Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 12:28 PM

506 posts, read 259,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
dietary cholesterol is a minor player in blood cholesterol levels. sugar is a major player. eating low glycemic diet lowers both. exercise is also a player. and then there's the most important thing of all -- gut microbiome health. it has a hand in just about everything.

the body is the most complex thing in the known universe. we have barely scratched the surface on understanding it. the more i study it the more in awe i become.
Thank you for your helpful insights.

My doctor discovered the high sugar levels before noticing the cholesterol levels, so I made changes to reduce the sugar. Then she said my cholesterol levels were high, and recommended drugs. I declined the drug treatment, and went to one egg a day and my cholesterol numbers came down. Now she and I are both happy with the numbers.

But in the process I realized that there was a trade-off. To reduce one thing might increase the other. I "think" I have found a happy medium.

But what I infer from what you are saying, which I agree with, is that the nutritional information provided with each product does not tell the whole story. It is helpful, but may not be sufficient.

I also wonder to what effect are the exercise and body chemistry differences. I exercise daily, don't drink alcohol, and I am lifelong ovo-lacto vegetarian. I can't help but think these things have an effect on how my body processes various foods, and that the body adapts to some extent to one's diet, as long as quantities are moderate.

Some people like spicy foods. My body would explode just thinking about eating something spicy. I figure my "system" is stable so I am not going to mess with it much. Besides, I really enjoy my current diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 12:16 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
... So what say you? Mainly about my doctor's advise to eat more frequent smaller meals?
I have no idea if either way.

I eat one meal a day.

Two years ago my A1C reached 7, and my doctor wanted me to start on an insulin pill. I refused and instead I chose to change my diet. I gave up wheat, rice and potatoes. Three months later my A1C was down to 5.

I also swim laps at our YMCA 3X a week.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:16 PM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
no such thing as an insulin pill .insulin is only via a shot .

there are all kinds of glucose lowering drugs but they are not insulin… one doesn’t replace the other …insulin is for when you are not just insulin resistant

Old 12-30-2023, 02:33 PM

There are pills that lead to insulin resistance.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:34 PM

but you said they wanted you to take insulin pills and insulin is never in a pill form.

there are pills that spur your own insulin production

but if you can’t produce enough then you need insulin shots.

what you meant is insulin stimulation pills

Old 12-30-2023, 02:38 PM

Is it better to say pills that affect your body's insulin?

And that will eventually require you to consume greater amounts of insulin?

Old 12-30-2023, 03:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,962 times
Quote:
So bottom line, his advice for diet seems to go against the grain of many "health gurus" out there. He feels I should be eating more frequent smaller meals; as opposed to the "new advice" about intermittent fasting/keto which I asked him about.
You are surprised that he's advising against following self-proclaimed profiteers promoting pseudoscience?

Look, it's your body, your life. You are not obligated to follow your doctor's advice. Do what you feel is right for yourself.

Old 12-30-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Is it better to say pills that affect your body's insulin?

And that will eventually require you to consume greater amounts of insulin?
i have been on glympride for years and it created no additional insulin demand .

what changed me is getting hospitalized with covid .

from that point on i needed a bigger dose .

off glympride the last 6 months and on 4.5 mg trulicity in a once a week shot.

diet and running 3.5 miles can’t do it

Old 12-30-2023, 04:12 PM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
You may be right, but I don't understand how that would work.

Based on "nutrional information" provided with each product, one egg is high in cholesterol ( 63% daily recommended based on 2000 calories per day ) with no sugar, and going from 42 to 28 oz of soda per day shows no change in cholesterol but a 54g reduction in sugar. Am I missing some insight ? I would love to understand this better.

I track all of my food and drink intake daily. My current three-month average is 2700 calories per day, 100% recommended cholesterol ( with the one egg daily ), 87g of protein and 200g of sugar. What I have not paid much attention to is carbs. which average 160% of the daily recommended. Since the daily recommended numbers are based on 2000 calories per day, my 2700 calories per day would imply the 160% carbs are okay.

With 2700 calories per day I do not gain or lose weight. I am 6' 3" tall and weigh 195#. I have been healthy for as long as I can remember.

Eating cholesterol has nothing to do with blood level cholesterol. Your liver will modulate your cholesterol level. Eating eggs does not raise blood cholesterol. If you eat too many eggs your liver removes the excess cholesterol from your blood. If you starve yourself of dietary cholesterol, your liver manufactures it. High blood cholesterol comes from specific health issues, not diet specifically.

If eggs cause high cholesterol, why wan't it epidemic in 1950 when everybody ate eggs for breakfast?

Old 12-30-2023, 04:38 PM

506 posts, read 259,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Eating cholesterol has nothing to do with blood level cholesterol. Your liver will modulate your cholesterol level. Eating eggs does not raise blood cholesterol. If you eat too many eggs your liver removes the excess cholesterol from your blood. If you starve yourself of dietary cholesterol, your liver manufactures it. High blood cholesterol comes from specific health issues, not diet specifically.

If eggs cause high cholesterol, why wan't it epidemic in 1950 when everybody ate eggs for breakfast?
Second part first, was anyone being testing for cholesterol in 1950? I certainly had never even heard of cholesterol until long after that. And I didn't get tested for it until I was in my 70s. And I seriously doubt that "everyone" ate eggs for breakfast in 1950. I certainly did not, and no one in my family did either, in 1950.

First part second. What you say may be true, I don't know. But I do know my own test results correlate directly with egg consumptiion. When my doctor said my cholesterol level was high, I had been having two eggs a day for decades. From that day on, I have had only one egg a day, and have made no other substantive changes to my diet or exercise ( adjusting my soda intake was a year or so before I tackled cholesterol ).

With two eggs a day my blood cholesterol numbers were high, so high that my doctor wanted me to take drugs, which I declined. Going to one egg a day cut my cholesterol numbers by almost half, and the new numbers have persisted ( at about the same levels, with only small variations ) as has my one-egg-per-day regimine. So whatever the liver is or is not doing, for me, there seems to be a direct correlation between the number of eggs consumed and blood level cholesterol. The correlation could not be any clearer.

If something else is causing it, then it must be aliens ! Who just happened to do their thing at the same time in history that I changed from two eggs per day to one.

Believing something does not make it true. It is either true or not. Moreover, generalizations are almost never true for everyone. And people's body chemistries can be very very different from one another. So maybe what you are saying is statistically true, for some or many people, but not for everyone.

Of course none of this proves eggs cause high cholesterol, I am not saying that, I am only saying that eggs are in at least some cases a significant factor in blood levels.

Last edited by Upminster-1; 12-30-2023 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes