Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 02:23 AM

106,758 posts, read 108,973,015 times

Advertisements

i find trulicity once a week does what i need , no reason to play with supplements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 09:21 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,723,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
it goes toe to toe with metformin in trials. link below is meta analysis of berberine related trials
Berberine works. Yet, not all brands are the same and work differently for people. Some have success with brands that contain cinnamon while for others it's like taking nothing at all. Berberine has kept a lot of people from going on to pharmaceuticals. It takes more than simply using a pill to control glucose, though and diabetics know this (or should). It's also about what you eat and how often you eat. But I like Berberine. I like SugarLin better but that's a discussion for another thread.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:22 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,042,370 times
I started 500mg berberine daily 10 days ago and no negative reactions except possibly constipation, not sure it's the berber.
The therapeutic dose seems to be 1500 mg a day but I'll read more before doing that.
Next bloodwork is in Mar or April---would love to see pre-diabetes signals lower.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:43 PM

30,404 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I started 500mg berberine daily 10 days ago and no negative reactions except possibly constipation, not sure it's the berber.
The therapeutic dose seems to be 1500 mg a day but I'll read more before doing that.
Next bloodwork is in Mar or April---would love to see pre-diabetes signals lower.
I've been taking bereberine for over a year without any side effects. I've reversed my diabetes numbers to now being normal through a combination of diet, exercise, and regular bereberine.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:37 PM

547 posts, read 331,546 times
moringa is another popular blood sugar supplement

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32444043/

The effects of Moringa oleifera on blood glucose levels: A scoping review of the literature

Out of seven human studies, five found that M. oleifera significantly reduced blood glucose levels in diabetic patients. Out of twenty-three animal studies, twenty-one found that administration of M. oleifera led to a statistically significant decrease in animal blood glucose levels.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:39 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,192,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my endocrinologist who is head of endocrinology and diabetic treatment at one of long islands top tier hospitals wants me not on metformin or glimpride anymore .

research has been showing that the new GLP-1 shots are far superior to protecting against stroke and all the organs diabetes tends to attack .

there is not only bad side effects from the two drugs but it’s easy to go to low with glimpride if meal timing is poor .

so now i am on trulicity…..there are some side effects but no where near the issues metformin and glimpride seem to cause .

plus more and more research he said is showing that higher a1c numbers are more acceptable from the new shots which are providing so much protection to the organs
Thank you for sharing this. I should bring this up with my endocrinologist. Mine has me on metformin and glyburide in the am and only metformin in the evening if I don't eat a dinner but if I eat dinner in the evening then I take both.

Not one word has been said about metformin or Berberine.

Last edited by staystill; 04-12-2024 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: thank you

Old 04-26-2024, 06:23 AM

4,062 posts, read 2,143,873 times
I have been in the pre diabetic range for years and at 70, A1C hit 6.5. Started taking Berberine. Was doing fine with 1500 mg. Upped it to 2000, taking one at bedtime, thinking it would help my waking fasting blood sugar, but got intestinal issues like colon spasms so am stopping it for a while. Don’t know if it impacted the gut binome.

Old 04-26-2024, 05:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 728,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I have been in the pre diabetic range for years and at 70, A1C hit 6.5. Started taking Berberine. Was doing fine with 1500 mg. Upped it to 2000, taking one at bedtime, thinking it would help my waking fasting blood sugar, but got intestinal issues like colon spasms so am stopping it for a while. Don’t know if it impacted the gut binome.
I take Berberine before eating at about noon and before dinner. Never took it before bed but maybe you could cut that out and just continue taking during the day. If the night dose was the one that gave you trouble, I wouldn't stop it altogether because of that dose.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

7,273 posts, read 5,150,905 times
For those who like to self medicate so you can feel like you're in control, check out this pharm site. Note how many of the clinically important parameters list info "not available.". https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB04115

Testing unknown wild mushrooms by eating them in a trial & error experiment is probably not smart. Why would you try berberine in that manner?

Verbum sapienti sufficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes