Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 08:24 AM

4,541 posts, read 3,764,965 times

Advertisements

Just this morning there was another large dog poop on the corner of our property hidden by a stand of trees and from our view. We clean up after our dog always, even going back if we forgot to refill the poo bags.

We saw a couple let their dog poop in our yard last year and walk off, never attempting to pick it up. Foolishly but quite satisfyingly, DH picked it up in a bag and caught up with them and handed them the bag. We’ve never seen them again. . Most of the time we are left cleaning up anonymous dogs messes.

I finally gave in and ordered a sign to stick in the ground on the corner. It reads:
“If your dog poops here leave your address so my dog can poop in your yard. “

I expect this will not deter the type of people who don’t pick up after their dogs, but it may help those who still have a little conscience left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 10:08 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,462,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No, actually, it is very easy to control your dog and prevent scent marking while on walks. And if the dog needs to poop away from home, carry some poop bags with you and scoop the poop up and get it into a garbage can, preferably your own garbage can
I've always been of the opinion that if it's the "natural environment," I'll let the dog pee on it. Trees, bushes, etc, fair game. Tires, coolers, lawn furniture? No.

People should pick up after their dogs, no argument there.

But if one doesn't want dogs to urinate on a public right of way, or areas immediately adjacent to the public ROW, they need to put up a fence, or move somewhere like a condo.

"My kids play there." And? It's urine, its mostly sterile, and kids aren't dropping dead or being hospitalized after playing in the grass.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
On Nextdoor, somebody once suggested that people with a dog have their dog relieve itself on the owner's property first, then take it for a walk. Is there a reason dog owners can't do that?
Yes, lots of reasons. Mainly, that it doesn't work like that. exercise often gets the plumbing moving. Even if I see my dog urinate and defecate in my yard before departing on our walk, he's likely to do both again on the walk. And part of the purpose of the walk is to get them to "clean out" their pipes.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:40 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,062,082 times
when you buy a Ring camera, or other doorbell cam
you'll see that some neighbors walk their dog 3 times a day.

I just want to object to the phrase "dog's toilet" as a bad analogy, because in 99.99% of cases, a dog could never use a toilet.
Perhaps a "dog's latrine"?

Old 05-02-2022, 11:11 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,337,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've always been of the opinion that if it's the "natural environment," I'll let the dog pee on it. Trees, bushes, etc, fair game. Tires, coolers, lawn furniture? No.

People should pick up after their dogs, no argument there.

But if one doesn't want dogs to urinate on a public right of way, or areas immediately adjacent to the public ROW, they need to put up a fence, or move somewhere like a condo.

"My kids play there." And? It's urine, its mostly sterile, and kids aren't dropping dead or being hospitalized after playing in the grass.
Kids can get Sick From Urine... https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...%20Convulsions

From stools Kids Can pick up Worms Round & Hook! https://www.bing.com/search?q=lister...ANAB01&PC=W051

Stop B*tching & Clean up after your pet!

Old 05-02-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Kids can get Sick From Urine... https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...%20Convulsions

From stools Kids Can pick up Worms Round & Hook! https://www.bing.com/search?q=lister...ANAB01&PC=W051

Stop B*tching & Clean up after your pet!
"Can get sick from" isn't the same from a clear and present risk.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:48 PM

11,134 posts, read 7,191,653 times
The distinction here - typically ignored by many dog owners, out of laziness and/or irresponsibility - is that there is a difference between wild animals, and domesticated animals fed and looked after by people.

1) Wild animals are left alone, to defecate wherever they will or want. Nothing new or unusual there.

2) Domesticated animals are the responsibility of their owners. Just as they need to be vaccinated, kept under leash and control, etc. they are the responsibility of their human owners / caretakers.

The lazy / irresponsible dog owner tries to use case 1) for 2).

An analogy would be saying that cars are able to go anywhere (roads, trails, fields, etc.), and that if one ends up in someone's yard, it was just the car being a car.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-02-2022 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 06:32 AM

5,532 posts, read 7,124,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

I finally gave in and ordered a sign to stick in the ground on the corner. It reads:
“If your dog poops here leave your address so my dog can poop in your yard. “
I bought the same sign on Amazon. It does work actually, people get a chuckle out of it.

One thing I want to throw out there is when you pick up your dog poo don't throw the bag in somebody's garbage pail. Take it home and throw it out in your pail.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:50 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,576,439 times
Only female pee is bad for grass. Regardless I don’t let my dogs go in people’s yards and if they poop I pick it up.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I bought the same sign on Amazon. It does work actually, people get a chuckle out of it.

One thing I want to throw out there is when you pick up your dog poo don't throw the bag in somebody's garbage pail. Take it home and throw it out in your pail.
I've always been of the opinion that if you can't be bothered to take your garbage bins up then you aren't really going to care. And if the garbage is full awaiting the truck, who cares? If the bins are empty on garbage day, poor form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs