Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 06:52 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Some of this makes me think of things I've heard about the McCarthy period.

The Fight Over Academic Freedom
Amid spiraling campus speech debates, many professors are rallying in defense of a bedrock principle. But can they agree on just what it means?

Academic freedom is a bedrock of the modern American university. And lately, it seems to be coming under fire from all directions.
But at some elite private campuses, faculty have increasingly begun organizing against a very different threat.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/16/a...versities.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 07:28 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Story is behind a pay wall.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
In higher education, academic freedom is only a concept that really applies to tenured faculty. No one else has a whiff of it and non-tenured faculty can and to get dismissed for the slightest mis-step. https://apnews.com/article/education...019b4ba669bfe5

Colleges and universities around the country have been clawing back on tenure right and left. And at many colleges, most of the teaching is actually being done by non-tenured low-paid adjuncts. Who typically make far less and have less job security than ordinary K-12 teachers.

Here is a gift link if anyone wants to go read the NYT article who doesn't have a subscription: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/16/a...smid=url-share

There is nothing really new here. I don't think colleges are using adjuncts specifically to curtail academic freedom. They are doing it so they can hire a much cheaper and more malleable work force that they can hire and dismiss at will. And because it diminishes the power of faculty if less of them are tenured permanent professors. The loss of academic freedom is just a convenient byproduct.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:31 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
It's good to know that, despite the de rigueur opening salvo against Gov. DeSantis in Florida, even Left Wingers are starting to notice.

Quote:
...even some liberal scholars argue that a prevailing progressive orthodoxy has created a climate of self-censorship and fear that stifles open inquiry.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:47 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Story is behind a pay wall.
It's quite a complex topic, as it turns out. Here are the opening paragraphs:
Quote:
For many scholars, the biggest danger is at public universities in Republican-controlled states like Florida, where Gov. Ron DeSantis has led the passage of laws that restrict what can be taught and spearheaded efforts to reshape whole institutions. But at some elite private campuses, faculty have increasingly begun organizing against a very different threat.

Over the past year, faculty groups dedicated to academic freedom have sprung up at Harvard, Yale and Columbia, where even some liberal scholars argue that a prevailing progressive orthodoxy has created a climate of self-censorship and fear that stifles open inquiry.

The fallout from the Hamas-led Oct. 7 attack on Israel has upended many campuses, as college presidents have been ousted, campus protest has been restricted and alumni, donors and politicians have pushed for greater control. And it has also scrambled the politics of academic freedom itself.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:30 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's good to know that, despite the de rigueur opening salvo against Gov. DeSantis in Florida, even Left Wingers are starting to notice.
Yes, and it bothers me.

Of course it also bothers me that you call us "left wingers".

But I do think it's understandable. One side (whichever side) becomes outspoken about something, but expects the other side to just play nice. And this is exactly what this controversy is about. It's not a new idea -- for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. And that works in education, too.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:37 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I think we need too be clear the issue isn't actually academic freedom. Rather it seems to be using the term "academic freedom" to disguise political activism while on the job. I see a big difference discussing, in an academic setting, controversial topics vs espousing a political position in a nonacademic setting using the official position within the university, and then hiding behind "academic freedom" to avoid responsibility.

That's actually normal for most jobs. Most people working know they cannot use official time and their official position to take a political position on anything. It's in many employment contracts. As a public employee I always had to make it very clear that I was speaking for myself and not my employer.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:42 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think we need too be clear the issue isn't actually academic freedom. Rather it seems to be using the term "academic freedom" to disguise political activism while on the job. I see a big difference discussing, in an academic setting, controversial topics vs espousing a political position in a nonacademic setting using the official position within the university, and then hiding behind "academic freedom" to avoid responsibility.

That's actually normal for most jobs. Most people working know they cannot use official time and their official position to take a political position on anything. It's in many employment contracts. As a public employee I always had to make it very clear that I was speaking for myself and not my employer.
Excellent post. What bothers me is how what you stated isn't obvious to so many people.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:16 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
IMHO, true Academic Freedom and Free Speech are incompatible with Safe Spaces if Safe Spaces are designed to shield members from disturbing speech.

"The debate surrounding a “clash” between safe spaces and free speech on campus, concerns itself with the idea that the university itself must be a safe space for all. As this is directly at odds with the raison d'être of the academy as the meeting point of rigorous disagreement, it is clear that universities are suffering from their own identity crisis, aided and abetted by the portrayal of such clashes on social media."

https://theconversation.com/why-safe...e-speech-94547

Old 03-04-2024, 12:39 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, and it bothers me.

Of course it also bothers me that you call us "left wingers".

But I do think it's understandable. One side (whichever side) becomes outspoken about something, but expects the other side to just play nice. And this is exactly what this controversy is about. It's not a new idea -- for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. And that works in education, too.
No offense; I'm just being pithy. In life there are Left Wingers and Right Wingers, and some who insist they are "socially liberal but fiscally conservative", "spiritual but not religious" -- whatever; they're not usually good for a lively discussion.

If you are confident in your freedom of speech it shouldn't matter if you are on the left or the right. But increasingly, people are not confident in their freedom of speech. October 7 and its aftermath are making some people squirm who weren't squirming on October 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education