never missed a rent payment ever. What's up with all these "credit checks"? The both of us mostly got messed up on our credit rating cosigning for offspring and .. well, our kids damaged our credit pretty bad.

Is that the day and age now? Good credit our check into a homeless shelter? Seems like it, we had a heck of a time finding a place here in Minneapolis because of it.

Any apartment complexes around 600 a month (plus or minus a hundred or so) in the Fargo area that don't do credit checks? I've made umpteen phonecalls and numerous emails and .. maybe it's my luck, haven't found one yet. We're not very picky, just want a place to live and willing to part with money every month.

Call for help here, I'm getting frustrated. Think I'm just clicking on all the wrong ones and my internet time is limited the time being.

Last edited by wauzoo; 02-15-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,227 times
They may not be as big of complexes or as nice as perhaps you were looking for, but a previous poster in a similar situation had success with RKAK Rentals.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM

168 posts, read 335,514 times
Sorry but most places require a credit check now to rent, especially if its a actual apartment complex.

The only places I could recommend where they might not do a credit check is the old houses that get split up into apartments, those are mostly on the North side of town outside of the college. My sister lived in one of these when she did her first year at NDSU and she didnt have to get a background check. Most of these apartments though are not of good quality from what I have seen.

All of the actual apartments complexes that I know of require credit checks.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
I happened to see this on the front page.

OP - your best bet is craigslist.

Look for a basement in a house or maybe an entire floor. Maybe a separate unit beside the owners house. You may have to share the kitchen but you all should be able rent a place that has privacy without a credit check. Some owners will do a check while others may just want proof of income. It depends on who rents to you. The good references you have are going to help.
As the above poster already mentioned getting an actual apartment without the check is going to be very difficult.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM

457 posts, read 645,474 times
That's a problem here in New Mexico too. Glad to see it's not JUST New Mexico, California, New York and Massachusetts.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,404 times
It isn't an option for most people, but coming up with the first four months rent would work with most individual landlords. That's what I would do. I don't imagine a complex would have the flexibility.

I've never had a good experience in a complex.

I've always had a good experience with individual landlords.

I moved a lot in college because I was always taking off to do an internship in another state.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 9,778 times
Default Trying to move

It is ashame no one gives nobody a chance these days. Lots of people have bad credit due to unfortunate circumstances and Landlord's are not willing to give people a chance w bad credit and good references. I ruined my credit living in a Pvt house w tons of rats, termites etc and was stupid enough to use my credit cards to fix the problem after the landlord said "no" to fix the problem. The rat problem and termites did not go away after tenting and hiring a exterminator now I want out! Now the scum lord ruined my credit w his house that should be condemned. People. Let me know if anywhere in FL safe, clean, nice building to get an apt for me and my ten pound dog.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:17 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Landlords have a lot invested in their houses and buildings. I understand its difficult for you finding a place to stay, but you have to understand that landlords have given people chances, and thats why they now require credit checks. Its a financial decision not a personal one. Maybe find a room to rent somewhere; in the meantime, work on your credit if you want landlords to look at your application in a favorable light.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:18 PM

38 posts, read 60,256 times
The Mid West is very conservative. Usually with bad credit you will have to fork up a high deposit/down payment. Id be weary with craigslist, lots of slum lords on there ready to prey on the poor. Contact a community non profit agency like Salvation Army to help you with low cost rentals.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:54 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Landlords want solid tenants in their homes. It's become a long drawn out process to evict people these days, no credit check, not in my rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: