Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 02:10 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
To me, Algebra would be one of the crap classes.
Seriously.
Algebra is taught in the ninth grade here... there is NO WAY it should be a college course!
There's a difference between Intro to Algebra in high school and college Algebra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 03:14 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Then the schools around here teach algebra and not intro to Algebra

Both my husband and I went into college (different schools and different majors) taking Calculus as a freshmen, as did all the other science majors.
My son fulfilled his math requirement by taking AP Calc in HS and getting a 5.
My daughter went right into Calc 2 as a freshman with her AP Calc 5.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Then the schools around here teach algebra and not intro to Algebra

Both my husband and I went into college (different schools and different majors) taking Calculus as a freshmen, as did all the other science majors.
My son fulfilled his math requirement by taking AP Calc in HS and getting a 5.
My daughter went right into Calc 2 as a freshman with her AP Calc 5
Those would all be outliers. You had one detail for you and your husband, "Science majors".
Math pathways for various majors at UMBC:
https://aetp.umbc.edu/wp-content/upl...-Update-vF.pdf

Old 03-06-2024, 03:33 PM

:::shrug:::
None of us knew what we would major in when we took ninth grade algebra.

Having to take algebra in college is a head-shaker to me, yet alone not being able to pass it the first time.
You should have geometry, and trig, and at least pre-calculus if not AP calc, under your belt by the time you hit college.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Having to take algebra in college is a head-shaker to me, yet alone not being able to pass it the first time.
You should have geometry, and trig, and at least pre-calculus if not AP calc, under your belt by the time you hit college.
Why?

In most school systems the only way you get to Calc senior year is having AlgI in 8th Grade. AlgI in 9th gets you to Pre-Calc by 12th. I'm assuming Pre-Calc is a pre req for Calc (which it is in many school systems).

Old 03-06-2024, 03:59 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
To me, Algebra would be one of the crap classes.
Seriously.
Algebra is taught in the ninth grade here... there is NO WAY it should be a college course!
Still required in college.

Old 03-06-2024, 04:22 PM

Required?
Nah.
A minimum of one or two math courses were required, yes. Depended on your major. And you could have that waived with a great AP score.
But stooping down to algebra was not a requirement.

Old 03-06-2024, 04:28 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wait a minute. You went to college in retirement to pick up a teaching certificate or degree? Didn't you already have a BA from earlier in life? If so, your gen-ed courses from back then would apply toward the new BA, so all you should have had to take were the specialized courses, those 70 credits, or thereabouts. Who was advising you? Did you see an academic adviser?
Many schools have a window in which coursework must be completed to obtain an undergrad degree, commonly within seven years star-to-finish (and five years for a masters degree).

Old 03-06-2024, 09:28 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Those would all be outliers. You had one detail for you and your husband, "Science majors".
Math pathways for various majors at UMBC:
https://aetp.umbc.edu/wp-content/upl...-Update-vF.pdf
The list shown in the link indicates that those math courses such as "college algebra" are basically remedial courses that don't count towards the math requirement.

Does NOT fulfill a GEP requirement for any major but prepares you to take a GEP math course.

Quote:

Agree that should be the path. My high school didn't offer calc so my first semester I was in a calc course where most of the kids had at least pre calc and often calc 1 in high school. That first semester was playing catch up pretty fast. Fortunately, when my kids hit college, they'd already had algebra in 8th grade so they could finish AP calc by senior year. Much better prep than I had.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The list shown in the link indicates that those math courses such as "college algebra" are basically remedial courses that don't count towards the math requirement.

Does NOT fulfill a GEP requirement for any major but prepares you to take a GEP math course.

Third column. If you see, there's a notation that it may the only math required for some majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education