Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 02:29 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That'd be horrible for me, to include gross artery-clogging items like eggs and bacon, and not enough veggies, and no tortillas or French bread. Seems extreme. I like 40% veggies, 30% meat, 20% carbs, and 10% fruit!
I'm also big on my fruits and salads (I also love bacon and eggs). However, the more studies that come in, the more evidence that dietary cholesterol has very little impact on your serum cholesterol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 09:04 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That'd be horrible for me, to include gross artery-clogging items like eggs and bacon, and not enough veggies, and no tortillas or French bread. Seems extreme. I like 40% veggies, 30% meat, 20% carbs, and 10% fruit!
The calories from fruit and veggies are from carbs, so you're eating 70% carbs and 30% protein/fat.

Pretty close to the ratios of the Standard American Diet, but veggies are a better choice than, say, french fries. Unless you count potatoes as veggies...

Old 08-01-2023, 03:41 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Ghaati ……with Wiki, which is one of my best resources…
Please don’t advise that: wiki is fraught with wrong and sometimes even malicious and harmful information.

There are better sources.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:44 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Please don’t advise that: wiki is fraught with wrong and sometimes even malicious and harmful information.

There are better sources.
Yeah, like YouTube!

Old 08-13-2023, 09:03 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
L00k4wrd - Thanks! how about sharing what some of those "other resources" are to Wikipedia?

Old 08-14-2023, 01:35 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Listener2307 - you're right. Vegetable oils like soybean oil, sunflower oil, canola oil have been listed as a cause of macular degeneration (of the eyes). So I've been using only a high grade Extra Virgin Olive oil or EVOO to make homemade salad dressings.

I cringe every time I read the labels of those soybean oil and canola oil salad dressings. Was hoping to find a dressing that only used EVOO, but they don't exist at the regular grocery store. I make a good Caesar dressing with my stick blender. Use it like a mayonnaise mixed with dijon mustard on my lettuce-wrapped "sandwiches" - or hamburgers - I eat for breakfast or dinner.

I crave those lettuce wrapped concoctions that are healthier, for me, than regular sandwiches made with gluten bread, which my body can't tolerate (i.e. the gluten). Favorite is lettuce-wrapped bacon and tomato with the plain Caesar dressing that doubles as mayo. Actually, I make 4 smaller "sandwiches" using leaf lettuce, iceberg lettuce, Romaine, or sometimes even Butter Lettuce. Beats having my body talking back to me about the bread that cause severe fire-y heartburn at times. The tomato provides a high amount of potassium.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:17 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
1. Jason Fung is a quack.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jason_Fung

2. There is no "cure" for diabetes, because there is no singular "cause" of diabetes. Obesity is the most common cause of diabetes type 2 - and the "cure" for that, if that is the cause, is to - not be obese.
OP, I'm sorry, but I have to agree with this. I gave J Fung's book to a friend with diabetes who was also in Stage 3 kidney failure (as a result of the diabetes), and the patient's doctors, including a nephrologist, wouldn't allow him to do the diet. The patient's kidneys weren't able to handle much of any protein at all. A low carb diet focusing on protein is too hard on the kidneys.

Secondly, I did the IF diet myself, and it threw my metabolic hormones way out of balance! This is not a strategy for diabetics! It exacerbates pre-diabetes by causing huge insulin surges when the fasting period ends each day, and the mealtime window begins.

I watched his videos, and in them he denies any concern about hypoglycemia during the long fasting period. I've talked to health care providers who have done the diet, and they acknowledge, that hypoglycemia can be an issue, but they've found a work-around for it. Fung has no work-around to propose; he just denies it's a problem.

I agree there is no cure for diabetes; there's only lifelong meal management to avoid the worst of it.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Listener2307 - you're right. Vegetable oils like soybean oil, sunflower oil, canola oil have been listed as a cause of macular degeneration (of the eyes).
I haven't heard this from any opticians or opthalmologists. I've known people who had macular degeneration, and they were never told this. Where does this info come from?

Old 08-14-2023, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Me.... Lose the yogurt and raspberries for breakfast; find more protein for lunch, eat a bigger pork chop for dinner.

See post above.
OP said full fat Greek yogurt. The right brand of Greek yogurt is high protein, and very low carb. It has a place in the keto diet. OP is only having a small amount with one of the meals as a side dish. Yogurt is important as a source of calcium. While people are counting carbs, they need to make sure they're getting enough calcium.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:52 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I've been sending my body into ketosis for the past two days. Interestingly I woke up to no pain today. That's amazing. Mornings and actually all day had been getting worse and worse. The biggest culprit: sugar. Too much sugar, of the refined kind.

Giving up coffee, sugar, milk (cannot even look at cream without gaining weight), bread. The trick is to only gradually add those things back in, once in a while, as a treat. It does seem extreme because in our culture it is.

Disgusted with all the "sweeteners" out there. Even "Stevia in the Raw" has dextrose in it. I chose "Agave in the Raw" instead as it does not spike blood sugar too much. Everything else has erythritol in it, which is bad for kidney crystals (IC) and stones. I have IC so I cannot ingest erythritol at all.

Another thing I've done for the past two days is drink Good Earth's Lemon-Ginger-Turmeric tea with agave nectar - 1 tsp. It's recommended for people who have pain due to inflammation.

Mindset is everything. It took me 8 months to decide to do something about my diet (new year's resolution). Reading "Sugar Blues" will help with the mindset issue, though I haven't read it this time.

This is the first time in my life that I haven't had coffee withdrawal (flu-like symptoms, headache). The last time I gave up coffee was 2003 for 91 days. Took one sip and I was back at it. I actually think coffee has a lot of benefits, but I doctor mine up with stuff that causes inflammation and weight gain, so I can't drink it. I might try some coffee with agave nectar, but only one cup.

I've noticed the price on agave nectar has come down. It used to be a lot more expensive.

I guess what I'm doing is keto, which is the most appealing "diet" for my taste. I don't know how people do the carnivore diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss