Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2024, 03:40 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,243,348 times

Advertisements

Who’s watching? It’s on Fox Sports 1 tonight, Monday May 13th and tomorrow the 14th, with conformation judging. Starts at 7:30, with pre-game at 7 each night.

Will a golden win this year? I can dream. Word is that the chihuahua goes Best In Show this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:31 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,616,342 times
I watched and also rewatched, and enjoyed the show very much.

I would have liked to see a Golden Retriever win, or another of the 165 AKC breeds who have never won BIS at Westminster. But it's not about what I want or like, it's the judge's interpretation of individual breed standards of dogs examined and watched on the day of the show (or, in the case of Westminster, one of two days of the show).

I am glad that Kaz Hosaka retired with the second Westminster BIS on a female dog he not only handled, but co-bred. Surrey Sage also happens to be a great-granddaughter of Surrey Spice Girl, another Miniature Poodle who Mr. Hosaka (as I remember) also co-bred. Best of all, at least from Surrey's estimated POV, is that (in the words of Mr. Hosaka), she will now retire along with him and be allowed to run around in the rain and be a real dog.

Kaz Hosaka started out as a young show dog handler in Japan. When Anne Rogers Clark, a top show dog handler and judge (the first female professional handler to take a dog to Best in Show at Westminster) and her husband James Edward Clark went to Japan to judge one or more dog shows, they noticed the young Hosaka and felt he had a good hand with a dog. Hosaka came to the U.S. as the Clarks' protege and eventual Poodle breeding partner to Mrs. Clark, apparently remaining close to her until her death in 2006.

I remember watching Surrey Spice Girl win BIS at Westminster in 2002. She was perfectly coiffed and had a well-proportioned body and graceful movement. She also seemed rather bored, gaiting and standing with mechanical precision. Her great-granddaughter was more animated, and moved with pizzazz as well as authority. I also noticed that she seemed to have a closer, more tactile relationship with Mr. Hosaka; possibly because the latter knew that Westminster 2024 would not only be their last show together but his last show as well.

I wish them both wonderful retirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs