Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 06:53 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times

Advertisements

If your only criteria is "lose a lot of weight fast" then stop eating. Completely. Just don't eat. Starve. You'll be dead, but you'll be dead at a much lower weight.

If your criteria is to be healthy, and weigh whatever is healthiest for you, then eat healthier foods, in healthier proportions, get exercise, breathe fresh air, and do all the other things that are healthy for people to do. The weight will come off as a result of getting healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 11:32 AM

716 posts, read 556,863 times
1200 calories is way too low for a male.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:13 PM

732 posts, read 406,849 times
I believe, you must find the diet that works and is sustainable.

I try to stay under 2500 calories a day. Its low carb, low dairy and low anything that generates acid reflux (its severe for me)...The prior poster about pizza and beer would have killed me too. I exercise ALOT, its been that way all my life. All that together, the pounds fell off for me with no major sustainment issues.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:21 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
I believe, you must find the diet that works and is sustainable.
I agree. But moreso, I really think that the two aspects need too be addressed separately and sequentially;
both in outlook but also regarding the management of the transitions between.
I've lost track of the progress you are referring to so won't comment
except to say that it sounds like it is itself a sustainment diet (deliberate but into an already healthy weight person).

Back to the rest of the world and the topic Q's though ...these can ONLY come after actually losing weight LOSS diet worked.
The exercise element especially.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I agree. But moreso, I really think that the two aspects need too be addressed separately and sequentially;
both in outlook but also regarding the management of the transitions between.
I've lost track of the progress you are referring to so won't comment
except to say that it sounds like it is itself a sustainment diet (deliberate but into an already healthy weight person).

Back to the rest of the world and the topic Q's though ...these can ONLY come after actually losing weight LOSS diet worked.
The exercise element especially.
Anyone capable of movement is capable of exercise. Exercise is important to everyone, whether they need to lose weight or not. Exercise isn't something that can "ONLY come after actually losing weight LOSS diet worked" I realize English might not be your first language so I'm not making fun of your sentence, I'm just quoting you verbatim because I'm not sure what your sentence would've looked like it if had been posted correctly.

Exercise can burn calories, but not enough to rely on exclusively without regard to eating habits if you're trying to lose weight.

But if you're trying to get HEALTHY and want the weight to come off as a result of being more healthy, then exercise is a crucial component of the process.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
But if you're trying to get HEALTHY and want the weight to come off as a result of being more healthy,
then exercise is a crucial component of the process.
Perhaps you forgot to read the title of the FORUM these points are raised in.
Perhaps that is about your reading comprehension that context isn't considered.
Perhaps it's just that you can't accept that life is about the gray; not the B&W simplicities
(balance of inane platitudes and insults ignored)

Old 01-13-2024, 01:13 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I've been rigidly counting calories and dropped 10 lbs doing that. Then things got stuck. Some days it even creeped up a little. My daily calorie goal is 1200 calories, and it occasionally hits 1300. Other times 1150. But this calorie counting scheme has me hungry mostly all the time. If I'm busy, no problem. Being active either mentally or physically works well, sitting around is when I'm always hungry.

A week ago I got sick of how this weight loss had stopped working and how I was always hungry, and went to skipping breakfast and delayed eating my first meal until 1-2 PM. Now a little weight comes off every day and I'm not even hungry until that 1-2 PM. It also feels like I'm getting plenty of food this way. Even though I may still be hungry after I finished that first meal, I get to splurge and snack a little because I'm only eating for the rest of my waking time, which is now only 8-10 hours instead of all day long.

Unfortunately I've eaten like that since child hood as I never liked breakfast and it does nothing for me weight wise. I am also at 1200 per day. Going to have to drop to 1100 or less. Not really sure why people make it so complicated - it isn't. If you don't eat junk food you get tons of food.

A lot of this thread is nonsense of course I already exercise and get fresh air and all that. I am already at normal BMI and always have been - just trying to drop to a lower normal - mostly so the old clothes in my closet fit again and I don't have to replace them. 10 lbs should do it.

Last edited by ihatetodust; 01-13-2024 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-14-2024, 07:48 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
1200 calories is way too low for a male.
No, it's not. Not for someone trying to lose weight. It is too low for someone trying to maintain weight.

But any lower than 1200 calories daily and one's body reacts by lowering its metabolic rate, defeating any attempt at weight loss.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Perhaps you forgot to read the title of the FORUM these points are raised in.
Perhaps that is about your reading comprehension that context isn't considered.
Perhaps it's just that you can't accept that life is about the gray; not the B&W simplicities
(balance of inane platitudes and insults ignored)
You have stated my point exactly. Life is about the gray, not the B&W simplicities. That's why - if you want to go simplistic - and your only criteria is "lose weight fast" then the most efficient solution is to stop eating.

If you want to delve into the gray, then you'll accept that "lose weight fast" should not be anyone's only criteria, and not necessarily even the main criteria. Being healthy should be #1. Weight loss is most often the result of making healthier choices in diet and exercise.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You have stated my point exactly. Life is about the gray, not the B&W simplicities.
I'm happy to see you go that far.
Quote:
...and your only criteria is "lose weight fast" then ...
hmmm... but that is NOT being asserted is it?

You seem to need to snake around the tougher points. So maybe it's just the selective reading?
Try again. It's all in the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss