Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:29 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yes, I watched it. I did not realize he was joking, clearly. I've not had the opportunity to spend a lot of time talking to natives since the ones in WA state near where I lived downright despised us, and the ones in the Glades would not talk to the majority of white people, especially white females. So, no, I don't know their humor.
Most Alaska Natives are quite friendly and respectful, unless one gets on their wrong side, but who wouldn't? There is a great number of AK Natives in and around Fairbanks. My two sons have had several Native HS friends. They visit each other all the time. An Athabaskan student who worked with me for a couple of years still texts me to say hello (we text each other), and when I met him for the first time he teased me to death for a few weeks, until I realized that he was not trying to make me upset, just that he loved to joke and laugh. That was about ten years ago. Everything changed once I starting joking back with him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 06:34 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
I could not imagine living in areas where there are polar-bears and not
packing some severe firepower, all the time, or at least having it
very close at hand.

Last edited by tickyul; 01-23-2023 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-23-2023, 10:32 AM

15,414 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I could not imagine living in areas where there are polar-bears and not
packing some severe firepower, all the time, or at least having it
very close at hand.
You are going to carry "severe firepower" at all times to defend against something that happens once every 150 years, probably much longer?

With all due respect that sounds a little paranoid.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:06 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Residents of Alaska practice bear safety (no matter what type of bear is likely to be around) as part of their daily routine (not so much in Anchorage I guess from what I'm hearing but that's probably due to an influx of newcomers).

Moose are much more of a problem in Anchorage than bears. To be honest, I don't give bears a second thought in town. However, we live down in the "bowl" and bears are more prevalent on the Anchorage hillside.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
A Polar bear on the Seward Peninsula?

Since when they range down that far south

Old 01-23-2023, 10:13 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Discussion of bear patrols in this article following the attack.

https://apnews.com/article/animal-at...3588f019336e24

A couple take aways:
Wales used to have a patrol, funded by WWF.

Attack occurred in whiteout conditions.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:17 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Not very often. I was also surprised.

Old 01-24-2023, 01:40 AM

15,414 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

A long time.

Polar Bear Range Map, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Old 01-24-2023, 10:05 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It didn't have anything to do with "Native humor." It was just mild humor that shouldn't require cultural familiarity to understand.

The point was that oral history is metaphorical in nature. Never had any problems getting along with people in WA myself.

Anyway, here's a polar bear cam for anyone who's interested:

https://explore.org/livecams/polar-bears/polar-bear-cam
Of course you haven't.

You said it was humor, and now say it wasn't humor. Again:

Old 01-24-2023, 10:11 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Most Alaska Natives are quite friendly and respectful, unless one gets on their wrong side, but who wouldn't? There is a great number of AK Natives in and around Fairbanks. My two sons have had several Native HS friends. They visit each other all the time. An Athabaskan student who worked with me for a couple of years still texts me to say hello (we text each other), and when I met him for the first time he teased me to death for a few weeks, until I realized that he was not trying to make me upset, just that he loved to joke and laugh. That was about ten years ago. Everything changed once I starting joking back with him
We used to play against a team from the reservation in basketball. They were very mean. They would kick, scratch, and sometimes bite us. We hated when we had to play a game against them.

The Miccosukee tribe that we lived in the Everglades with, (they were just down the road from us), would talk to 1 guy where we worked and lived. They would not talk to anyone else. Another co-worker talked about taking a John boat out on a canal on the other side of the trail, and kept asking in a loud voice why they wouldn't talk to him or anyone else. That was before I ever got there, but they seriously will not talk to most white people unless they are selling something to white people. As for white females, one of the natives got into a wreck right outside where we worked. A female worker ran over to them and the guy in the truck refused to speak to her. He kept turning his head away. A male co-worker ran over, and the guy talked to him.

So, even though some people are levitating above the rest of us, the fact is, not all tribes act the same. For example, the Seminole tribe doesn't act like the Miccosukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks