Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 10:25 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,513,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
As if Wed 10/11, 15:00hr, weather in Eugene is forecasted as partially sunny, no rain between 8-1100hrs.
That's encouraging. There's always the hope for a clear patch in the east, especially since weather usually comes in from the west. Moreover, unlike with a total, haze or thin clouds can result in dramatic effects with a partial or annular eclipse.

I took this during the annular eclipse of 5/20/2012, only partial where I was. Herev it was near the maximum of ~71% obscuration.

https://flic.kr/p/c2F6r7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 11:42 AM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Nice pix.
Weather looks better and better for 8-11am
I'm booked for hotel room. BIG price jump for the weekend. Rooms are scarce.
Where do you think is a good location for viewing? Friday afternoon, will scout out UW, Eugene Science Center and then head up to Lane Community College.
BTW, I was a resident of OR for 65 years.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Nice pix.
Weather looks better and better for 8-11am
I'm booked for hotel room. BIG price jump for the weekend. Rooms are scarce. Where do you think is a good location for viewing? Friday afternoon, will scout out UW, Eugene Science Center and then head up to Lane Community College.
BTW, I was a resident of OR for 65 years.
Another astronomical bummer. I feel bad for you that you made the effort to come down, plus having to pay surge rates for your room. Heck, even the cost of gas hurts these days.

This was the best I got today, a few minutes before annularity.

Old 10-14-2023, 08:54 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Appreciate your sympathy. We take our chances with rain and clouds. Keeps us green.
About what I saw from pedestrian bridge to Autzen.

Excellent hotel and great free breakfast.
After eclipse, biked a little around Eugene. The tasted your food trucks. Freddy on 11th was welcoming with a in-store beer -wine counter. Watched 3/5 of UO vs UW game. Did a 1/2 flight of beers (also got tunnelling vision), salami on bolillos rolls, endless supply of pull dated like corn chips and mini pretzels. Lots of regulars. Counter people very nice (FM prohibits gratuities). UO and Eugene is much different from the beginning of the "Age of Aquarius".
Comfortable acceptable Cascade train.
YMMV

Old 10-16-2023, 09:15 PM

I understand some people around here got a full, if hazy view of the eclipse. In a region like this that's just the way the dice roll. There was no way of knowing beforehand that visibility will be better at Skinner Butte than in Bethel beforehand. I also missed 2017 basically by being in the wrong locale within the same wider metro area

But hey, I found something that really helps me get past all these dashed hopes and once-in-a-lifetime chances gone pear shaped, and I have to share it.

It's called 'wine' and it's just awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area