Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 06:57 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

It seems that more and more schools are going to 4 day weeks. I know teachers are not babysitters, but with the overall lack of child care, it makes things difficult for parents. When my ex ran a day care, she could not afford extra kids only one day a week. Our state requires a license and it meant we needed a certain number of adults per child and a certain number of square feet. Just could not afford to add them both for a few kids one day a week. Just no profit in it.
There are becoming more and more latchkey kids, some entirely too young to be home alone. These days in most situations, both parents need to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 06:59 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Where is this happening?
Nothing like that anywhere near me.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:01 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Where is this happening?
Nothing like that anywhere near me.
Primarily in the Midwest and Mountain states. In some cases it's due to a lack of staff, in others a lack of students.

Advocates say that the financial savings are enormous.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Primarily in the Midwest and Mountain states. In some cases it's due to a lack of staff, in others a lack of students.

Advocates say that the financial savings are enormous.
Savings to the schools are enormous, it is very expensive for the parents. And just think how many more kids are wandering the streets. Bus drivers are quitting because unlike teachers, they get paid by the hour. This costs them a fifth of their income.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Savings to the schools are enormous, it is very expensive for the parents. And just think how many more kids are wandering the streets.
I've never figured out how "enormous" the savings would be by cutting one day week.

You'd save some on transportation and utilities but you'd likely have to increase salaries to compensate for the longer school day as well as running utilities longer.

As far as expensive for parents, school isn't daycare even if people treat it as such. Kids wandering the streets devolves to the parents and their control.

We would have parents drop their kids off on in-service school closed for students days, many time before anyone was even at the school so they wouldn't be caught. I was one of the first teachers to arrive and would often find kids sitting on the curb waiting for the doors to be unlocked. That would also happen on weather closing days.

Why? As more than one parent told me they couldn't trust their high school student to be alone at their house. Somehow that becomes a school problem.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I've never figured out how "enormous" the savings would be by cutting one day week.

You'd save some on transportation and utilities but you'd likely have to increase salaries to compensate for the longer school day as well as running utilities longer.

As far as expensive for parents, school isn't daycare even if people treat it as such. Kids wandering the streets devolves to the parents and their control.

We would have parents drop their kids off on in-service school closed for students days, many time before anyone was even at the school so they wouldn't be caught. I was one of the first teachers to arrive and would often find kids sitting on the curb waiting for the doors to be unlocked. That would also happen on weather closing days.

Why? As more than one parent told me they couldn't trust their high school student to be alone at their house. Somehow that becomes a school problem.
Many parents cannot find child care for one day a week even if they could afford it. As bad as the education is that students get now, why try to cram it into 4 days? American students already have substandard performance on most tests.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Many parents cannot find child care for one day a week even if they could afford it. As bad as the education is that students get now, why try to cram it into 4 days? American students already have substandard performance on most tests.
Once again you start out by arguing a child care angle. What do they do when school lets out and they're not home from work (or the bar) when their kid gets home?

I'm not an advocate at all for a four day week and believe many of the benefits are overstated.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:38 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Just what America's youth need- more time not in school.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Once again you start out by arguing a child care angle. What do they do when school lets out and they're not home from work (or the bar) when their kid gets home?

I'm not an advocate at all for a four day week and believe many of the benefits are overstated.
Many places have after school programs and the kids that are alone after school, it is only for a short time. Most kids around here get home from school around 4 and most parents get off around 5. Put those young kids home all day alone and see how that works out.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:49 PM

50,761 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Many places have after school programs and the kids that are alone after school, it is only for a short time. Most kids around here get home from school around 4 and most parents get off around 5. Put those young kids home all day alone and see how that works out.
We don't have to look far. Just look to poor neighborhoods where many, if not most, parents are working two jobs and are not home Saturdays and often not Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education