Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 08:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Many doctors on the internet are there because they know they can make more money selling books, supplements, and youtube channel subscriptions than they can being actual doctors. OR - they were actual doctors and had their credentials pulled. Or, they never had credentials in the first place, and they know people will buy whatever fables they make up if they present it right.

My doctor told me my cholesterol is a little high, but expected for a woman my age (I'm 62), and if I reduce my carb intake and don't gain weight, I should be fine. My triglycerides are inconsistent. Sometimes they're a little high, but usually they're right in the middle of the "normal" window.

The doctor also said if I didn't reduce my carb intake, gained weight, and my cholesterol continued to go up, he'd need to put me on a statin. So - I'm trying. Eating more salads, less bread, fewer fried foods, more baked proteins and raw or steamed vegetables with more seasoning and less sauce.

We'll see how it goes when I get my next physical.
Almost every doctor I watch online is also suggesting to reduce carbs, just like your doctor recommended. That advice has been out there a very long time. Best of luck to you. It's not hard at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 11:16 AM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
I will never take a statin. Fortunately for me I don't need one (yet) so it has not been an issue.

Check out the NNT (number needed to treat) to prevent one event. . . (google it).

Old 09-16-2023, 11:47 AM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Getting a heart scan is probably a good idea. Getting insurance to pay may be difficult.
As many has said upthread, reduce the carbs.

I had a small heart infarction. Minor left shoulder achiness, chest pain like some gave me moderate punch to the chest, and metallic taste (a non symptom by the docs, but IMO indicative of release of iron into the blood). I didn't know it for a few years. Only discovered the incident when the cardiologist did an EKG and saw something suspicious. Had a stent at scan. Watching another vessel which is ~75% blocked. Underlying visit to cardiologist was consistently very high triglycerides (2000) and high BP. BMI=26. Currently BMI=26, but cut off a lot of carbos and increased proteins and fat (if spouse doesn't see me).

Statins and some fibrate drugs give me severe muscle problems. Took me 2 years to figure that out. Doctors ignored issue since the literature, at that time said muscle incidence is "rare", which isn't true.
YHMV

Old 09-16-2023, 07:31 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
My cholesterol has always been borderline. Recent bloodwork showed my LDL at 146. Total cholesterol was 230. Triglycerides 153. All other levels were within norms. My diet is pretty solid and I workout regularly. Doc suggested 10mg Lipitor. Thoughts?
I take Rosuvastatin.

The problem as I see it is the triglycerides. 153 is too high.
Mine used to be 90, 2 years ago. Now it is 64. The difference is, I switched to a high protein diet. I'm talking MEAT. Pork, beef, fish - some kind of meat with every meal. Sometimes, like for breakfast, no carbs at all.
No bread. Ever. Rice, potatoes, pasta - never. No salads. Mostly just meat and vegetables. Hardly any fruit.

Works for me.
Cholestrol 134 - that's down from 180.

Ans to your question... I'd take it.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I take Rosuvastatin.

Mine used to be 90, 2 years ago. Now it is 64. The difference is, I switched to a high protein diet. I'm talking MEAT. Pork, beef, fish - some kind of meat with every meal. Sometimes, like for breakfast, no carbs at all.
No bread. Ever. Rice, potatoes, pasta - never. No salads. Mostly just meat and vegetables. Hardly any fruit.

Works for me.

Why no salads? Aren't the ingredients for salads -- vegetables? Salads are an easy way to get most of the required 9 servings of fruit and veggies per day, in one meal. Also a good way of getting healthy oils to help counter the higher LDL. Although I saw a video on youtube that was an interview with a doctor in his 70's, who said LDL in the 140 range wasn't anything to worry about.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:01 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
FYI,
you can get your own Lipid Panel Test by self-pay @$59 at most laboratories. I get mine at the same lab as the doctor's order test. By getting own tests, you can monitor the results of your diet but don't rely on just one test result.

Old 09-17-2023, 11:26 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
I take Rosuvastatin.

Works for me.

Weird thing is if I look at the trend, I've had 3 tests done over the past couple of years and my triglycerides have gone from 178 to 69 to 153 so I have to wonder why there are such wild swings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
FYI,
you can get your own Lipid Panel Test by self-pay @$59 at most laboratories. I get mine at the same lab as the doctor's order test. By getting own tests, you can monitor the results of your diet but don't rely on just one test result.
probably a good idea, but I'd prefer to use a different lab so I can get a view from a lab that hopefully is not trying to sell me lifelong prescriptions.

So far I have passed on taking statins.

Old 09-17-2023, 12:31 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Through the years my cholesterol has been high and low. I would never take statins as most of the studies only show benefits for men with previous heart attacks. I have seen what happens to people’s memories once they use them and it’s bad.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:24 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why no salads? Aren't the ingredients for salads -- vegetables? Salads are an easy way to get most of the required 9 servings of fruit and veggies per day, in one meal. Also a good way of getting healthy oils to help counter the higher LDL. Although I saw a video on youtube that was an interview with a doctor in his 70's, who said LDL in the 140 range wasn't anything to worry about.
I don't like them. Without being doused in manufactured oils they are tasteless. And I don't eat those oils.

I don't buy the "fruits and vegetables are necessary" idea. I do eat vegetables, but I'm a little choosy. Almost never eat fruits. Turnip greens and black eyed peas for lunch today, along with chicken.

It's just the way I like to eat, is all. Nothing processed, almost everything on my plate is single ingredient.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:41 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Quote:
I take Rosuvastatin.

Works for me.

My triglycerides were 74 and I eat plenty of carbs. I hate meat. The texture is just gross.

Might even be improved by next time since I get more exercise these days but IDK. Don't care much either.

I am of the opinion you can only so so much and genetics is going to take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss