Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:45 AM

3,326 posts, read 9,205,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Thank you. It's about time someone said that here.....Neuropathy is a diabetic complication that shows up later rather than earlier in the course of T2, and usually means lack of control for an extended period...Walkers/runners are more likely to suffer neuropathy from over-use, repetitive trauma to peripheral nerves &/or back problems.

Otoh-- exercise is an excellent way to prevent elevated BS from showing up in a genetically predisposed diabetic or to get them back down in a diabetic in poor control. ..A new pt once came to me (5'6"/220 lb) who was diagnosed with DM 2 yrs earlier, responded poorly to oral meds and started on Insulin. Of course he got fatter and BSs went even higher....I stopped the Insulin, started glucophage and prescribed a low carb diet. I told him exercise, like walking, would help....He came back after a month having lost about 10 lb and with an excellent BS.....He was walking 10 miles a day!!
This is true for most but I can trace my original neuropathy symptoms back to age 30. I was pulling imaginary wrinkles out of my socks back then. I wasn’t diagnosed diabetic until I was 43. My back issues didn’t appear until I was over 50. I spent decades keeping my A1C below 6 and healed the nerves as much as possible. Now, my back is causing my issues cause my last A1C was 5.5. And the neuropathy feels different this time. It’s no longer the pins and needles feeling or feeling like being bitten by fire ants. Now it’s like a blanket is over then being pulled tight. My PCP, and neurologist and neurosurgeon agree, it’s my spine causing it now.

I don’t use medication to handle the pain, I did go that route decades ago. But no longer need to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes